Killer Instinct: Xbox One season pass confirmed, paid fight roster discussed

Tuesday, 18th June 2013 12:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Killer Instinct has received a bit of flack since it was announced for Xbox One, mainly because it’s now a free-to-play game that charges players for additional character. Everyone gets Jago for free, but developer Double Helix Games has argued that the game’s fight roster has been kept small because gamers don’t want a lot of fighters.

Speaking with Polygon, Microsoft producer Torin Rettig said “Most fighting games that come out are disc based games where you get a huge cast of awesome characters, but it is a massive cast. “Some games have anywhere between 30, 40, even 50 characters. And in reality, most players don’t play that many characters.

“You just only have so much time to get good at so many characters. So we wanted to take that into consideration and release the game in a way that took that into consideration and allowed players to get in and play the game at the level that they want to play it.”

The game will charge you for new characters, but Rettig confirmed that Killer Instinct will offer a one-off season pass fee for all content on offer. No pricing has been revealed.

What do you make of the above. I know as a big Street Fighter and Marvel Vs Capcom fan I love big rosters, but I’m just one bloke. Let us know what you think below.

Thanks MCV.

1. Tearsir

“the game’s fight roster has been kept small because gamers don’t want a lot of fighters.”

Really? :O

Seems a big bullshit.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

Yeah, because having a large variety and big roster is certainly a bad thing, eh?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Uberinho

This is not “free to play”. This is a demo.

#3 1 year ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

You get the whole game (all modes, options, etc), but only one character.

If you learn to use that character properly, that’s a good 20+ hour game for free.

Yet people still complain…

#4 1 year ago
  5. tezzer1985

LMAO…so instead you offer them 1 character of the bat…they talk about fighting games having loads of characters, and they only play with a few, but how are gamers going to know who they want to play with, if they are forced to buy characters, it’s dumb…

Tekken & Street Fighter could do this, cause we would just buy the characters we know and have used for years….I don’t remember how TJ Combo, Tusk or Orchid play in KI…

#5 1 year ago
  6. DirtEHarry

As long as it’s possible to try out fighters you haven’t already purchased, I don’t see any problem.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Crussong

@4 You do know fun of playing fighting games, is by facing not the same fighter over and over and over again, right? Everyone who gets the game uses the same character and learns how to properly use him..
    Theres no variation. They should at leat give people 2-3 more to choose from..

#7 1 year ago
  8. Bam007

Does anybody at Microsoft working around the Xbox One have any idea what is going on with their system and games? Seriously, this was announced as a F2P game, then it became a demo, then they said there will be a full game with all characters… now they are talking small rosters and a season pass?

I give up. Seriously. They are confused and are confusing everybody who wants to try and support them.

#8 1 year ago
  9. zinc

@4, If i was given CoD for free, all modes etc, but only one gun, i’d complain too.

Its pathetic. Especially as its being touted as a system seller.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Aullah

I guess cloud cant handle more than a few figters…

#10 1 year ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

@9:

What, you’d complain if you were given CoD for free??

Are you serious?

No one’s forcing you to play it.

It’s free!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

I have been saying this is going to suck, because Double Helix wouldn’t know their asses from holes in the ground. This is further proof of it, especially on a game that might as well be called Button Mashing: The Game!

Killer Instinct was never a particular deep fighting game, but neither was Mortal Kombat, and look at how Netherrealm turned that around with MK9.

Outside of him just saying, “Derrrr…I like to hit myself and eat glue…,” do we need any more proof that they’re in the bottom three developers of our day?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@11 – Honestly, dude, is there anything Microsoft could do that you wouldn’t defend? I am really starting to think that if Steve fucking Ballmer squat upon the balcony of the Vatican and shat down on the people below, you’d rush out to catch it, as though it were mana from the heavens, and then tell the rest of us how we were missing out.

…actually, thinking about it, having seen some of his speeches, I’m surprised Steve Ballmer hasn’t done that already.

#13 1 year ago
  14. zinc

@11, Yep, especially with all this hype.

This is a demo, where all normal progress will be paid for. Yay.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MCTJim

Oh look…another thread that somehow manages to trash MS. Personally I am tired of it. Just bring me info on the games that are coming out. I was onsite here yesterday and 70% was all trashing MS..how about reporting on the games..you seem to dig up old info for the trashing aspect, how about reporting on the games..I’m sure if you tried harder you would find the information.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@14 – Or here’s an idea…how about Microsoft stop fucking up and then there would be something positive to say about them?

