Monaco Xbox 360 sales ‘very disappointing’, says dev

Tuesday, 16th July 2013 01:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Manco: What’s Yours Is Mine under-performed on Xbox 360, Andy Schatz has said.

“I was never depending on the Xbox being our primary revenue generator, but I was very disappointed in Xbox sales nonetheless,” Schatz wrote in response to a discussion on Reddit.

“We put a ton of effort porting the game, and to have that effort be largely wasted was really disappointing.”

Schatz said the game’s demo isn’t very strong, and admitted that a last minute delay “unquestionably” had a negative effect; interestingly, he confirmed that Microsoft’s recent axing of fees related to patching had been a big help.

“We had to submit two patches, and luckily they had already relaxed the charges for that process about a month prior,” Schatz said.

The developer had nothing negative to say on the subject of developer relations with Microsoft, noting only that Majesco, which published the game on Xbox Live, acted as a “buffer”, and that any complaints he has about the process will remain private to the three companies.

Microsoft has taken a real beating in the press form indie devs recently, with Fez developer Polytron the latest to call out the platform holder; notably, the game has made more sales on Steam than Xbox Live, despite launching as a Summer of Arcade exclusive. some indies have nothing but praise for Microsoft, but Nintendo and especially Sony are clearly winning the indie relations PR war at the moment.

Thanks, Shack News.

1. SlayerGT

Should port it to the Vita. I understand its quite the indie machine. Two reasons I can think of..Hardcore gamers have them and want good games to play, and most indies are digestible in smaller chunks perfect for mobile gaming.

#1 1 year ago
  2. astronaughte

The only reason I didn’t buy it was the price. I’m not going to spend $15 on an arcade game, I’ll buy it when it goes on sale.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

But I thought everything sells on the Xbox 360. I wish Konami would come out and say the Xbox 360 sales of MGS Rising were disappointing…..Or a complete failure.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MCTJim

Not at 15 bucks it wont be a success.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Microsoft is to indies what Nintendo are to publishers.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stardog

If it was a slow paced stealth-em-up like a 2D Thief I would’ve bought it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gigabomber

Well, at least he blamed himself. The game is clearly multiplayer centric, and it’s not particularly easy to get friends behind an arcade game.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

@3 – They’re not going to do that when Microsoft obviously pays them a lot of money to put what is primarily a Playstation franchise on their system, as well.

It’s not a surprise that a Metal Gear game wouldn’t do well on 360. It did great on PS3 and I’m sure that’s where the majority of their profit forecast came from on it. I mean, you realize they didn’t even bother to make a 360 version for Japan, so that means they pretty much knew that the Western 360 version was just gravy on top of whatever profit the PS3 one would make.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Cobra951

This is a game I would have jumped on a year or 2 ago. Now, there’s just too much other stuff happening–more interesting stuff. Sorry, guy. I can only play so much. And yeah, $15 is a bit steep. I just got Witcher 2, Enhanced Edition on XBL for $10 last week!

#9 1 year ago
  10. JimFear-666

stop crying and bring your game on ps3/vita =)

#10 1 year ago
  11. backup

360 is dead just like PC

#11 1 year ago
  12. MrWaffles

Small games not being cheap enough is the issue, plus, not offering a clear roadmap of periodic updates doesn’t help.

If you promise more (free) updates to come, people will take the risk and buy your tiny game.

Believe ir or not, long term value seems to be something gamers appreciate and actually take in consideration.

#12 1 year ago
  13. sh4dow

“Manco”? Is that a weird sequel to Monaco already? :P

And it’s mind-boggling how much people bitch about the price here! An embarrassment how greedy they are!
    And an indicator that they really shouldn’t have made it Steam-exclusive. At least I would’ve been happy to pay $15 for a DRM-free version. Apparently in contrast to Steam-lovers…

#13 1 year ago