Final Fantasy 15: new character bios and art drops

Monday, 24th June 2013 13:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 15 has received a batch of character biographies as well as some new artwork showing Noctis and pals looking tough and/or moody. Check out who’s who right here.

You may remember a batch of Google-translated character bios that surfaced for Final Fantasy 15 last week? Well, these are the official English translations. Enjoy:

• Noctis Lucis Caelum: A childhood affliction endowed Noctis, heir apparent to the throne of Lucis, with the mystical power to see a heavenly light, through which he could sense others’ deaths. Noctis rejects rigid royal conventions and acts as somewhat of a renegade, much to the dismay of those who tend to him. Yet while “Noct” may act brash at times, he does so in defense of those loyal to him.
  • Gladiolus Amicitia: As lord of the noble House Amicitia, Gladiolus continues a line sworn to protect the crown. “Gladio” shares a friendship with Noctis that transcends birth and title, and his loyalty to his liege is born not of duty, but of brotherhood.
  • Ignis Scientia: Ever the unwavering voice of reason, Ignis was weaned on shrewd logic and a classical education from boyhood so that he might one day counsel the would-be king, Noctis. He applies the deep mutual understanding and trust they have built over time to help smooth over Noctis’s brusqueness with others.
  • Prompto Argentum: The puckish playboy Prompto befriended Noctis in his school days. He wears a chip on his shoulder as an outsider to the royal circle, but remains eager to do all he can for the cause.
  • Cor Leonis: A living legend of Lucian lore, Lord Commander Cor Leonis’s devotion to the art of war is surpassed only by that to his king. Little love is lost between the ill-starred stalwart and Noctis’s retinue, yet honor binds him to keep watch over the group all the same.

We’ve also got a shot of the group here:

What do you think?

Final Fantasy 15 is heading to PS4 and Xbox One.

1. POOP CRUSTY

Can’t wait!

2. LordDjinn

Noctis, awesome

3. Ireland Michael

Good god, this couldn’t sound more contrived and uninspired if it tried.

4. Dave Cook

My body and mind are ready. Love Final Fantasy :D

5. CyberMarco

Can’t wait for the Final Fantasy XV: Boyband Special Edition! :D

This game is going to rock!

6. POOP CRUSTY

^Hahaha

7. Sylrissa

I love final fantasy as well, but this cast line up doesn’t interest me, but we’ll see how the game turns out.

8. sahand

I’m sure this game is gonna be the best Final Fantasy ever.

9. Belmont

It looks good. Too bad it never became my cup of tea.

10. Rainbow Dash

Why is the underside of their shoes ALL red?
    …also where can I get them.

11. Dave Cook

@10 The streets of Lucian are paved with jam.

12. Gnosis

This is gonna be the most disappointing FF, because of the astronomic expectations.

13. Sylrissa

@12 I agree with you there, people have put this game so high up on lofty expectations, I don’t see how it could live up to them.

14. CyberMarco

I’m not pumped because it’s another FF game, but because it’s a Nomura-San game, big difference.

15. Rainbow Dash

@11 well, thats now my official headcanon sorted out :)

16. sahand

@12 @13 there is no doubt about that this game is gonna be the best Final Fantasy ever.

17. Dave Cook

@15 :D

18. salarta

I’d much prefer to find out more about the women, but this is okay for now.

19. Ireland Michael

@14 Wait… that’s a reason to look forward to it?

The guys designs are uninspired at the best of times. With this game, it looks like he’s not even trying. I mean… all black casual wear for the entire group of characters? Seriously?

20. The Dude

@19 “Uninspired at the best of times”?

Really? You may not like his designs, but to call them uninspired at best is quite the overstatement.

And the black outfits of FFXV are fiiiine. Although I did prefer Noctis slightly more in his previous incarnation.

21. Ireland Michael

@20 it would help if half of his designs didnt look exactly the same as the other half.

It’s always the same old reused, rehashed designs over… and over… and over again. Sometimes he comes up with something inspired, but that happens once in a blue moon.

These are certainly not in that category. Just the same old tired anime designs and stupid haircuts that have been seen hundreds of times before.