I mean, they…oh…geez, this is embarrassing. You appear to have some brown on your nose. Would you like a napkin? No no. I get it, Holy Ballmer Pilgrimage and everything.

#16 1 year ago
  17. zinc

^ Surely ignoring the mountain of crap to find the nugget of good news regarding the xbone, would indicate bias?

;)

#17 1 year ago
  18. Irani

Why Sony Fan’s Are Burning??!!

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps3fanboy

G1GAHURTZ catch mana straight from steve ballmers butt, its a FACT.

#19 1 year ago
  20. MCTJim

@18 I just want the news instead of the SAME stories titled differently. I have a PS4 day one reserved as well as an X1. Bring me viable stories, not the same ones retitled..or ones that somehow trash MS on all levels. Sure, they need to get their heads out of their asses, but the same thing over and over.

#20 1 year ago
  21. zinc

@19, Lack off sun-tan lotion?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@21 – Well, I can see where you’re coming from, but the problem is: isn’t the obligation of the gaming press to keep the public updated on whatever the newest news is? And if it is, if Microsoft keep fucking up over and over again, wouldn’t it be disingenuous to not report the latest news, simply because it follows the last report of them fucking up? I can honestly say I’ve seen articles trashing Sony on this site when they fuck up. It’s an equal opportunity site. If Sony had screwed the pooch as badly as Microsoft did at E3, and then proceeded to make things worse in the subsequent days, then you’d see just as many articles on that here.

Go to the search function and look up articles from the past year on Sony’s financial woes. They didn’t skimp on those. Look up how many articles are there on the problems the Wii U is having.

The bottom line is that part of journalism is reporting both the good and the bad. If there is more bad than good, it is not the fault of the journalist reporting it, but the person/place/thing doing the bad.

#22 1 year ago
  23. TheBlackHole

@13 Is there anything MS related you won’t attack? Stupid question.

they are giving access to the game, and one character, for free.

You can buy it outright with a season pass that gives access to everything (essentially a retail purchase), or just buy the bits you want.

What on earth is wrong with that?

#23 1 year ago
  24. orakaa

“You just only have so much time to get good at so many characters”

Ok. Not surprising coming from Double Helix: they don’t have a clue on what makes a fighting game interesting or how to make a decent game at all (seriously, look at their track record…)

If many characters are created/praised in fighting games, it’s mostly for gamers with different tastes to find a character that match their playstyle. Also it adds variety and avoid fighting the same characters over and over and over again. What makes a fighting game successful is its community. By giving one character as F2P, you’re most likely to find only this one online, and I don’t think a community will grow on that.
    It’s the same thing as F2P MMORPGs that are polluted by people who came “because it’s free”

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

@24 – First off, I have said positive things about Microsoft. In fact, recently, I said I thought Crimson Dragon looks amazing. Not amazing enough to get me to put up with the bullshit surrounding the Xbone, but no game ever could be.

Second, what could be wrong with only offering ONE FUCKING CHARACTER?!? Stop and think about what you just wrote. If you can’t see what is wrong with that, think about the fact that Tekken Revolution gives you 10 characters, with the ability to, get this, UNLOCK MORE FOR FREE, or that Dead or Alive Ultimate, which will also have a paid further roster, at least gives you four characters. Both free-to-play fighting games.

Demos don’t even give you only one character. The whole purpose of a fighting game is to be able to explore as many different fighting styles as possible and learn to not only master the ones that appeal the most to you, but learn how to adapt to different styles. If I were to get this and I had a friend over and our only choice is a Jago vs. Jago mirror match, that’s going to get very old, very quickly.

The least characters I’ve ever seen a demo provide was three. A fucking demo! And even that had a fourth character as a kinda boss when you played single player. Fighting games are about variety. Double Helix don’t know shit and this statement further proves it.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Telepathic.Geometry

I personally don’t like this new fangled way of selling videogames, but I think that’s because I’m too old and set in my ways.

I get to play the game for free with Jago, and (presumably) pay only $5 or $10 bucks for a selection of my favorite half dozen fighters, so that seems like a pretty good deal.

