Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 23:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s eyebrow-raising reversal of its Xbox One DRM policies has been in the works for some time, corporate vice president of Xbox Marc Whitten has said, but Microsoft wanted to tell the “complete story” before it made such a dramatic public reversal.

Speaking to Polygon, Whitten agreed that public opinion – cited by Xbox executive Don Mattrick as the primary motivator for the changes – has been strongly against DRM policies ever since they were first hinted at during the Xbox One reveal.

“What we wanted to do was tell our complete story,” Whitten said of the delay in letting gamers know things had changed.

“We knew our complete story was partially told at the Xbox One unveil and partially told at E3. We wanted to put our story out there and show the great games we have coming. We did that and people gave us a ton of feedback.”

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.

There are some positive changes though, notably that the console will be region-free, but also should you take your disc to a friend’s house and install it there, they have the option to purchase it after you leave, saving them the hassle of getting their own disc; it will be as if they bought it from Xbox Live.

It’s worth remembering that the DRM changes don’t make the Xbox One an offline console; games which require cloud processing will need an always-on Internet connection, like any MMO or online multiplayer game.

“You have to be connected [for cloud processing to work]. All of the things that require the internet will require the console to connect. We want and expect most people to take advantage of those things, but we also want to give people the choice that they can play offline,” Whitten said.

“There are our policies and we are really excited about them. By adding them we have shown that we are definitly listening,” he said.

1. monkeygourmet

Waited too long my friend, you dun goofed and lost E3…

Only G1GA still loved you ;)

#1 1 year ago
  2. TrickyAudio

Xbox 180 indeed. This is absolutely classic from Microsoft. What a fuck up.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

PR bullshit!!! You can still offer the the “game-sharing” features with digital copies of games. Give consumer an incentive to chose digital rather than forcing him to comply with your demands!

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

You said you were going to bed!!!! You lie as much as MS!!! ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tridenter

Thanks to people that spend twenty-four hours a day complaining online about having to log online for five minutes, MS lost their one advantage.

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

All those features could be worked out without restrictive DRM, guess what, they don’t want too.

#6 1 year ago
  7. UuBuU

still an overpriced gimmick box with awful exclusives so far

#7 1 year ago
  8. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

It’s a little too late. Pre-ordered PS4.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Mike W

This is crazy, all that bullshit they said about DRM and the cloud being the future.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

so the cloud is gonna be the drm in mickey$oft games now, i guess its not powerful enough and need 10 tvboxes in the cloud to get the game running, LOL!…

#10 1 year ago
  11. sg1974

Dear LORD have some dignity in defeat.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Xbox_one_eighty

But..but, I still have teh pauah of teh clautz!

#12 1 year ago
  13. bennyx

So basically when enough people buy it then they will change the terms and conditions back to what they were gonna be in the first place!!!
    For me I cannot trust a company who tried to screw the gamers in the first place,and its well obvious they changed their minds after E3 and not before……or why didn’t they announce it at E3 it would have been the perfect opportunity!!!!
    Sorry MS I loved the 360 but you lost my custom ages ago,I’ll stick to this gen for the mo!

#13 1 year ago
  14. gomersoul

bull shit. ms have massively back tracked. as a ps3 fan I don’t enjoy this news though. as brenna said you are all fickle and Will still buy that heap of shit. hope you enjoy paying £80 more to play halo

#14 1 year ago
  15. Samuel

@2 Some people can never be happy. “We don’t like these policies! Wait, what’s that, you’ve removed those policies? Fuck you for changing your mind!” They could build the next Xbox to be whatever your idea of a dream machine is, and people like you would still complain and whine and moan.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Eddie Rodrigues

Thanks MS I don’t know which one to buy!

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

first cash, then morals

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hcw87

This site starts to bore me. 9 out of 10 comments are from clueless Sony fanboys who makes it their personal mission to talk shit every opportunity they get.

Buy both consoles and be happy with a larger game library, i know i am.

Fucking fanboys.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

@18: oh, i have several consoles…i just wont support fascists

#19 1 year ago
  20. KAP

Just show you that Microsoft were being disingenuous about needing to be always online. No thanx, my money goes to PS4..

#20 1 year ago
  21. gomersoul

are you Fucking mental, buy both consoles? screw that shit… I’m not paying an extra 500 for titanfall and halo. I can still be a gamer without money to burn and a family to feed

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

Do you use Windows?

