Dead Rising 3′s ‘Nightmare Mode’ adds classic time-sensitive events

Tuesday, 23rd July 2013 11:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Rising 3 doesn’t follow the painful time-sensitive system of the first two games, that demanded you be in certain places at set times, but Capcom Vancouver has revealed that you can turn schedules on in Nightmare Mode.

Speaking with AusGamers, Dead Rising 3 producer Josh Bridge said of Nightmare Mode, “We purposely built a non time-restrictive mode and a completely time-restrictive mode – both following the same storyline.

“So if you want to, it’ll completely hand your ass to you with Nightmare Mode where the time-limit is going to be pushing you along a schedule – you’re going to have to meet and finish the missions at a certain time or you’re going to miss them; you’re going to miss the optional content; you’re going to run out of time – a bomb is going to likely nuke the whole area.

“You can only save in Washrooms and it [just] keeps that classic pressure,” he went on. “But if you want to have the freedom to explore… we have a bigger world and there’s even more stuff to do in it than any other Dead Rising, and if you want that and to take it all at your own leisure, that’s there for you. You can even hop between both modes if you want – it all goes to the one profile and saves all your experience points.”

This will come as good news to those who like the time-pressures of the original Dead Rising games, and the confirmation of XP sharing across both modes on one profile means you wont start from scratch if you decide to dabble in Nightmare Mode.

Bridge confirmed that you’ll meet survivors in Dead Rising 3 who will need rescuing, but added that players can also give them perks and issue commands using Kinect.

What do you think? let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. unacomn

Well, at least their making that crap optional.
    I just hope that the survivors aren’t, this time, complete asshats. In DR2, after a while, I just let them die so I could see the annoying buggers suffer.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

The timed thingy was the worst thing. But who cares, it will be on xbone.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hcw87

Time-sensitive crap has no place in any game. It’s what put me off the first two DR games. You need to be able to play at your own phase, and not forced along a set route.

#3 1 year ago
  4. gameon

I do not like time-sensitive missions, however it gave the Dead Rising games extra pressure and a sort of realism (as far as that goes in zombie games). So I think I would use the Nightmare mode in this one.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Psychotext

Even as a completionist (and an obsessive one at that), I loved the time sensitive events in Dead Rising. They served to back up the fact that no-one could save everyone or do everything in a situation like that so you have to make the best use of your time.

But yeah, the AI does definitely need to be kicked up a few notches.

#5 1 year ago
  6. naffgeek

I liked em too but I would have liked to explore at my own pace sometimes so this will be perfect.

If I was going to buy an xbox, which I am most certainly not.

Hope it comes out on the PS4 or Pc eventually

#6 1 year ago
  7. DreadSabot

Works for me, I enjoyed the 1st game but sometimes the timer made it too hard, I like to play at my leisure and now I will have the option. Looks like this will be the 1st game I pop into my new X1 on day 1.

#7 1 year ago