Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding to resume after “noise” dies down

Thursday, 13th June 2013 21:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Denis Dyack has said the “noise” over his involvement in Shadow of the Eternals led to various misconceptions being added to an already “unclear” funding campaign.

Speaking with Joystiq at E3, Dyack said Shadow of the Eternals developer Precursor Games and his previous company, Silicon Knights, “have nothing to do” with the other.

“I think that noise was due in large part to misconception,” Dyack said, stating Shadow of the Eternals development did not start at his previous studio using investments made by other companies as has been suggested.

“I guess it’s safe to say there’s always been noise around me and I think that what I’m working on now is to make people understand the games that we’re making,” he said. “We’re working on getting over [the uproar]. I don’t know what else to say. When Precursor was all set up, [Shadow of the Eternals] was something I wanted too.”

Precursor’s COO Shawn Jackson added that it made a mistake by launching its crowd funding endeavor around “a lot of messages”. These messages include the formation of a new studio, who all was involved, and it also failed to focus on detailing Shadow of the Eternals.

“I think, ultimately, that was a mistake on our part,” Jackson says.

A new crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter will be started for less than the original $1.3 million goal, and Precursor plans to only launch a separate crowdfunding campaign if the Kickstarter is a success.

1. tezzer1985

I think Precursor need to remove Denis as a public figure, people on the Internet seem to give this guy stick, which I assume must be harming the PR around this game.

Everytime I hear a interview with Denis, he spends more time talking about his past, then the game the company is working on.

2. salarta

@1: That’s exactly what’s happening. People bitch about Denis Dyack having a job in the video game industry when he’s already been punished for his misdeeds. When this seems to be preventing the company from being able to continue existing and do what they want to do, Dyack steps up when it looks like he has no choice but to address the past. As soon as he does so, people bitch about him some more.

And the thing these people are bitching about concerning Dyack isn’t even what he’s doing now. They’re bitching about his behavior as the guy that used to be in charge of everything of a now dead company, when all he’s doing now is the creative components.

They’re punishing a whole company and all its employees solely to punish one guy for something done in a role completely unrelated to the role he has today, something he’s already been punished for in spades. If Dyack was running the company then I could understand, but he’s not. He’s running a specific division of a company, with at least one person above him in the chain of command.

As far as I see it, refusing to back Shadow of the Eternals as a way to punish Dyack for having a job is like trying to burn down a village because it’s allowing a former criminal that’s already been tried and done his time to live there. “Burning down this village for daring to let this criminal live in it is fine because the villagers can all move to another village” is not a good reason to torch everything they care about.

3. hitnrun

@1 Seriously. He’s almost on the level of a Derek Smart.

And I’m probably the only person who liked Too Human. It fell way short of its Molyneuxesque marketing, but the few hours I put into it were fun and I liked the whole Asgard-meets-the-Matrix thing. Style counts in videogame storytelling.

4. DSB

@2 Holy hyperbole Batman.

Fact is, Dyack was the public face of that campaign. Fair enough if the studio behind the game itself is uniquely worthy and totally awesome, but at no point was that the focus of the campaign.

To you, apparently not wanting to support a guy like that is equal to wanting to hurt the studio, when perhaps more realistically, it’s just a case of people judging the guy by his actions, instead of naively ignoring that very public history, which includes both incompetence, and subsequent attemps to completely refute his accountability for the games he made.

If they want to go with Dyack, they should be really be mature enough to see how that might rob them of credibility by association. There’s nothing unfair about that, and there’s nothing odious about not wanting to support someone who so vehemently refuses to take responsibility for their craft.

5. salarta

@4: He didn’t become the “public face” until people started complaining about him to the point of already effectively killing the project.

I understand not wanting to support a certain person. I hate Motomu Toriyama with a passion, and I’ve refused to buy games because of him and his antics. But the difference is that if Toriyama got demoted and had someone with more class, intellect and skill overseeing his work, I wouldn’t blow off the project he’s on solely because he’s on it.

All I see out of this uproar is a lynch mob of gamers trying to tar and feather the man and anyone and anything he touches unless he’s forced out of the industry entirely. I don’t support that, just like I don’t support what happened to Adam Orth despite the remarks he made.

6. DSB

@5 Wrong.

He is the Chief Creative Officer of Precursor Games, making him one of the studios top ranking executives.

It stands to reason that, being one of their top execs, he would also recieve a sizeable amount of the profits from the Kickstarter.

He’s not featured in the header video for the Kickstarter, but if you scroll down a bit, there are two developer videos, both featuring Dyack front and center.

Denis Dyack isn’t a victim. He’s a developer who made a lousy game, and then refused to take responsibility for it, going as far as to try to use the courts to blame someone else for it. That resulted in yet another epic loss.

He has every opportunity to prove himself. He could start doing that by taking a bit of responsibility for his work, instead of constantly trying to blame someone else.

He hasn’t done that yet. That’s purely on him.

If he wants to use a new game to try and redeem himself, no one’s stopping him. But I don’t think it’s strange that most people would probably rather give their money to someone who’s honest and accountable.

7. Clupula

Is Salarta related to Dennis Dyack or something? There’s no reason to be defending the man.

Especially when you go absolutely nuts over anything Toriyama is involved with.

8. Ireland Michael

I think they need to just put the whole thing to rest.

Eternal Darkness was a long time ago. Silicon Knights made some of my favourite games ever released, but the quality company that created those classics is long gone. It’s time we moved on.