Neverwinter MMORPG has 2 million players, according to new video

Tuesday, 30th July 2013 20:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Neverwinter has over two million players, according to Perfect World Entertainment via a video on Polygon. The game launched back in June and takes place in the D&D world of the same name, thanks to developer Crytpic Studios. The MMORPG’s first add-on module, Fury of the Feywild, will be the first free update and releases on August 22.

1. DSB

Oh, it launched? Who knew?

#1 9 months ago
  2. revolting

As per the title, 2 million people knew.

I still log in from time to time. Amusing, if not compelling. The foundry is the best part by far (UGC FTW), and yet it receives virtually no love from Cryptic. It’s almost like they see enabling players to great content (some of which is much better than Cryptic’s) as competition, rather than the unique selling point it could and should be.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Some friends keep trying to get me to play it. I may over the long holiday break around Christmas when I’ll have more time.

#3 9 months ago
  4. dkpunk

It is pretty awesome game. The foundry is by far the cooliest feature. Haven’t played for a couple weeks. Probably get back into until ffXIV.

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I think that user generated content is where MMOs and games in general are missing out. If you look at Neverwinter Nights, this Neverwinter, Torchlight, and so on, and even Shadowrun Returns given some time, you’ll see content which is as good and even better than the original content.

This was the case for Fallout 3 as well, I had waaay more fun with Puce Moose’s story mods than I did with the game itself. Really, if you’ve never played Puce Moose’s stuff, do so, because you’re missing out otherwise. He’s released some stuff for New Vegas as well, and whilst it’s not quite as good as some of the content there (it is Obsidian, after all), it’s still better than certain bits of content even in New Vegas, and still amazingly fun.

This is why I’ve always been a proponent of allowing user generated playable content (missions) and such in MMOs. This is also why I’m not a fan of open world games, because open world games suck for UGC. Compare the content for Neverwinter with the content for Skyrim and you’ll see what I mean. Frankly, many of the quest mods for Skyrim suck, but that’s due to the editor being incredibly unfun to use. As I said, pretty much the best Bethesda stuff has come from Puce Moose, but he tends to deal with interiors and level design, mostly. I can understand why.

The editors of Neverwinter Nights I & II, by comparison, were far easier and more fun to use. And that’s why I tend to be a proponent of smaller areas (even sandboxy ones) rather than big, open world stuff. It’s hard to do proper design with an open world, because there’s just too much space. When you have a dungeon, though, you can really lay it out in clever ways, you can have jumping puzzles, Machiavellian logic puzzles, you can have fights where the enemies know how to use the environment, and so on.

There’s a reason why AI works better in set environments, because it can be scripted to use the environment. This is why bots in certain games which aren’t open world are really good at what they do.

So, I’m quite a fan of stuff like Neverwinter.

I haven’t really gotten into it yet because I’m still waiting for them to release the half-dragon race on the store, which I’m aware that they’re going to eventually do. Once that happens, I’ll start poking it more.

But the Foundry is definitely a step in the right direction. And MMOs with levels/small zone maps tend to be better designed than open world ones, too. With an open world, you have all this space and not much of it is very well designed at all.

For me, the foundry shows why good level design and user generated content both still matter.

#5 9 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Burn. And he deserved it. Some people can be real idiots when it comes to smaller studios, they’re brand zombies, so they automatically think that a smaller label like Cryptic can’t attract a bigger audience.

Yet Star trek Online has a considerable userbase which is growing all the time, and Neverwinter Nights now has two million users.

Oh those mindless zombies.

#6 9 months ago
  7. DSB

Haha. If that qualifies as a burn to you, you really are a desperate and pathetic little nerd.

Cryptic may not be the worst studio out there, but they have been hemorrhaging talent ever since selling to Atari. There was a clear decline in the service they provided for Champions Online over the years, which only served to undermine the games potential, and while I can’t speak for the actual quality of Neverwinter Nights, it just looks too much like every other MMO for me to really care.

We can’t all be arbitrary losers mistaking smaller studios for better studios, without ever considering their products.

And let’s not kid ourselves that two million is impressive for a free to play game. Even EA’s trashy freemium junkheaps can front five times that number. I guess that means they’re quality, right?

#7 9 months ago
  8. viralshag

Oh the “Brand zombie” nonsense is back again? I’m sure if you keep using the term enough someone might agree with you eventually… I doubt it though.

Good luck, Champion of the Free Thinkers!

#8 9 months ago
  9. Nikaas

I played for 20min two days after open beta release and i’m counted toward this 2 million.

Tl:DR – 2mil logged on F2P – not impressive.

#9 9 months ago
  10. revolting

I don’t see anyone claiming that 2 million is an especially large or significant number. However, the implication that nobody knew or cared that it launched is most certainly not accurate. Even if 75% of those 2 million were one time login tourists who didn’t like what they saw, it’s still not accurate to claim that nobody is interested in the game. A bunch of folks enjoy it.

Personally, I now only log in to see how my foundry content is doing (pretty well, as it happens, which keeps me coming back) and attempt to finish off making my campaign. But the game is always bustling with people, which is more than can be said for Champions Online, despite it being a better game in my opinion. Cryptic may have one that survives the long haul in Neverwinter, but only if they don’t neglect the community as much as they did with Champs, especially the foundry community.

#10 9 months ago
  11. DSB

@10 It really wasn’t meant to be any kind of definitive statement on Neverwinter Nights as a game, or Cryptics chops as a studio. I’m sure it’s perfectly playable and will find an audience somewhere.

I just think it says more about MMOs in general that you have a relatively high number of undoubtedly very expensive games launching every year with very few making any kind of a splash. It was supposed to be this huge gold rush after WoW, but instead the genre has been defined by spectacular failures.

You have juggernauts like LoL or World of Tanks with 40-60 million users, and then you have a growing ocean of effectively irrelevant also-rans. I didn’t even take note of this one launching, even though I do read a lot of gaming news, and I just thought that was pretty appropriate for how the MMO is faring right now.

#11 9 months ago
  12. paputsza

Of course no one cared that the game went live. The open beta had been going on for a month and promised no wipes, not to mention there was no new content. People were more excited about gauntlegrym and the feywild thing. Btw, the game takes about a month to reach level sixty if you have no life on weekend mornings like I do.

#12 8 months ago