GTA 5 launch will not harm PS4 & Xbox One sales, says analyst

Thursday, 11th July 2013 11:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5′s September 17 release on current-gen platforms will do little to dent sales of PS4 and Xbox One consoles, but could set current-gen records according to a group of analysts.

Speaking with GI International, EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich said, “PlayStation 4 and Xbox One continue to stay at the top of the charts on Amazon.com. Consumers are clearly excited for the next generation of consoles to launch. I don’t foresee one current generation game, no matter how large it is, impacting the start of the next generation of consoles.”

International Data Corporation analyst Lewis Ward feels the opposite, as reported yesterday: “A lot of gamers are going to stick by their Xbox 360s, Wii/Wii Us, and PS3s at least until the 2014 holiday season, when the game catalog will be a lot bigger and some of the online kinks will have been worked out. That also means that games like GTA V should have plenty of runway to sell well in the meantime, as long as they deliver the goods.”

Independent analyst Billy Pigeon agreed with Ward’s stance, adding, “I’d expect the game to have a positive influence on [current-gen] hardware sales, particularly when bundled with hardware by retailers. If there are concurrent price drops for Xbox 360 and PS3, that positive effect will be even stronger.”

If you missed Rockstar’s GTA 5 gameplay reveal trailer earlier this week, or just want to undress it again with your eyes, you can watch it here.

1. Lengendaryboss

It is that big of a game.

GTA V.

17.September.2013

Hype.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 ‘Where were you when GTA 5 launched grandad?’

‘Playing GTA 5, what do you think?’

#2 1 year ago
  3. setohayato

GTA really does demand attention. I am really looking forward to five but man four was a real disappointment for me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

@Dave
    LOL :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. stretch215

@dave Do you have any idea when they’re planning on revealing the mp?

#5 1 year ago
  6. naffgeek

Tell that to my Pre-order Mr Divnich.

I have decided to wait until mid next year and news of RockStar/Rocksteady/Naughty Dog’s next gen debut.

Until them I have a shit load to play.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

He probably does but embargo. Its coming sometime in summer.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 honest truth, no idea. Rockstar never reveal things early. They decide when you can be told, and only then.

#8 1 year ago
  9. stretch215

@7, 8 cool, thanks. I’m pumped.lol

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

it maybe harm the xbone sales but not the ps4 sales that’s for sure…

#10 1 year ago
  11. aseddon130

@10 – wow, fanboy by name and fanboy by nature eh???

I predict a spring release for GTA V Xbox One and PS4 release.

#11 1 year ago
  12. MFBB

I think Rockstar is going to release a PS4/Xbone version 2014.

They just dont want to announce it cause many people would wait and dont buy the PS3/Xbox360 version.

Think about how much GTA5 will sell…probably 25-30million, but over ~5 years and not just 2013/2014.

If they limit GTA5 to the old consoles, sales will go down in 2014 and even more in the following years.

They have to release a PS4/Xbonx version, no way around it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. wrklnt

patience is a virtue, i rather wait half a year than play a shooter not with a mouse, keyboard and gamepad

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dimaco

I guess everyone who is planning to buy or has already preordered a next gen console is probably going to buy gta5 anyway (2 plain months to next gen release), so I don’t see it impact on next gen consoles’ sales. Well, at least that’s what I’ll do.

#14 1 year ago
  15. machy

i got so bored with GTA4 and i stopped playing it and switched to MGS4 and i was mind blowing

#15 1 year ago
  16. xxJPRACERxx

I’ve played hundred of hours in GTA4. Tried MGS4… Damn I got so bored, switched back to GTA.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Resident gamer

@15&16 LOL.

MGS4=Great game (probably not a great MGS game though)
    GTA4=The worst game in the series, grey, boring, ‘realistic’, and brick cars=trash.

MGS5, Looks like it is going to be amazing.
    GTA5, Looks like it is going to be amazing.

Why compare the last games when both of these games are going to be amazing, just play them both.

The POS that was GTA4 has ZERO bearing on the quality of GTA5 (GTA5 looks and is explained and shown to be a million times more fun and better then GTA4)

#17 1 year ago
  18. xxJPRACERxx

Of course GTA V is gonna be amazing and surely much better than GTA IV. But GTA IV is the best GTA to date for me. I wasn’t a fan of the earlier GTAs except Vice City, but even then, I prefer the more realistic setting of GTA IV.

I’m really not a fan of MGS but really, I’m just not a fan of Japanese games with their crazy shit that make no sense. I like old Japanese culture though, with ninjas and samurais.

#18 1 year ago
  19. natashaa

I love gta but come. On ps4 and xbox 1 is sold out!!!!!! This cant stop the sales people have a ps3 and still ordering ps4 this is a joke one game cant stop no show!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Kreion

Mmm, defining GTA as a shooter is really pushing it xD I mean you do shoot in it, but it’s not like accuracy is key in GTA. The best part about GTA on the PC is the mods, though that isn’t enough to make me want to buy it (plus my PC is getting a bit dated so whilst I could play it, it wouldn’t run the best).

I’ll deff get it on next gen over current gen, I mean why wouldn’t you especially when there’s either no backwards compatibility (X1) or limited (Ps4)

#20 1 year ago