State of Decay’s ‘Pure Survival’ sandbox mode DLC discussed by Undead Labs

Monday, 24th June 2013 15:02 GMT By Dave Cook

State of Decay developer Undead Labs has shed light on its new ‘Pure Survival’ sandbox mode, which is in development as DLC at the studio.

Explaining the motivation of the sandbox mode to Polygon, studio founder Jeff Strain said, “The game is basically a giant simulation of zombies versus humans. The narrative we tell gives you some context and drives you through the experience, and there is a beginning, middle and end.

“I think people take between 15 and 25 hours to play theentire game, and we found that after that, players are immediately restarting. Every playthrough is different, but the story is the same every time.

“After they finish they want to just experience the game in pure sandbox mode and be able to focus on experiencing the world and not worry about completing the story. We’re going to make that happen.”

The mode is as it suggests; a free-roaming simulation mode that sees players surviving as long as they can. In the background the game will track how long players live, their aptitude at gathering resources, and the mode was described by Strain as a “SimCity-style simulation.”

Elsewhere, Strain confirmed that the follow-up to State of Decay – currently titled ‘Class4′ – is at the concept phase and is not currently in development. It will exist in a shared online world and will most certainly come to next-gen formats, although Strain couldn’t say which.

Are you a State of Decay player? How are you liking it? Let us know below.

1. Innis

Co-op?

#1 1 year ago
  2. superjay779

I’m loving the game so far. I never feel safe. Very tense situations.

#2 1 year ago
  3. deathm00n

I really want to play it, but have to wait for the steam version they promised…

#3 1 year ago
  4. AyKKon

@ #2

Never feel safe indeed! And the unpredictableness of the game makes it even better! At one time one of my fellow survivors died of “black fever” and because of that he turned AND killed TWO other people! I was suddenly left with 5 survivors of which 2 of those the day after fled from a zombie horde and I had to go look for them! Very good!

#4 1 year ago
  5. majicship

This is a fantastic game. Once you can see past the soon-to-be-re-patched glitches and graphics it really is amazing. My first playthrough lasted about 20 hours and I was wrung out by the end of it. Quite glad to have completed it to have a bit of a rest. I can’t wait to get started again (but am waiting on the patch) so I can play through in a different style just to see how I get on. This time I fancy ‘Rambo’ing’ my way through using only guns as opposed to my melee only style on my first run through. Guns attract zeds. When this comes out on PC soon the mod communmity will have a field day. If you are wavering on this don’t. Just play it. You will not regret it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DinoHunter

The gameplay is awesome!

I played zombie games before but this one is different. It’s an open world and RPG game and there’s a lot of things you can do. There are areas need improvement and glitches to be fixed though.

And for some tips on how to survive the onslaught of zomebies, check this walkthrough: http://www.cheatmasters.com/blog/2013/06/21/state-of-decay-walkthrough-guide/.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DillonC

I have really enjoyed playing this game and i would really enjoy the sandbox mode (if it gets released) amazing game.

#7 1 year ago