Dark Souls 2: “accessible” my bleeding aunt

Thursday, 4th July 2013 14:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dark Souls 2 directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura want to make the RPG easier to understand. But they certainly haven’t made it any easier to win.

I know you think you’ve seen dark. But this was darkness with its gloves off and its sleeves rolled up. What light there was did no more than allow me to see just how much blackness there was.

Last week I met Namco Bandai’s Australian PR manager for the first time under somewhat unfortunate circumstances; I was right in the middle of spitting some highly creative swears. (Yes, this happens quite a lot.) He kindly forgave me my unprofessional introduction because, well. Dark Souls 2 isn’t really a game you should keep a swear jar by, unless you’re saving up for a Lamborghini.

Listen, friends, I played a heck of a lot of Demon’s Souls. I played not quite as much of Dark Souls, but I’m happy to name myself a fan of the series and to snobbily lord it over people who complain that it’s “cheap” or “too hard” or whatever, the wussy babies. And I assure you, for all the talk of accessibility, Dark Souls 2 is tough. If it were nails, it would be the kind you use with a rocket launcher to hammer through iron golems in order to pin their autonomous fury to the walls of concrete dams.

The first thing I did in Dark Souls 2 was laugh scornfully at my pre-selected class – sorcerer – and close out of the demo to use the warrior. Magic has its place, friends, and it certainly makes the beginning of both previous Souls games easier, but in our heart of hearts we all know it’s basically cheating (until after the first demon and then, you know, anything goes).

As a result I was kitted out with a 100% damage block shield (nice), a light and a heavy sword (nice), lots of items I had no particular interest in investigating and a bow which helpfully fell victim to an infinite arrows bug (extremely nice, as any true Souls fan will agree).

With these tools I ventured forth. My first stop was a long ladder which I smugly slid down, demonstrating to anybody watching that I already knew the controls. I was greeted by a view of a columned ledge passing by an instant-death fire-pit, decorated with corpses.

“Ha ha, I’m not falling for that one,” I said, cheekily turning my back on the bodies to check the path behind me which, as expected, yielded a locked door I’d no doubt return to later in the level – but unexpectedly did not contain a nasty ambush. I was just congratulating myself on this bit of scouting when I was assaulted from behind. Whirling, I saw that none of my dead friends had stirred – and yet here was a dude making a spirited and ultimately successful attempt to crush my skull with a halberd.

This is not me. You can tell because he makes it past the first enemy.

Respawning, I hurried back down the ladder and glared suspiciously at the bodies. Yes, all still – but lo! There, just behind a column where an over-confident player would just miss it if they were set on exploring, was a lone, standing foe, who began staggering forward.

I dispatched him with a few blows and a backstab (backstabs seem easier to trigger than in past games, which is nice, since many pro strats rely on this tasty move) and wandered off to do the same to his mates, who were still foxing as cold corpses.

Having failed to fool me with a few more innocent-looking bodies Dark Souls 2 apparently got tried of messing about and offered me one path forward through a pitch black tunnel. Now, I know you think you’ve seen dark in games. But this was darkness with its gloves off and its sleeves rolled up. What light there was, a dim pool barely wide than my character model cast by the crystal at his waist, did no more than allow me to see just how much blackness there was. There could have been an abyss in front of me and I would tumble into it all unknowing. I shuffled along, camera constantly drifting back to check the floor, tense with expectation.

When the enormous shiny knight loomed out of the black and into my tiny aura I screamed like the newborn saviour of metal and legged it for the door – right into the arms of two grunts who’d been sneaking up on me. Flailing wildly with my sword and shield, rolling, unable to find the door into the dark, I succumbed to their feeble attacks in seconds, gasping and wheezing in terror and adrenaline.

It was excellent.

Back into the dark once more, then – determined to win out. This time I noticed the prompt by the entrance to the cellar to light a torch at a brazier, which I did, sacrificing my shield but fairly confident in my dodge, even in plate armour. A few pokes lured my two grunt friends out into the light where I could give them a smacking, and I went after the larger foe.

Here I engaged my base animal cunning. I would advance slowly, pull him forward, and observe his attack pattern safely from the door to the cellar, maybe getting a few arrows or opportunistic swings in while I worked him out. Except – oh god – he can fit up those stairs. After this it was all horror and confusion and being smashed with giant clubs, but after a few seconds I found my feet, swigged from my estus flask, and went at it like a veteran. Shield up; dodge; swing; retreat; shield down; repeat. He had a lot of health. I determined to end it, and end it now, with a mighty two handed backstab.

Veteran traps are everywhere in the demo. It doesn’t matter how well you know the Souls games, how careful and skilled you are; there’s always something waiting in the dark and in the light places both. A firebomber to one side as you approach a distant archer. Three black phantoms materialising in front of your face as you pass through an otherwise empty hollow. A series of statues which come to life only when you’re close enough to aggro a boss, even if you check them carefully on the way through. Mobs of enemies which swarm you, beating down your stamina; backstabbing; and relentlessly pummelling you.