22. CyberMarco

@Mike

What’s the problem with that? All I said is that I like Nomura’s work and what he have done with his previous games. Personally I can’t compare FF games with any other RPG game simply because FF is its own entity, IMHO obviously. Maybe we don’t agree on that and it’s nothing wrong.

I can hope that Nomura will deliver what he is promising. At least it’s not some rehash of established game mechanics and recipes..

Maybe you haven’t heard of KH series, regarding inspiration and designs.

23. Ireland Michael

@22 All my favourite Final Fantasies are ones that don’t have Nomura as the lead character designer. Even if they’re solid in the gameplay area, his characters, their personalities and the stories of those particular games are consistently terrible.

I’ve played all the Kingdom Hearts, and enjoy them a lot, but the designs are just as uninspired as anything else he’s ever done.

24. CyberMarco

Then it boils down to tastes.

25. Gnosis

@19: I actually prefer the “casual” design of their clothes over the physically impossible stuff he’d produced in the past. It also suits the “Fantasy Based on Reality” – theme of the game.

But aside from that… I don’t really mind the “j-pop boy band” style (although the resemblance is striking). As long as they don’t behave themselves like complete idiots, I’m fine with it… but srsly, those names are hilarious. Main characters best friend? Amicitia. The smart guy? Scientia. The legendary fighter? Leonis. It’s nothing new, that main characters usually have some kind of “meaningfull” name, but this is just over the top. The trend, that started in KH is now swapping over to FF.

26. YoungZer0

I’d love to play as an actually interesting FF character. The only character in the entire 3D series (never played the SNES titles) is Balthier.

I want them to be more conflicted with actually interesting things, instead of their emotions and all that boring stuff.

27. cade

To everything Ireland michael has said- You sound like a self righteous snob. I’d like to see you create even one “inspired” (since you like to throw that word around quite a bit)game or even less a peice of art just so we can all tell you how disgustingly bad it is. If you don’t like the game go on with your life. As for the people like me who are excited about the game and don’t complain about stupid little things like clothing or their hairstyles( And if you havn’t noticed from playing all the ff and kh games, like you say, all japanese anime or games have this kind of style -_-), which aren’t even as bad as you seem to want to think they are, keep on with the FF love.

phew.

28. taylorlauder

Ladies and gents. Meet Super Junior 5!

29. Vice

More stupid-looking japs with retarded hairs.
    Also no chicks somehow :s

30. Ireland Michael

@27 “To everything Ireland michael has said- You sound like a self righteous snob.”

Guilty as charged. It’s called personal taste.

“I’d like to see you create even one “inspired” (since you like to throw that word around quite a bit)game or even less a peice of art just so we can all tell you how disgustingly bad it is.”

I don’t have to create something to decide if its bad anymore more then you have to create something to decide if its good.

“If you don’t like the game go on with your life.”

People have a right to express their opinions, but positive and negative. The assumption that I shouldn’t share my opinion unless its positive one is hilarious.

“As for the people like me who are excited about the game and don’t complain about stupid little things like clothing or their hairstyles.”

In an RPG, having strong characters is almost as important as having good gameplay. These characters look terrible.

“And if you havn’t noticed from playing all the ff and kh games, like you say, all japanese anime or games have this kind of style”

Not all of them. Just most of them. I prefer some degree of originality in my games.

Final Fantasy never even touched these kinds of tired designs when Amano was at the character designer helm, and many of the FF games stayed well away from those kinds of tropes and cliches… except the ones with Nomura at the helm.

“which aren’t even as bad as you seem to want to think they are”

That is a manner of opinion. I grew up watching a generation of anime where the creation of new, original ideas actually happened, instead of just rehashing the same old tired tropes over and over and over again.

“keep on with the FF love.”

I have played every single mainstay numbered titled series from start of finish, and its one of my favourite gaming series.

31. exiled

This is going to be such a travesty…
    A bad action game to cater to their perception of their fans needs for a slow pace…
    A bad RPG to cater to the action crowd…
    A luke-warm mess that will cater to no-one in particular…

I’m sure it will look beautiful… but so did that turd 13.