#22 1 year ago
  23. manamana

Last one from CB:
    “*Sony* forced Microsoft’s hand, not the internet whining.”

good night folks, wake me when some funny gifs surface…

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

a weakling is a weakling still

#24 1 year ago
  25. Cort

@18. Most of the people complaining about MS this week own a 360. But don’t let that stop you whining and making crap up because you’re hurt that MS has got some well-deserved flak from pissed-off gamers.

They’ve accepted it. Why don’t you try?

#25 1 year ago
  26. polygem

@22: no

#26 1 year ago
  27. Hcw87

Either you’re a hypocrite or you actually have some backbone.

Can’t say the same about the majority on here though.

#27 1 year ago
  28. SplatteredHouse

3:32 – 4:14
    “We’re not going to change anything, we’re very happy with what we’ve done with Xbox One” – Major Nelson @E3

#28 1 year ago
  29. sg1974

@27 We get it. We must not criticise MS. Now leave it.

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

so good night mofo´s and don´t forget: do not play with fire kids ;)

@27:

i just realised: i use a ms branded mouse :)

#30 1 year ago
  31. Hcw87

Criticise? lol really?

At this point it’s just useless text spammed every day, in every article since May 21st. Constructive criticism is great and all, but constant flaming and trolling gets old real fast.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Cort

@HCW87

I praise MS when I want, and I criticise MS when I want. I praise Sony when I want, and I criticise Sony when I want. I praise Nintendo when I want, and I criticise Nintendo when I want. Guess which of those types of comments are the ONLY ones that people here jump down my throat for? Yup: every time I say something positive about Sony, or negative about MS, I am declared an SDF troll.

So give it a rest. MS asked for this week. As someone recently said: “deal with it”.

#32 1 year ago
  33. sg1974

Jesus Christ is Steve Ballmer your dad or something?

#33 1 year ago
  34. jron310

All they needed to do in the first place. They had to realize the hard way they themselves don’t sway consumers futures, its a collaboration between consumer and merchant. Forcing things on people who liked or at least acknowledged your past products, and then saying ‘deal with it’ with new rules is not the way. You have to gradually get there.

#34 1 year ago
  35. salarta

“Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.”

So in the future, they may go right back to the DRM that nobody asked for and caused a huge uproar?

An online contact of mine said he doesn’t trust Microsoft not to bring those DRM anti-consumer policies back in the future. On the one hand, it would be incredibly stupid for Microsoft to make this reversal only to go back to their original plan after the system launched. On the other hand… Microsoft has a lot of greedy idiots about, as I observed by the combination of planning on such DRM measures in the first place and their fairly insulting way of handling concerns and criticism during E3. So I’m honestly not sure what to expect out of Microsoft.

But I don’t think for a second that Microsoft had been planning on reshaping their approach all along after the initial XBox One unveiling. I think all of this, every bit of it, was guided by everything that took place during E3, and the following huge disparity between XBox One preorder numbers and PS4 preorder numbers.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very good thing that Microsoft is reversing course, it’s much, MUCH better both for Microsoft itself and for the video game industry as a whole. But I don’t believe for a second that Microsoft had some kind of altruistic ideals behind the DRM plans of the XBox One, or that doing this was in the cards all along. I always knew Microsoft would try to screw over the whole industry if they thought they had gained unchallenged dominance, and the policies they had in place before they finally did the right thing only proved my suspicions to be correct.

#35 1 year ago
  36. bennyx

Personally I think the damage is done……..maybe at launch they might give away 2 or 3 free games with the console as a sorry to everybody,something like what Sony did when all that hacking business came about!! Lol
    I hate fanboys too but as I’m a fan of games does that mean I hate myself? I know I’ll only be getting one console next gen unlike this gen with all 3 of them.so I think it all boils down to who’s got the better games and better exclusives.
    Remember people we are gamers and its all about the games and how much fun we can have,we use our brains to play our imaginations to take ourselves elsewhere THIS is our hobby (or one of them)
    POWER TO THE GAMER.

#36 1 year ago
  37. bennyx

@35 I totally agree with you I said something similar earlier………..but can we trust them not to change I back?????

#37 1 year ago
  38. sg1974

Gamers will forgive and forget. We mostly forgave and forgot RRoD, and the PSN hack. And we will do the same again.

As usual, it will come down largely to money. If MS drops Kinect as mandatory device in the box, and drops to price down to match Sony, they could close down the PS4 in the US and be not too far behind in the EU. Japan, well they shouldn’t even bother. If they did that, we’d have a two-horse race that won’t be decided for at least half a decade.