It was glorious. And it was not, in any way, one whit easier than Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls. It may be unfamiliarity with the build, but I actually found it even harder. I’m disappointed that From Software wants to eschew the esoteric joy of a game which deliberately baffles the player with unexplained mechanisms and hidden systems, but Dark Souls 2 hasn’t lost its edge. It’s just lost its reliance on GameFAQs.

Dark Souls 2 is headed to PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March 2014.

1. noamlol2

good read

#1 1 year ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

“I determined to end it, and end it now, with a mighty two handed backstab.

The bastard only has an insta-kill back attack, doesn’t he. Fuck. You can’t tell me someone at From Software didn’t do a maniacal laugh when they thought of that one; it’s a pure veteran trap.”

I heard on the Weekend Confirmed podcast around E3 time, a report from an interview/demo, that FROM has gone to task big-time in DS2 against things like that. Nixing crutch strategies that players relied on, and essentially began to exploit in the original. They want to keep the gameplay engaging, and I really like that they are sufficiently confident in their design and base of Dark Souls, that for the sequel they opted to augment, rather than deconstruct from the formula.

#2 1 year ago
  3. polygem

this sounds great to me and i cannot wait for the release. i still hope for a ps4 version though because i´d just like to play it with a shiny new pad on a shiny new system.

i played the souls games late but i loved them both. if the basic formula will stay intact and if the atmosphere wont be lost everything´s cool.

if they can make some improvements to make the experience smoother that´s fine with me…as long as they can keep the magic alive. it can be a thin line though.

i was a bit disappointed by dark souls at first coming from demons. i thought it sacrificed some of the charme -and it kind of did- but after a while i just loved the game as well. today i cannot really say which one i prefer tbh. probably still demons but mainly because it was the first one i played and it really impressed the shit out of me.

such a great franchise. one of the ver finest things that happened to gaming this gen.

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

Great read, Brenna! Ahh, those Souls series are really something. I’m looking forward to play this.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Cobra951

Ah, well. So much for wishing for multiple skill levels. I’m one of those wussies, I’m afraid. Pass, again.

#5 1 year ago
  6. KoojoPanda

Truly need a PS4 version. By the time this is out, I’ll be neck deep in The Crew and Infamous Second Son.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Hybridpsycho

@5 There ARE and will be multiple skill levels, it all depends on how you play the game. Check out EpicNameBros youtube channel, he’s really good at explaining how the “difficulty” system works in these games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lord Gremlin

You misunderstood it. When they said “more accessible” they meant that unlike in Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls where you could complete the game and never learn basic crucial facts about story this time around you will find the basic story facts more easily.
    It’s story being more accessible.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Noodlemanny

Why is your aunt bleeding? Is she still bleeding? You should definitely stem the flow, putting lots of pressure on the wound and positioning it above the heart letting gravity do its thang.

You’re welcome.

:P

#9 1 year ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

Why is she bleeding? Because she was backstabbed with a cresent falchion of course!

#10 1 year ago
  11. For Blood

Backstabs and magic/dark magic, the signs of bad Souls players.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Metroid455

@5 yeah me too, Iv’e tried and tried to like Demon Souls but the cheap Difficulty(yes cheap whether the fans like it or not) is just too high and is the reason most people will not touch the series(myself included).

#12 1 year ago
  13. GwynbleiddiuM

@12 GOOD! As it should be.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Metroid455

@13 lol well to each their own (^-^)

#14 1 year ago
  15. GwynbleiddiuM

@14 TBH the unforgiving difficulty is what makes the game such a great and tough experience. We have a lot of games with varied difficulty sets, like Skyrim but nothing like starting Diablo 3 with a level 1 toon in Inferno difficulty. It feels great when you clear an area full of monsters and champions.

There are times you strive but come up short, there are times that yo want to smash your TV or Monitor in my case with your controller/keyboard. There are times you’re raging and cursing like an uncivilized baboon but it all damn worth it. I like this game a lot, managed to get Demon Souls on my PS3 too, gonna play a whole lot of that and Shadowrun Returns until Dark Souls 2 comes out.

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

@12: for me it was the opposite. i didn´t pick the games up because everyone said they´re so difficult, only masochists will enjoy them, just too hard. i didn´t feel like buying/playing a game only to get frustrated. i don´t mind a difficult game here or there but that sounded way too much for me so even if they looked interesting to me i skipped them. i just played demons souls this year and loved every second of it. it was my one true wow moment this gen tbh. it´s tough but fair. you just have to understand the mechanics. you die often but dying is just an important part of the game and it´s unbelieveable how motivating it is and not frustrating (well most of the time). dying means learning learning means making progress. awesome formula.
    be slow, explore, learn enemy types and locations, think about what you want to skill, think about it again and then do it.
    just after i finished demons i played dark souls and couldn´t get enough.
    the games have actually ruined other games for me now. they feel shallow and boring to me.
    demons is on ps+ and i really recommend trying it out to everyone. you must give the game time though. it´s sooo worth checking out but it´s probably a love/hate kind of thing indeed. i´m a lover.

#16 1 year ago