Torchlight 2 has sold over 2 million copies

Thursday, 25th July 2013 16:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Torchlight 2 has sold over 2 million copies, Runic Games has announced.

The sales milestone was hit last week while the Steam sale was going on, and the game has been out since September 2012.

“We are overwhelmed by the reception for Torchlight 2. To hit this milestone is a testament not only to our dedicated development team, but also to the greatest, most positive gaming community I’ve ever seen,” CEO Max Schaefer in the announcement.

“I’d just like to say a big thank you to all the players who offered their suggestions on what we could improve, and who stuck with us and supported us during development. It wouldn’t have been possible without you, and we’re humbled and grateful at your response.”

The first game in the series sold over one million units in its first two years of release, bringing the franchise life-to-date sales to over 3 million.

1. KineticCalvaria

Wow, I was actually expecting higher, especially with all the sales its been in. But even so that’s pretty good!

#1 1 year ago
  2. roadkill

And D3 sold so many more. The human race is so fucking retarded.. :sigh:

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

About damn time. Really underappreciated gem. Love the mods for it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MFBB

#2 your taste in games dosnt reflect the whole gaming community :)

I dont like Torchligt at all.

While Diablo 3 was not as good as Diablo 2, still a lot better than Torchlight for me.

Sold ~15million copies so far

Now lets wait 15 years for Diablo 4 and hope its good.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

It’s the brand zombies. You’ll have people who’ll buy anything put out by a specific name, no matter what. Blizzard could release one of Bobby Kotick’s turds, branded with the Blizzard logo, and people would pay twenty quid for it easily without even really thinking about what they’re buying.

I’m just glad that Torchlight II sold as well as it did. Just remember, something selling well is not a metric of something being good. If that were true, then The Titanic is a work of art, whereas Pan’s Labyrinth is ghetto trash. Just let that knowledge sit for a bit and percolate, you’ll feel better.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

Haha, yes that’s right guys. Let’s make up some excuses as to why D3 sold more than Torchlight II… Oh those damn brand zombies!

I’m with #4, D3 wasn’t amazing but boy was T2 nothing special either. It’s ok though folks, I’m sure if they’re smart enough they’ll release the game on the next-gen consoles so it can get more of the sales it probably does deserve.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

Shall we compare marketing budgets for the two games? One was a monster release from a mega dev and a mega pub. The other was a glorified indie game. 2 Million is good.

Yes I own D3, yes I enjoyed D3, but you would have to be blind to honestly think they are on equal footing. And really why bother comparing at all? They should both be in your library if you enjoy arpgs. Hating on Tourchlight is just as dumb as hating on D3.

Neither game was perfect, but both very enjoyable.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

SWTOR had a massive marketing budget and one of the most popular brands associated, that didn’t help it sell anything like D3. You could use marketing as a reason why D3 is more popular but it’s just not a written rule.

On the flip side how did Minecraft become the success it is without that sort of budget? Bottom line, marketing budgets don’t always sell games and “glorified indie games” can do as well as AAA titles.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

It’s definitely not just marketing, a lot of my co-workers have been talking about that game for years, maybe a lot of it was also nostalgia? In any case, they wouldn’t stop talking and unlike us geeks, they also talked to other people about it who are not familiar with games at all.

#9 1 year ago
  10. freedoms_stain

Diablo 3′s sales figures had a lot less to do with marketing and a lot more to do with Diablo 2.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Hybridpsycho

I’m surprised, but I guess it sells cause of all the sales even though it’s a shitty game :/

Honestly, it’s terribly overrated.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

Um, most folks I know that bought it, bought the game in junction with wow subscriptions. That is marketing boys and girls. That is how I bought the game.

I do agree that the Diablo name helped, D2 was a great game and has great pull. But like someone else said..brand name.

The SW MMO was complete trash in the eyes of many folks. Even if it isn’t, it is just another in a long line of WoW clones. Beyond dedicated fans of SW and MMO players, that game had very little draw.

Minecraft is the exception and not the rule. Also almost half of the overall Minecraft sales numbers are on something other a PC. And heavily promoted on XBL. Plus, like I said, the game is a poster child for indie success stories.

Look at the store shelfs, look at the window sticker on the way in, don’t fool yourself marketing matters. Maybe as much as or even more then anything else.

#12 1 year ago
  13. GwynbleiddiuM

Half of the reason I don’t like Torchlight games all that much is the uninspired art direction and green and blue environment. Action RPGs should be grim and dark with horrifying demons lurking around the world and the deeper you go in the darker and grimmer it becomes. Without that I have no reason to fight.

I don’t want to say look how cute that little skeleton is or what a sweet cockroach humanoid that just poped out of an adorably designed sewage system every time I get in side a dungeon.

#13 1 year ago