Mad Max gameplay trailer shows driving, combat & plot

Monday, 15th July 2013 14:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Mad Max developer Avalanche Studios has released a gameplay trailer for its post-apocalyptic open world romp.

The game caused a bit of a stir after E3 for its depiction of an American Max. Fans voiced their concerns, which then prompted Avalanche to change the main voice actor to Australian, as per Mel Gibson in the movies.

Mad Max is due in 2014, and it’s heading to PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. Bam007

As an Aussie, I am stoked and anticipating this games release. Was disappointed when it was revealed that the character won’t have an Australian accent, but the developers decided to change that.

Here’s hoping that it’s not a horrible accent like in Dead Island!

#1 1 year ago
  2. dex3108

That was disappointing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. actuallyisnotafox

it was eh.. yeah, although it does seem interesting :p

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kyle Jackson

Awful.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hcw87

Awful graphics, so can’t really be the next gen version.

Also, no gameplay.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Biscuitpants

caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnttttttttttttttttttttttt waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

An opportunity potentially squandered. I’ll be keeping an eye on it, but at a distance I think. I guess it’s early days still though so who knows!

#7 1 year ago
  8. yeoung

I sincerely hope Just Cause III is also being worked on, because this just seems to have a much smaller scope than JCII.

If they had kept the scope of gameplay intact, and then added this, what seems like an engaging narritive driven game, it’d be a winner. To be fair, it’s just the reveal, but a reveal is supposed to wow you.

So far not so much.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hcw87

I guess this wasn’t JC 3 after all then. Oh well.

#9 1 year ago
  10. wildBoar

Crossgen.. Ugh. Do we have to wait till 2015 before games can stop running on shitty enough engines for old hardware?

Can’t say his design looked all that interesting either.. His face looks like a mash of every generic shooter protagonist ever.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OmegaSlayer

Unimpressed

#11 1 year ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

@10 Again, it’s going to take someone taking a risk (and that risk paying off), for the bandwagon to start rolling, in the event that uptake from consumers on next-gen systems is more drawn-out.
    Those “putting it on the line” risks…

Protracted, because the variety is stifled. Why, then, would people get hyped over more of the same? That’s the puzzling part of a cross-gen building strategy – with that, they’re committing to neither, and I cannot believe it escapes people’s notice. Gaming still going for the short-term fix?

For the trailer…I was hoping this would be more about the title character. I did not think that reflecting female voiceover was the best fit.
    This is the second time that they’ve established the backdrop. We get a broader picture, but the exposition of our narrator doesn’t show us any more. (unless we didn’t already know the property – SHOULD they assume that familiarity?) I do believe I asked for something like this in my reaction to the roadkill reveal trailer, but I felt this was a little nondescript in delivery – unless, the point was to just to use really sweeping brushstrokes. It could be a grower.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Edo

Yeah,that was kind of underwhelming…and Max looks so…uninspiring.

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

The game is suffering from the John Carter syndrome. You know, the big budget Disney movie that bombed? Not only he old / original book came before Avatar, Star Wars and other fantasies, it inspired most of them.

So when the JC movie was made, everyone had already seen it before. Same thing has happened to Mad Max. The movie (And its sequel) inspired Wasteland, Fallout, Rage and Borderlands. Now that we have gotten used to all those games, a Mad Max feels kinda pointless (Still have faith in Avalanche though!).

#14 1 year ago
  15. SplatteredHouse

@14 Interesting. One of my reactions watching the trailer for the first time was, actually, “this looks a lot like Fallout”. Though I put the association aside, because of the gameplay style difference.

Someone make a Transporter game! There isn’t yet one of those, and there should be. In related: http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/22/new-transporter-trilogy-bound-for-big-screen-with-parts-4-5-and-6-announced-3805144/ \o/

#15 1 year ago
  16. The_Red

Same here. The similarities aren’t even coincidental. Fallout purposefully took the car, the dog and one sleeve black jacket from Mad Max games and it was one of the reasons I loved it so much back then (LOVED the Road Warrior).

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheLastDodo

Great point.

I wasn’t blown away but not put off either, I think your point is why I’m straight down the middle on that trailer.

I’m sure it’ll be fun but if this had come 5 years ago I imagine I’d be going mental right now.

#17 1 year ago
  18. TheDuckPortal

expected a lot less, was surprised at how good it looks.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Max Payne

All of sudden Rage looks like a fresh game.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DSB

Personally I don’t think it looks that bad. I have faith in Avalanche, I’m expecting some stupid action, and they do pretty well with that.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ClubCyberia

They forgot to put the gameplay in this gameplay trailer.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

What’s with the negativity? Has none of you played Just Cause 2? How can you doubt those guys?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Edo

@22 I am trusting them with the gameplay department but the narrative isn’t really their thing(to put it mildly)and again…HOLY FUCK does Max look generic or what…

#23 1 year ago
  24. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

Man, I couldn’t even sleep last because of how goddamn excited I was for this! I wouldn’t say that I’m disappointed, but I aint gigglin’ like a little girl as I should be. I guess I was hoping for a GTA 5-type gameplay trailer. This looks like the trailer they should have shown at E3.

But being the open-world games junkie that I am, buying this is inevitable.

#24 1 year ago
  25. polygem

bad trailer. really really disappointed. i still hope for an open world game that makes me feel like i am in constant danger. a true survivor/apocalypse/scavenge to survive/slow paced action game where every single bullet counts.
    the mad max ip has great potential. that trailer was shit. still hoping.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Mjorh

It ain’t look promising , a liitle bit let down ! its just a trailer after all n i’m waiting 4 atleast a gameplay trailer 2 figure it out!

#26 1 year ago