Aliens: Colonial Marines actor Michael Biehn calls project “passionless”

Monday, 29th July 2013 12:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Aliens: Colonial Marines actor Michael Biehn has commented negatively on his experience in voicing Dwayne Hicks for the Gearbox Software shooter. By comparison however, he said his work on Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was enjoyable as the team at Ubisoft clearly had passion for the project.

Speaking with Game Informer, Biehn discussed his work as Rex ‘Power’ Colt in Blood Dragon, before commenting on his experience of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

“The only other gaming experience that I had was I did a voice [Corporal Hicks] in the Aliens game that they made,” he said. “That wasn’t fun at all. I just didn’t really have any fun. It seemed kind of passionless. I think in movies, television and the gaming world, you get some people that are really, really passionate, and some people that are just going through the paces.

“They think that because they have a brand name they’re going to get a hit game or hit movie out of it. That certainly was the situation on [Aliens: Colonial Marines].”

By contrast he added that Blood Dragon’s creative director Dean Evans showed so much enthusiasm for the game and the 1980s movies at the heart of the game’s comedic elements that he ended up having a blast.

“[Evans] was talking to me about the game and the fact that it was an ’80s throwback,” Biehn continued, “and there would be a lot of lines that were Arnold Schwarzenegger-like, that were Stallone-like, Bruce Willis, myself.

“Those kind of lines, that kind of vibe, and the fact that it was going to be a throwback to the ’80s was something that I thought was interesting. But really it was his passion, man. You just can’t say no to him.”

What did you think of Biehn’s performance in both game, and did Aliens: Colonial Marines feel passionless to you? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. actuallyisnotafox

it sold quite well I believe? it shows how much some people wanted the game gearbox explained and well… yeah it ended up passionless

#1 12 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

#2 12 months ago
  3. viralshag

FC: Blood Dragon – Awesome.
    A: CM – Should never have taken the job.

I can’t stress enough how big a pile of wank that game is.

#3 12 months ago
  4. The_Red

But what about Randy Pitchford’s super “passion” for aliens?

#4 12 months ago
  5. Kyle Jackson

It truly is Game over man.

#5 12 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

Man, I remember me and my besty took the day off work for A:CM’s release date – both looking forward to some Colonial co-op, natch – then met in town in front of GAME both looking like kids who’d had their lunch money stolen. Those early morning reviews came in the nick of time and we both bought other, better games instead.

The dude in front of us in the queue blatantly hadn’t done his homework however (or maybe had and didn’t care) and blew £90 on the Limited Edition version…I still feel sorry for that random, wreckless, cash-rich fool…*solitary tear runs down cheek*

#6 12 months ago
  7. skapunkmetalskater

@The_Red – Must have been Randy’s same passion he had for Duke Nukem… and what a stain that turned out to be.

#7 12 months ago
  8. bradk825

I’m glad I never picked up this game. It was going to be a “play later” title for me, but now it’s a “play never” title from everything I’ve heard.

I think any time the atmosphere at a company is described as “passionless” the product is going to suffer.

#8 12 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

In before: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is fucking awesome.

#9 12 months ago
  10. NocturnalB

Which if someone could help me make sure my facts are straight, A:CM was NOT the same branch of GearBox that made Borderlands, correct? Because if it was… That just wouldn’t make any sense.

#10 12 months ago
  11. DSB

@10 Supposedly it was the same team, but I think it’s extremely likely that Gearbox outsourced it.

They have the same problem with the Borderlands DLC. Gearbox got started by making DLC for Valve, so maybe it’s an ideological thing, but in Borderlands case you just don’t get the same quality as the rest of the game.

#11 12 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@10 Yeah, as best I understand it the game was initially being developed by GearBox in-house, and then at some point they farmed it all out to TimeGate (makers of Section8 ) who are now…liquidated, I guess (http://kotaku.com/the-studio-behind-aliens-colonial-marines-just-laid-of-498772251).

I’ve seen certain peeps still lay the blame fully at Gearbox’s feet though, arguing that if they’d just made the game themselves like they were asked to/paid for in the first place (by Sega, if my thinking’s right) then things might have gone completely differently.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Clupula

As soon as I heard that they brought back Hicks, Colonial Marines became a game I would never, ever play. That’s fan fiction at its worst when you bring back a dead character just because he happens to be one of your favorites. They didn’t even come up with a good reason for him to be back.

#13 12 months ago