Rift players “aren’t frickin’ ATM machines”, says dev

Wednesday, 24th July 2013 23:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Rift’s senior designer kept one important fact in mind during the MMO’s transition to a free-to-play model: players are not cash cows to be milked.

“I just hate that word ‘monetise’. ‘Let’s monetise our players!’ They’re people and they’re playing a game because they want to have fun, they’re not a frickin’ ATM machine,” Trion Worlds’ Simon Ffinch told PCGamesN.

“I don’t like that attitude at all, and in the business world you can’t help but hear it. In the development team we actively fight against it.

“I mean hey, I want to have a job, I want to have enough money to pay my mortgage and feed my family and I love making the game and I want to continue doing that. Obviously I want people to buy stuff but I don’t want them to ever feel like that’s why I want them in Rift.”

Ffinch said the reason he wants players in Rift is because he’s proud of what the development team have achieved, and that he and his colleagues enjoy playing anonymously alongside punters just for the fun of it. He does use these play sessions as a chance to gather feedback, though.

“I hear the raw feedback that’s for sure. So I know what people like and what they don’t,” he said, noting that it’s not always positive, or kindly worded.

“I don’t take that personally. Sometimes I gently probe, being careful to not reveal who I really am, and then we talk about it with the team,” he added.

Apparently, players seem pretty happy with Rift in the month since it chucked subscription fees.

“It’s been amazing. It’s doing very well for us,” Ffinch said.

“That’s where the industry was going, that’s what our players wanted, we just wanted to remove that barrier of entry so that everyone could just jump in and play under the assumption that if they loved what they were doing and played Rift and thought that it was a great game, they’d buy a hat.”

1. Aullah

The micro system is good… but…
    Im not a graphic whore but I stopped playing RIFT for 2 weeks, because it IS the most unoptimised game I ever played. runs horrible. Horrible.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Rakor

So you have probably never seen star wars the old republic.
    Illum times and when there were more than 4-5 players on the screen the famous hero engine was slowing down as hell man. 5 fps per second. I still have screenshots if you like;)
    Rift is not that bad compareing to that bollicks. And its the best ftp model on the market.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Kalain

I just found rift to be dull. The quests were uninspired and the overall feel felt sluggish and unplayable to me.

As for best FTP, I hand that crown to Turbine as their model is excellent.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GrimRita

@1@3 – You must have either boosted the graphics up beyond the capability of your system, or you’re talking out of your arse. I’ve never experienced any issues with Rift. Hell, I even uploaded videos in game during a Rift moment and experienced zero lag, drop in frame rates – anything.

And as #2 said, you should have tried Ilum with 5 players. Probably one of THE worst moments in MMO history. A PvP planet that cant handle PvP!

On topic, I think it’s a bit rich now that some companies are starting to offer in game stores with MTs AND subscription fees. The model simply doesnt work – just as Bioware and SWTOR. 25% drop in subscription numbers as more switch to F2P.

I’ve said it before – Riot have it spot on with league of legends showing you how a game can do extremely well, make money and have MTs and be a TRUE free to play game, not some freemium bull shit.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kalain

Oh, I’m sorry for having a different opinion that you on a game which you like. Didn’t realise it was a crime. And no, my PC is more than capable of running Rift on it’s max settings, since it’s an i7 2700k and a 4GB 680.

Where did I say I suffered from drop frame rates or lag? I didn’t have any. If you actually read what I said you would understand that.

Rift, in MY OPINION, is a poor game with poor mechanics, very sluggish controls and uninspired quests. The ‘Dynamic Rifts’ were dull after fourth one as it was just grind grind grind.

You might enjoy playing rift but not swtor, but I enjoyed it the other way round. swtor, whilst have bad mechanics and a some horrendous lag on planets, had a far better story and substantially better quests/missions, which is what I look for in a game. Rift didn’t grip me, even after 3-4 hours playing, whilst swtor did.

Opinions. You should learn to understand that other peoples opinions will be different from yours..

#5 1 year ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@5, to be honest you’ve just summed up every MMO in existence, they’re all grindfests and lack even the slightest notion of fun. Guild Wars 1 and 2 the exceptions :).

I agree that Rift and SWTOR are both poorly optimized.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

Guild Wars 2 sucks donkey balls… FACT! ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. GrimRita

@5 – quoting you was actually what we call a mistake. So deal with it. SWTOR, Rift are more or less WoW in a different frock. Both offering nothing new – but Rift simply has better tools and a better game engine.

SWTOR has to be probably the worst so called ‘triple A’ MMO in terms of performance. Awful Hero engine proves it can’t do MMOs or Bioware don’t understand the tech.

If you want a game to feel sluggish, give Guild Wars 2 a try. It sits under Rift but above SWTOR.

As #6 said, MMOs are just generic piles of shit that try to copy a game from 2004, fail and wonder why. The genre is ready for something fresh, open world, sandbox – will Wildstar offer that? Who knows

#8 1 year ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@7, well that’s not very nice is it! Just cos I don’t play My Little Pony Online like you Mr. Viral!

@8, sluggish? Sluggish? SLUGGISH?!

Well I don’t think it is :-), it’s certainly not behind Rifts grindfest.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

@9, :D Stop checking my most played on Steam!!

Are you actually still playing GW2 regularly? I might jump back on and would preferably join up with a reasonably active guild or something.

Regarding Rift, it’s been one of my more favoured MMO experiences in recent years. The talent trees and system was great and I loved the fact you could just create what you wanted essentially and fail at a build. It’s a little more structured into cookie cutter builds which is a shame but I think the game still worth a play.

#10 1 year ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@10, yeah jumped back into it about a month ago now, honestly I think it’s a superb game. Well my guild is pretty active, we all help each other out. Levelling my second character to 80 at the moment, level 42 so far.

I think the key to enjoying the game is just to take your time and not over do it, the minute you start grinding stuff is when you’ll get bored, as it is with most games.

I was a bit harsh on Rift, I enjoyed it during beta, it has some great ideas but ultimately too much like WoW for me.

#11 1 year ago