But because I’m so old-fashioned and stuck in my old school thinking, I imagine that the best/strongest characters will be locked behind a pay-wall or that even with the season pass, they’ll release something down the line so that I won’t have the complete game any more, or that I’ll buy a character and then realise that they’re just a re-skin of another character, and why am I paying full-price, and wah wah wah…

I guess I just wish things were simple again. When I buy a house or a new microwave or a computer or something, I do my due diligence and research the fucker first, compare prices, think about the alternatives. For a fucking game, I don’t wanna have to do the same every time. Just let me buy Killer Instinct and get on with my life.

Of course, if the season pass is the same as or less than a regular game, then I take it all back, and fair play to them, but my gut says that if you want the whole game, it’ll be $80 or $90 or more…

#26 1 year ago
  27. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Let me turn that around…

Is there anything that MS do that you don’t try and criticise?

You see what I did there…?

@15:

First world problems, eh? You get a free game (with huge limitations, sure) and you’re not happy…

Each to his own, I suppose.

#27 1 year ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, just saw comment #24. Spot on.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Kanok

“Because gamers don’t want a lot of fighters”.

WTF!!! He’s just compared with Mugen?

#29 1 year ago
  30. ChameleonX

They should give you access to all characters in the training mode, so that you can discover which character(s) you want to focus on and invest money in. Otherwise the F2P model is pointless.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Telepathic.Geometry

Maybe you give all the characters away, but you have to pay for Brutal combos, ultra combos and combo breakers… XD

#31 1 year ago
  32. MCTJim

@23 I don’t have a problem with reporting the news as long as its not the same ole crap retitled. Journalism these days is about shock and hits on the page. Call me old school, but I remember when they used to report the news that was indeed news.

I personally don’t care about Sony’s financial woes or MS’s constant buttheadedness, but rather I want more information on games that are coming and not conveniently turned around in some way trashing MS. Same goes for Sony. Bring me news not rehashes or the same crap posted last week that turn into a trash fest. I used to lurk here just for the news and leaks and general info, but now its turning into same old crap different day lets trash MS for something they have nothing to do with..like this article. Its all getting old and most certainly annoying.

#32 1 year ago
  33. TheBlackHole

No, giving access to all the characters in a F2P game where the point is to buy all the characters is pointless.

#33 1 year ago
  34. MCTJim

The whole point is its a free game…with paid unlocks..dont like it, dont buy the extra characters. People buy the unlocks on EVERY game be it a helmet or a gun with BF..camo etc. The game is free and if you dont wanna buy the unlocks, then dont. Again its a free game.

personally, I am not gonna bother with this game as it doesn’t interest me. I am more inline with World of Tanks. Which I am sure they will have paid unlocks too…again free game, but there are catches.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Beersup

Why are all PS4 supporters so aggressive with name calling and put downs like little babies? Why do they troll XBone feeds? Go to a PS4 feed and stroke each others ego with “innovations” that that company is doing.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DarkElfa

@11, Let me ask you something, would you be happy if the new COD was F2P and they only gave you one map or one class and the other ones had to be purchased?

Of course you wouldn’t because you’re a serious gamer and you want the developers to take you and your gaming seriously. I imagine the only reason this hasn’t actually happened yet with COD is because the reaction from the community would be heinous. That means they already know it isn’t cool to do this kind of thing.

You said “No one is forcing you to play it, it’s free”, but they aren’t giving anyone other KI options either. Its not like there’s a non-F2P option, this is it. I can’t just pay 60 bucks for the full roster game and bypass the whole F2P ala carte bullshit.

Its not having a choice that makes this whole thing blow.

@35 “Why are all PS4 supporters so aggressive with name calling and put downs like little babies?” Oh sweet fucking irony in a box…. >.<

#36 1 year ago
  37. Clupula

@35 – And look at that…another new face suddenly appearing with the exact same complaint as the other new faces. Hmmmm…does make one suspicious…

#37 1 year ago
  38. DarkElfa

@37 You noticed that as well huh? I thought the influx of new Xbone fans as of late seemed a little suspicious. All of the sudden we got like 50 new members out of nowhere most of whom are MS defenders.

Me thinks me smell a rat.

