Saints Row 4 dev not worried about next-gen competition

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 22:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Launching just ahead of next-generation consoles, Saints Row 4 may face less robust competition than previous series entries did.

Volition Inc senior producer Jim Boone told GamesIndustry he isn’t that worried about competition from next generation games. In fact, he was more worried about Saints Row: The Third, which released in competition to a packed 2011 triple-A line-up.

“There were a lot of big heavy hitters going out at the same time, so I wondered. And it went out and was the biggest Saints Row game we’ve done yet,” he said.

“I think the big thing that we have going for us is that our game is so unique and different from everything else that’s out there, and because we have an audience that absolutely loves this game, that helps us cut through some of the other noise that’s out there.”

Speaking of what’s “unique” about the Saints Row series, Boone commented on the fact that the arguably satirical series has never achieved the same kind of mainstream notoriety as Grand Theft Auto or Mortal Kombat.

“It seems like we never get mentioned. The only thing I can think of is because we’re always so tongue-in-cheek and irreverent about it, that I think people get that – in our own twisted, warped way – it’s all in good fun,” he said.

“People understand there’s a certain levity to what we’re doing. I think it’s good that we debate such things, but not surprisingly, I tend not to think it’s any worse for viewers than watching an R-rated movie. It’s just entertainment.”

Saints Row 4 releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in August, whereas the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One aren’t expected till November; Sony hasn’t confirmed a launch month at all.

1. silkvg247

I actually wish they hadn’t gone so balls mental with the series. As said elsewhere, SR wins for it’s versatility.. no need to add the superhero nutjobmechanics.

Regardless I’ll buy it, but not day 1 .. I am yorkshire and few titles gain that privilege.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SlayerGT

@1 After all the praise you won’t show support? Starting to sound like gamer entitlement to me.

#2 1 year ago
  3. silkvg247

@2 Hell no, I got brought up by my yorkshire father and I have his values ie be a tight ass and pay as little as possible. But even then I will pay for my PC games.. sod piracy.. even pre-steam I didn’t do that shit.

#3 1 year ago
  4. silkvg247

Let me elaborate somewhat.. I personally. being a gamer of (I think) sound mind.. have never for one moment thought any game to be worth over 15 english Pounds. Games that rake in over 60 hours gameplay are different of course. I strongly feel that a huge factor of piracy and preowned sales as they stand now, are the unreasonable prices tagged onto new digial releases.

Make new rrp’s make sense and all of a sudden, NEW CASHFLOW! zomg

As a responsible and lazy adult, I don’t actually want to pirate games, at all. But I’m not bloody stupid – and I abhor being treat like I am. Sell me a game for what it’s worth minus all the distribution channels and you have yourself a solid customer.. just like steam.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

^ Fair enough.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

Well, I’ll be supporting it.

To be honest, I’d like to see more games go ‘nutjob’ instead of being bloody actuaries. I mean, did you think that Iron Man 3 was a bad movie or something? There’s nothing wrong with superhero games, and we could use more good ones, not less.

I’m tired of the reality fetish. It’s FAMILIAR, it’s THAT GAME YOU PLAYED BEFORE WITH NEW CONTENT, it’s NORMAL with a TWIST, it’s COMFORTABLY ORDINARY, it has 0 PER CENT NOVELTY PER PIXEL!

Really, just… so sick of it.

Why is novelty bad?

I guess I’m just not boring enough???

I don’t know.

But reality fatigue set in a while ago for me, I’m a little sick of this mundanity fetish at the moment, and I want to see new and interesting things, rather than retreading the same ground that every mainstream game has for the past decade or more. Thanks.

I am so done with it. I want incredible characters, charismatic ones, not sociopaths. I want fun in my games. I want them to try to be creative.

I just…

There’s…

You can go to a store right now and there are shelves devoted to the mundainity fetish that seems to be so commonplace right now. Why do we want MORE of it?

I want LESS. Please… LESS.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dahak

He should be the series is pathetic now,how do you go from being real gangsters to using dildos as weapons.

#7 1 year ago
  8. jmg24bad

So the wulf wants to see purple dildos? Go to a fucking adult super store and buy some fucking dildos and shove them up your a-hole. Saints row is for corn balls now.

#8 1 year ago