PS4, Xbox One will be “bigger than last-gen,” says Riccitiello

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 21:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Former EA CEO John Riccitiello believes PS4 and Xbox One will be “bigger than the last generation.”

Speaking in an interview with GI International, Riccitiello feels the console will benefit from ease of use with the average consumer, and the fact that the systems are more connected.

“I think they’ll be bigger than the last generation, actually,” he said. “The last generation can be described as supercharged engines – they had super-powerful boxes. But the entirety of the online communication and being able to connect to your friends and all that stuff, a seamless, smooth, social experience, was just masking tape – barely put together.

“Remember that this was eight years ago. Most people were just moving on from their 28k modems. Now these are fully functioning, fully integrated online computers connected to the best screen in your house. You put a super computer under your TV, plug it in with one connection and it works. It knows who you are, it knows what your games are and it’s unbelievably simple; it’s not like PC plug and play, it’s just plug and play.

“The next generation of consoles are going to be a massive improvement on user interface. So I think that ‘s going to matter.”

Despite how well he thinks the new consoles will be received by the consumer, he feels tablets are the future. That being said, he feels consoles and touch devices will be able to “happily coexist.”

“I think touch changed everything, I think tablets are incredible,” Riccitiello said. “I think they’re probably… one of the best ways to game out there. I’m still a believer in the next generation of consoles but another billion and a half people came into the industry as a consequence of mobile and I think that’s a pretty cool place to focus.

“I’m a gamer, I like games, I like people who build them, and I’m going to continue to work with them.”

You can read more of the interview through the link above, or just go over some of the highlights we pulled for you, such as his thoughts on: Battlefield 4 finally winning over Call of Duty; the risks triple-A publishers face; and his distaste for developers who only get into the industry to make a quick buck.

1. Dragon246

Probably yeah. X1 and PS4 will probably sell at a faster rate than their predecessors. Despite the hate, MS is a receptive company. They will probably do whatever it takes to make X1 a success. After all, they are the masters of 360, and now, the 180.

#1 11 months ago
  2. For Blood

This king of fools sure tries to sound like he is a gamer, but it is painfully obvious he is not. If he really was his former company wouldn’t suck and blow at the same time.

#2 11 months ago
  3. bradk825

If I had read only this article, and not the others he’s featured in, I might not think he’s such a pompous asshole.

But I did read those other ones, didn’t I?

#3 11 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Holy cow has Riccitiello bought out VG247?

;)

#4 11 months ago
  5. Hcw87

Social integration and Tablet support isn’t exactly what i as a core gamer look forward to this gen.

I want good games, not any tacked on social crap that don’t make the game any better.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Watch DOgs, Division and Battlefield 4 all have cool and interesting ways to have tablet integration and I am all for it as a core gamer. We need to look into more asymmetrical gameplay and tablets are one way to do it. Still waiting until Nintendo does it.

#6 11 months ago
  7. xxJPRACERxx

People were using 28k modems in 2004-2005!?! Got my ADSL in 99.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Cobra951

@7: No way. Those are so last century.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Exzeerex

@7 lol, I thought the same thing.. More like third world countries was on 28k in 2005.

Even I was on a 2Mbit back then and that wasn’t even that high. 8Mbit by 2007.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Dragon246

@6,
    BF4 tablet integration? Didn’t heard about it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Llewelyn_MT

In Poland we started crawling towards home ADSL some 10 years ago. We’re Top 30 most developed country, so yeah, it’s just your perception.

#11 11 months ago