#38 1 year ago
  39. MCTJim

again, disagree with someone against and all of a sudden we are MS employees.

Guys what I am saying is the game is free, they give you one character and if you want more well you gotta buy one. The game is free and though I wont bother with it, I am sure people will just like they do with all the “extras” on CoD and BF for example..Map packs excluded.

#39 1 year ago
  40. super3001

diagree and you get account deleted <—–

#40 1 year ago
  41. TheBlackHole

I think ALL is an unfair generalisation, but I have found a lot of them to be unnecessarily harsh.

That’s usually only the case when people are being defensive, but they all seem supremely confident, so maybe it’s just an attitude thing.

In any case, it’s unwelcome.

#41 1 year ago
  42. G1GAHURTZ

@36:

Do you guys even read these articles before you start complaining?

You can unlock everything for a one off fee:

“The game will charge you for new characters, but Rettig confirmed that Killer Instinct will offer a one-off season pass fee for all content on offer.”

Please correct your misinformation.

#42 1 year ago
  43. G1GAHURTZ

@40:

Did you seriously just get banned?

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

@40 – Ooooh…sounds like someone here got banned before. Intriguing!

#44 1 year ago
  45. G1GAHURTZ

I’d like to know exactly what he did, and why he got banned.

#45 1 year ago
  46. super3001

not warned or banned. deleted.

did nothing wrong just pro-ms

#46 1 year ago
  47. zinc

@40, Poster I’ve only seen from today is actually a alt account of a banned user…

Lulshock, is that you?!

#47 1 year ago
  48. G1GAHURTZ

@46:

That’s interesting…

Perhaps we really are having a shift in policies from VG247…

#48 1 year ago
  49. Clupula

@43 – Obviously he didn’t get banned today WITH THAT ACCOUNT, or he wouldn’t still be posting. I smell an alt.

#49 1 year ago
  50. G1GAHURTZ

^ You and your constant suspicions…

Check the forums: http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic.php?id=17619&page=1

#50 1 year ago
  51. Beersup

Went to GameStop to preorder XBone…SOLD OUT! PS4…still available. Looks like the trolls complaints are for each other to feel better. Don’t believe me? Call em – Frederick, MD Waverly Dr.

Here’s some troll food while that blow settles in: What features does the PS4 have that the XBone doesn’t? We all know about the DRM, but being able to share games with 10 users counters that for me. But again where’s the features I should be excited for in the PS4? Educate me.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Clupula

@51 – Well, your anecdotal evidence about your nothing happening small town in the middle of nowhere holds way more weight than things like, say, Amazon’s list of pre-orders. Congratulations on that. I’ve played shows in Maryland. It’s not exactly the place I’d use as a gauge of, well, anything, except poor hygiene and breeding. Not really surprising that the unwashed, uneducated masses of your branch of the country would prefer the Xbone.

They probably voted Romney too.

#52 1 year ago
  53. DrDamn

Already known that there is currently more limited numbers of XO at GameStop.

A bit more alarming …

Just buy the console you will be happiest with, I.e. the one with the games and features you want.

On the article, I think it’s generally a good thing. A certain amount of finding there way with models like this. The one downside may be an over abundance of the free character online which isn’t so good for those who have bought more. That could be eliminated with match making though.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Beersup

@52-Again, aggressive name calling babies. I seriously want to know what the PS4 features that the XBone does not. You already proved your quite the intelligent person bringing in politics. Surely there must be something amazing to bring such hostility and jealousy to the table, to lower ones ability to properly communicate their opinions.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Lengendaryboss

@Beersup
    You don’t see the irony in feeding trolls when you’re clearly one?

#55 1 year ago
  56. Beersup

@53-Well said my friend. Just tired of adults acting like kids. I don’t care if PS4 sells more. And I hope these actions carry over to PSN online play, they can all get together in one place.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Beersup

@55- Yes… yes I do.

#57 1 year ago
  58. zinc

The ten person game sharing needs to be explained. You can’t all play simultaneously, so who has control? Is it down to the original purchaser, or does ownership pass from person to person?

#58 1 year ago
  59. Clupula

Okay, you want a serious answer on why the PS4 is the system I prefer, without any talk of the DRM?

