“Oddworld wasn’t built on selling out”, Lanning explains why New ‘N Tasty won’t hit Xbox One & 360

Friday, 14th June 2013 08:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Oddworld co-creator Lorne Lanning has explained why his ‘New ‘N Tasty’ remake of Abe’s Oddysee will not hit Xbox 360 or Xbox One in a new interview. In short; Microsoft still isn’t letting developers self-publish on its platforms, so he’s not buckling.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Lanning suggested that Microsoft only has eyes for bit, multi-million generating hits and sees indies and small teams as a weak prospect. He added that he has been trying to speak with Microsoft about releasing New ‘N Tasty on Xbox formats without success.

“For Xbox One they’ve granted us a license for New ‘n’ Tasty! but they still say you need a publisher,” Lanning explained. “We don’t have a publisher so we’re not officially on the platform, even though we’re compatible, even though we’ll be ready to do it. Period.

“Why do we need a publisher when we self-finance our games, we build our own IP, we manage our own IP and we’ve turned nearly two million units online as indie publishers sold – not free downloads? Why? What’s wrong with us?

“It’s a different level of perspective. Is it ridiculous? I guess it depends on what seat you’re sitting in. But I think right now Wall Street is seeing something else that’s ridiculous and we’re seeing it reflected in public companies’ stock values.

“Who’s in touch with their audience? And who seems out of touch with their audience? All we know is we’ve tried to get our games on their platform and we can’t do it – and I even helped them release the box.”

When I spoke with Lanning last year, it was clear that he has no love for capitalism and the desire to make money without then investing it back into something useful, such as more Oddworld games. In fact, he told me the whole series has anti-consumerist and institution undertones.

Lanning added that because Sony has many seasoned gamers helping formulate the company’s PS4 strategy, that it offers developers on the platform more freedom to try crazy and innovative ideas.

Despite being blocked by Microsoft’s need to have a publisher, Lanning said that while he may consider siding with a publisher to get the game released on Xbox consoles, he won’t sign a deal unless it makes sense from a revenue standpoint.

Lanning concluded, “I’ve had people tell me, ‘dude, just go up there, you’re losing millions of dollars.’ You know what? Oddworld wasn’t built on selling out.”

What do you make of Microsoft’s need to have a publisher? Is it old-hat? Is Sony doing it better? Let us know what you think below.

1. Lengendaryboss

Is there really anything positive about MS and Xbox at moment? because this stench of negativity is really making me feel nervous for their future.

#1 1 year ago
  2. OmegaSlayer

*10 minutes of standing ovation*

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

@1 Any negative future they get is fully deserved. A kick up the ass is exactly what they need.

A million applause to Lanning for his honesty. He’s completely right.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

Come to Steam! Me love you long time :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. NiceFellow

The family sharing idea sounds interesting
    The basic specs/design is good/solid
    The new controller is very good
    The launch lineup is solid if uninspired Titanfall aside

But all that is – fairly I’m afraid – shadowed by the negatives. Central concepts behind the console are flawed, ill thought out and harmful to consumer freedom. In short, MS needs a bloody nose on this one so they sort themselves out and get back to properly serving the market.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

Wow not selling out. Damn I need to support this somehow. Let me donate!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@5 That’s one of the most balanced assessments I’ve read in the last few days and I entirely agree with you to boot. Well put.

#7 1 year ago
  8. melonbuster1

The game will come out on both platforms

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@Michael
    My sentiments exactly. @Nicefellow Well i can’t keep checking onto my console daily i don’t even do that, portable devices however is a different story.
    See that negative can outshine the positives you stated.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@6 Throw down a sale for Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PlayStation Store if that’s an option for you. Minor masterpiece and a bonafide classic, that game.

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

Microsoft showing Minecraft vs. Sony showing indies on stage presenting their own games. Really, it’s just showeffect but tells the whole story.

#11 1 year ago
  12. KAP

I love that this dude, rather keep his integrity then make millions.
    We all must learn from that…

After reading this entire article I have a better understanding of Microsoft plans and why developers have issues with them.
    Sony, is really taking a huge risk on us gamers and that I applaud.
    I’ve preordered my PS4 after reading this article to support them.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

Lorne Lanning is a proper dude. Interviewed him at Eurogamer Expo last year and the man doesn’t bullshit around, totally anti-establishment and tells it how it is. We need more folk like him.

#13 1 year ago
  14. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 I have to agree. It’s the degree of arrogance shown by MicroSoft that really angers people.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

Ouch @ CD Project (The Witcher 3 team).

Seriously, they are kinda saying that Witcher 3 guys sold out to MS. Of course the scope and budget of W3 does require for the game to be released on all platforms but still, ouch.

(Also, if the only reason for CD Project to release on X1 was the need of the game, they could have done so without having a flashy show on X1 conference of all places).

#15 1 year ago
  16. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that CD Project have enough oomph to be able to look after their fans on X1 if they want to, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that…

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheBlackHole

I can live without his games. The one he made to ‘help launch the box’ wasn’t exactly great.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

This means it’s an automatic sale for me. I hope CD Project grow the balls to do the same.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

I love Oddworld, and Lanning is right, Munch’s Odyssey was one of the first 3 games I bought for the original Xbox. I have loved every Oddworld game, and I hope for new titles in the future. Stranger’s Wrath was great too, I always wished for a sequel. I am so glad he is back in the business.

MS has been this way for a long time. I remember Peter Moore being questioned about Mechassualt and Crimson Skies around the time of the 360 launch, and he said that they were looking for bigger more impactful titles than those two. They later sold Fasa rights off to the guy who started it, which was incredibly stupid.

MS is just so arrogant and restrictive, and I hope they get brought down a peg.

#19 1 year ago
  20. DSB

Lanning deserves a medal

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

Will buy this game day one.

#21 1 year ago
  22. gargus

That’s one of the reasons why I like the PS4. They really got behind developers, publishers and indie guys.

Sony even is waiving fees for smaller updates to indie games, they practically gave away dev kits to for indie guys, they have a team devoted to supporting the indie guys, they let them set their own prices and they let indie guys self publish on PSN.

Supporting the big guys is important, but getting behind the little guys that wont net you as much raw cash speaks volumes about the company.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Jacob.Goode

When i was younger i played munches oddessy on my xbox all the time and i still do up to this day in fact i still have my origanal xbox just laying around just for this game. It would be a disapointment to me if this game did not come out on the xbox 360

#23 8 months ago