#38 1 year ago
  39. ps3fanboy

but the damage’s done… xbone is done… & RRoD NEVER FORGOTTEN!

#39 1 year ago
  40. DSB

Finishing it off with a bunch of vague execubabble really isn’t the strongest way to come out of it.

Would it kill them to have a clear, positive message?

#40 1 year ago
  41. SlayerGT

I don’t buy this at all. There’s no fucking way. I want the hours of my life back listening to podcasts and reading articles, trying to understand something that never was!? What the fuck ever :D so the leaked doc was purposely leaked. Not enough outcry. Guy goes to twitter, gets fired. Not enough outcry. Then the reveal. Still not enough. Now E3. MS has me blown away. Next Gen is theirs to lose and they are blowing it. Even if I wanted an XBOne, I wouldn’t buy one for $50 out the gate. I’d wait two or three years till THEY figure out what the fuck they’re doing.

#41 1 year ago
  42. oddeye

Look, they took the restrictions away but remember your games with a cloud component will still need to be connected and I’m sure games from Microsoft are going to require an internet connection to play. Titanfall for example will require an internet connection since it does use the cloud. For them to take away two features to remove the restrictions is them playing a hand. They could still do both those features, but they took them away to make people feel bad and say oh wait we want the DRM now. Bait and switch.

Let’s be fair though, Sony has the same ability to do the same as well and change policies whenever they want. It’s in all those EULAs people don’t read.

#42 1 year ago
  43. pandulce1

@35 Well said.

They were never truthful about why the wanted to impose the use of DRM. After realizing that it was not going to be a pleasant ride, they backtrack and come up with new lies. I honestly believe that Microsoft can not be trusted.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Phoenixblight

“Titanfall for example will require an internet connection since it does use the cloud.”

Titanfall is not an example of anything as the game is pure online so it was going to need a connection anyways just like you need a connection to play a MMO.

#44 1 year ago
  45. The_Red

“Future of PR Bullshit Revealed” Xbox One.

Seriously, if they REALLY were trying to change things for sometime, there is no way in hell that they’d let E3 come and go without doing so.
    NO. They saw Sony make a super strong PR spin to make them look bad, saw the pre-order numbers and did a 180.

Remember the “Panic mode Nintendo”? This is “Panic Mode MS”.

#45 1 year ago
  46. zwoods

Hey you know what’s funny is that Sony did a update today on the PS3 and it bricked a lot of peoples PS3 so with that said Sony either did this on purpose OR they just can’t get there shit together just like when the PS3 got hacked. I can’t recall anytime that MS has bricked my Xbox from a update or been hacked so fuck Sony and Fuck All you Sony fanboy fucks

#46 1 year ago
  47. bennyx

As a fanboy of games I’ve had 1 wii 1 PS3 and 3 360′s I’ve spent some good money on my machines and lots of games and hours on the phone to MS to get my 360′s fixed
    You really should research before you say something! MS got hacked a few years back it was in all the news papers,not to the scale of Sony hack but it was still hacked,you might have not been affected but a few people were and then we have RroD i mean what the hell was that about,not only me but most of my gaming community had the same problem,so before you run your mouth like that do a bit of research ………oh and try to be polite about it.

#47 1 year ago
  48. BartozXIX

I gave up on console gaming years ago. I now live in the PC world. All you gamers who think the console graphics are top notch, you all got a screw loose.

Get a PC. END ALL OF THIS BULLSHIT.

#48 1 year ago
  49. zwoods

Hey bennyx how is this for polite eat shit I have had a Xbox 360 since they came out my brother has to and my lil cuzin oh and a few ppl got hacked that’s so much worse then the whole psn been down for a month or so and what about the yellow light of death I also had a 2 ps3 but it got the YLOD sony can suck a big fat nigger dick

#49 1 year ago
  50. bennyx

So zwoods you’ve had problems with your ps3′s and I have had problems with my 360′s……..does that mean that Nintendo actually makes the most reliable consoles???? Come to think about it I’ve never had a problem with a Nintendo console hhmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
    Look the fact of the matter is let the dust settle let the companies play their cards and who has the best games and exclusives gets our money wether its X1 or ps4 ,remember its all about the games.

#50 1 year ago
  51. redwood

@1 that makes giga happy.. today we should call him TeraHurtz..

#51 1 year ago