Okay, first off. The games. My two favorite genres, JRPG’s and fighting games, have been most prominent on the Playstation brand, all the way back to the PS2 days (and in the case of JRPG’s, since the PS1 days). Japanese developers always seem to flock to Sony when it comes to home consoles (the handheld market is different, but I don’t care about the handheld market, personally). So, I know that the two genres I love the most are going to get the most love on the PS4.

I also love Sony’s first party franchises and have never been into the needless dudebro focus of most of Microsoft’s . Halo does nothing for me. Gears of War does nothing for me. I prefer the innovation I see from titles like Heavy Rain or Journey or Beyond: Two Souls or Infamous or the Last of Us. Sure, there’s dumbass spunkgargleweewee nonsense on the Playstation like Resistance and Killzone, as well, but they are just two games in a huge portfolio of diverse games.

I also love that they’re giving so much support to indie developers, because that’s where the really exciting ideas are going to come from.

Finally, I prefer the Dual Shock controller to the Xbox controller. It’s the closest thing to a perfect controller there ever has been. If it had six face buttons, instead of four, I’d consider it perfect (since, you remember, I am a fighting game fan). I like that it isn’t a huge monstrosity like the 360 controller and I like that both analog sticks are in the same place on both sides, as both of my thumbs do the same thing.

I also would be remiss if I forgot to mention the library of previous generation titles coming to the PS4 and the fact that the lack of an online requirement means that I will still be able to play my games in 10 years.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Rafa_L

@58 I too find this 10 people sharing very poorly explained.

As everything related to Xbox, it has confusing restrictions.

I saw an interview with major nelson in which he compared this sharing system with the library (physical)of your house, the book (game) belongs to the family, but no one reads the same book at the same time.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Ireland Michael

@58 Anyone can access it, but only one person at a time other than you can play it.

Another recent revelation is that they can only access the single player portion of the games. Any multiplayer will require then to buy their own copy.

It’s just a clusterfuck of complications. Could you imagine trying to plan out “game time” with 10 other people? Uuuuurrggh…

#61 1 year ago
  62. Clupula

@61 – That’s exactly why I think that’s a bad feature. I didn’t share my Portal 2 Steam code that came with the PS3 version for the exact same reason. I don’t want to not be able to play just because the person I shared with is currently playing.

Dealing with that x10 sounds like a nightmare.

#62 1 year ago
  63. fearmonkey

@51 – Went to a Gamestop in the last few days. They had more PS4′s available than Xbones, and they are almost sold out of PS4′s, still had Xbones available.

I was told that they have alot more PS4′s allocated to each store than Xbones. I was also told that more people ask about the PS4.

Want proof?

Go check out the top selling videogame items on Amazon. Xbone is at 1, but only because the launch PS4′s are unavailable now, and PS had 4 bundles plus a standard edition. look at the top 20, There are 10 PS4 related items in the top 20, 1 Xbox One related item, and 12 PS items all togther. So, if you took all those bundles and placed them together, Xbone one wouldn’t be at the top.

I wanted to love the next Xbox, Ms ruined that for me :(

#63 1 year ago
  64. Fin

The 10-person sharing hasn’t been explained properly.

Everyone should relax until we actually hear wtf is going on with it.

#64 1 year ago
  65. zinc

@63, “I wanted to love the next xbox, MS ruined that for me”

#65 1 year ago
  66. monkees19

I don’t know what they’re talking about, I love the fighting games with huge rosters. I’m not particularly good at any of them so I like the option to choose from a ton of them.

#66 1 year ago
  67. TheBlackHole

“Another recent revelation is that they can only access the single player portion of the games.”

I listened to the interview where this was apparently said, and it wasn’t.

Do you know where it came from? Would love to hear it (genuinely).

#67 1 year ago
  68. lexgamer

“Us gamers want less playable characters.” – Said no one, ever.

#68 1 year ago
  69. peterzees

I’ve been waiting for a new Killer Instinct to come out since Gold. One of the best fighting games going at the time of release. Always fluid. Great visuals, music is awesome. Always wondered why other games didnt take a leaf out of its books.

And to address the issue of not having an abundance of characters, Im more than happy not to have 30 players. In saying that I would assume a lot more focus on the cast and their moves. I want a handful of awesome characters. Not a bucket load of similar ones. 15 would be ideal atleast.

#69 1 year ago