PS4, Xbox One controllers now available for pre-order

Saturday, 27th July 2013 18:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Those wanting an extra controller to go along with their shiny new Xbox One console at launch might want to go ahead and pre-order one through the Microsoft Store and Amazon. The later also has the DualShock 4 controller available for pre-order.

As long as you are spending money on Xbox One controllers, go ahead and pre-order a headset while you are at it, along with a Play and Charge Kit. You can also pre-order the controller with the Play and Charge Kit.

If the MS Store and Amazon aren’t your thing, you can also pre-order through GameStop and Best Buy.

Amazon has the controller down for a November 27 release – which we would assume means the console itself is slated for that date as well. Until Microsoft confirms this – consider it a placeholder.

Links to where to spend money are above.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Aullah

I always found it funny, that you only get 1 controller when you buy a console.

#1 9 months ago
  2. SlayerGT

They have a silver metallic DS3 that looks bad ass ..but my white import is still going strong. Figures crossed Sony releases a PS1 grey DS4..would be pretty retro.

#2 9 months ago
  3. gomersoul

so you still need batteries for xbox? greedy bastards, GIVE US VALUE MICROSOFT IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO!!!

#3 9 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

I prefer using conventional batteries in my controller. It’s super easy to change the batteries in the 360 controller, takes 20 seconds and I’ve got full charge.

On the PS3 I must plug the controller and the cable length is just enough (12′). And I hate the feeling of a plugged controller.

I use rechargeable batteries and I can play about 10 hours with a full charge, including voice chat while gaming.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

It uses a mini-usb cord there are much longer versions. Hell I bought one for the same price you pay for a package of batteries. Great thing is you can just leave it plugged in to a PC and it charges the device. I even use the controller for PC games.

#5 9 months ago
  6. nervedamaged

How is this news? When I preordered my ps4, I preordered a controller too, and this was done right after the sony e3 conference, I also preordered the camera. And I did it with amazon, so i dont get the article.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Sang2

Didn’t know VG247 gets paid to make Microsoft advertisements, why even link Microsoft stores and recommend headsets and battery packs? Really low level.

#7 9 months ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

@5 Ok, but even if the cable was free, what’s the point of having a wireless controller if you need to plug it? I’m not a fanboy but I really prefer the MS way. I just prefer everything that operate with removable batteries.

#8 9 months ago
  9. gomersoul

then you are living in the past my friend, rechargeable controllers are a much more efficient way of using electricity. Microsoft do it their way so they can squeeze more money out of you for recharge packs. if you tried it the ps3 way you would see that its very rare you run out and if you have a charge dock you never need worry, it’ll be even better on ps4 because it will charge while switched off which is an added bonus. still no usb port on the back to keep my tv unit free from ugly wires mind, but you can’t have it all! :)

#9 9 months ago
  10. sg1974

25 bucks for a rechargeable battery? WTF?

#10 9 months ago
  11. Beersup

All the conversations on PS4′s “new” cross game chat will be about MS and the XBone.
    Can’t wait.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Christopher Jack

Why does the XBone still use AA batteries? Does it at least come with a charging cable? Most the time the charging cable can power the device without a battery.

#12 9 months ago
  13. xxJPRACERxx

@9 WTF? I never said I use the MS recharge pack, I’ve said I use conventional rechargeable batteries. The same batteries that go in my TV remote, the PS3 BD remote, my camera, my DVR and other things I can’t remember.

I never have to plug anything, except for the PS3 controller (and of course the charger with the batteries).

And when the PS3 controller battery will die I won’t have to order a battery from some obscure place or ebay and wait for it for delivery and open the controller to change it.

@12 “Why does the XBone still use AA batteries?”
    Because that’s the most popular battery type. You can get them everywhere for cheap.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Phoenixblight

You are reaching there are actually very few devices outside of children toys that use batteries. Microsoft was just being lazy getting a recharge battery in the controller is dirt cheap now more than ever but hey MS wants to charge 30$ for their recharge pack.

#14 9 months ago
  15. stretch215

I’d rather have a wired controller, personally. Especially for online mp.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Christopher Jack

@15, I personally favour a wireless one but with a solid charging cable. I admit that I hate Microsoft’s use of a proprietary cable but at least it’s somewhat solid, the real issue is the length in my opinion.

#16 9 months ago
  17. xxJPRACERxx

@14 Maybe you don’t have a lot of stuff that work with AA batteries but I do. You can add my wireless keyboard, trackball and headphone to that list.

One of my friend told me her vibrator uses AA batteries, see, they’re everywhere (and I’m not kidding, I really called her to ask her that)!

I’m glad MS stick to AA. And like I’ve said AA batteries are super cheap, even rechargeable ones.

Also, I think I’ve got the same 12 batteries (1 charger + 6 batteries + a 6 pack, all for about $50) for almost 5 years now and I still got around 10 hours of play with the MS controller with voice chat.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Phoenixblight

You still have to buy them where for the PS3 and Ps4, I don’t have to buy batteries or any additional device as I stated you can just take that usb dongle plug it to your PC as you sleep and it will be ready to go when you next play.

Also I don’t need AA device because everything I have is wired or if it needs power it has a way to recharge without batteries like my keyboard that takes solar power. There are also vibrators that have a recharge station. Batteries are for the 90′s. MS was lazy; tablets, smartphones, bluetooth and various other devices are not battery centric. There was no reason to go with the battery route other than to sell the play and pack sets or sell the license to Mad Catz or similar companies to create one themselves.

#18 9 months ago
  19. SlayerGT

Not sure if you battery convo guys knew, but MS’s rechargeable packs for 360 are just two AA batteries in a plastic case. Probably worth $2.

#19 9 months ago
  20. xxJPRACERxx

@18 Ok, you have a view about this that is totally different from mine. I can give you my opinion and you can give me yours, I don’t think we’ll agree on this.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

“You prefer to recharge your devices directly, I prefer to recharge the energy source and have more in reserve and switch when needed.”

Its not about directly vs reserve. You are paying out the ass for it while I pay 0-4$ for it.

#21 9 months ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

@21 If it was just for the 360 controller I agree with you, paying $50 for charger and batteries would not be a very smart solution. But like I’ve said, I need these batteries anyway for all my other devices that require it.

#22 9 months ago
  23. bradk825

@16 it always comes down to length in the end.

#23 9 months ago