Tom Clancy’s The Division is Ubisoft Massive’s new game

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 00:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Imagine if Ubisoft made a multiplayer-open world game building on the stealth and tactical gameplay of its many Tom Clancy licenses, but set in a post-apocalyptic world. Now look at The Division, Ubisoft’s Massive’s spy-’em-up, and realise all your dreams have come true. The publisher introduced the game with a trailer positing a pandemic cause by infected banknotes on Black Friday, before showing a demo of the experience; both videos are available below.

Currently in the works for PS4 and Xbox One, Tom Clancy’s The Division was originally rumored as a Tom Clancy MMO, but it was announced as a next-gen, online, open-world RPG during the Ubisoft conference at E3. Not an MMO as previously rumored, apparently.

Here’s the premise per Ubisoft: “Back in 2001, a group of scientists and politicians launched a project called Dark Winter, an exercise to test the emergency response to a bio-terrorist attack. The simulation revealed how quickly everything would fall apart, with massive civilian casualties and a complete breakdown of civil society.”

“The bio-attack came from the flu virus which can survive on a bank note for up to 17 days. In the game, a pandemic begins on Black Friday – the biggest shopping day of the year – jumping from money to person, from toys to food, from parent to child and back again. And then everything crumbles. In just one day the hospitals reach capacity. In another, entire zones will be quarantined. By the third day, the stock market has collapsed. Day four: the power fails, the taps run dry, the shelves are empty. And in just five days, everyone is a threat.”

In the demo posted below, it’s three weeks after the pandemic struck. The Division, created back in 2007 via Presidential Directive 51, is tasked with reaching a police station in trashed city in what’s called as the “Dark Zone.”

Once inside, the police station, the Division agents free an imprisoned police officer, who tells them that two more cops are being held within cells. Watch for yourself.

This is Tom Clancy’s The Division, is coming to PS4 and and Xbox One in 2014

It can also be played on tablets, according to what we witnessed, because one person was playing it on one in the demo. This was not announced though, so it may be some form of app.

1. manamana

Day 1!

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

this looked good and it was played live on the ps4 at the e3!!!!… amazing stuff!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hcw87

One of the most impressive things i’ve ever seen. Holy fucking shit.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

Nothing special. Simple third person shooter … Online. Nothing spectacular. Graphics wise it looked good.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hcw87

Looked good? It looks better than anything i’ve seen, ever.

First class animations too. And not even PC gameplay.

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

This was all kinds of fucking cool!

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

Really cool. Totally impressed with this.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ArcticMonkey

Amazing… Ubi steals the show again!

#8 1 year ago
  9. CyberMarco

Yeah, it’s really promising, definitely one of, if not the best game I’ve ever seen of such large scale. I hope Ubisoft will deliver as promised!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

@5,
    Ubisoft is good when they are showing demos.

Remember Watch Dogs from last year? It looked amazing and this year’s trailers are not that great graphics wise compared to what was shown at E3 last year.

This looks really good, but I doubt it will look like that really especially for a MMOFPS/RPG.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Hcw87

Well, Watch Dogs last year most likely ran on PC. Several trailers released have shown the current gen footage too.

I would very much like a confirmation that this game was running on PS4 now though, and not just a PC build.

I’m way more impressed with this than i was with Watch Dogs last year even.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Tavarish

Looked very interesting. Could make me purchase console for this game alone.

#12 1 year ago
  13. harr0w

not enough info, graphically the world looked really nice. im interested maybe more so than i am with watchdogs. definitely more info needed though.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

I can’t wait for this game. The concept, the gameplay and the overall feel of the game looks really tight. I can see myself playing this for hours.

Who cares? SO they will tone down the fidelity of the game. The gameplay will still be there and that right there is core of the game. THat is what makes it appealing.

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

That is a worry…

Watchdogs did change quite a bit…

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

I liked what I saw, nice to see it running on PS4.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TrickyAudio

In the words of Borat… VERY NICE I LIKE

#17 1 year ago
  18. gamergirl89

Did they happen to mention when it was going to be released? I must have missed it if so.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Tavarish

@18 Current partyline is that this will be released on PS 4 and X1. No PC.

#19 1 year ago
  20. gamergirl89

@19, Thank you! Will be getting PS4 no doubt! Not looking forward to Xbox1

#20 1 year ago
  21. Erthazus

I’m on the fence. I don’t believe in Open World Game with RPG/TPS with Online from Ubisoft. I don’t believe in that. Not because it is impossible, but because we are talking about Ubisoft.

#21 1 year ago
  22. fearmonkey

Game looked amazing, I will be getting this one.

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

… so what’s the point of this game? What’s the goal?

Gotta say though, it does look solid. Maybe fake solid, but solid.

Those conversations were funny though. Nobody talks like that.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Erthazus

@23, Something like STALKER or DayZ in New York, Manhattan… Well that kind of stuff.

and yeah, nobody talks casually like that with a gun that can kill you. That was… just… too soft.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Tavarish

@23 & @24 It was all VOIP between players with filter slapped on.

#25 1 year ago
  26. manamana

Anybody else felt uncomfortable during the trailer?

#26 1 year ago
  27. MadFingerz

@14 tbh there wasn’t much gameplay there, it was mostly nice visuals and slick animations. Gameplay wise you only saw a glimpse of a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements.

And the visuals are important when it comes to atmosphere. I doubt the final build will look this atmospheric, which is sad.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Phoenixblight

I saw the gameplay and it was enough for me to see the potential in that and its a MMO which means they will have constantly build and update it just as all MMOs do. Watch Dogs wasn’t toned down that much not unless you take last years E3 and watch the 360 gameplay.

#28 1 year ago
  29. YoungZer0

@25: I know and nobody talks like that.

#29 1 year ago
  30. actuallyisnotafox

it looked really beautiful and it being a tom clany game and just the rpg, social aspects could be really interesting ^.^

#30 1 year ago
  31. DSB

Pretty sure this is gonna be an “MMO” in the same sense that Simcity 5 was an “MMO”. Just another word for “always online”.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Ireland Michael

@31 The game clearly showed off missions, co-op and PvP, in a wide open city. I’d say that’s fairly MMO.

#32 1 year ago
  33. absolutezero

Roger dodger gonna check out the toilets.

Okie Dokie over and out cover my six going for a shit over.

#33 1 year ago
  34. DSB

@32 Oh okay, I was purely looking at the videos in the post.

I don’t know how many of the original people survived the Activision/Ubisoft limbo at Massive, but they were my favourite studio before all that madness happened.

I’m sure it won’t be totally crap, but a company like Ubisoft delivering a truly mindblowing MMO? I just don’t see that in a million years. They couldn’t even get always online right, and they had like close to ten attempts at it.

#34 1 year ago
  35. AmiralPatate

Great, no PC version. I understand though, it’s not really a good platform for online games and RPGs. I guess I’ll have to take my money elsewhere.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Joe_Gamer

That…was fucking sexy…

#36 1 year ago
  37. Legion

As they said it was changed from being labeled as a MMO to “open-world RPG”. Console players draw more to the labeling of “open world RPG” then that of MMO. While PC will oddly enough be more enticed by the MMO verbiage. But either way the areas are Massive and will allow Multiplayer and PvP action as seen by the video demo at E3.

This game is tied for #1 interest in my next Gen gaming. Right next to Titanfall. With Battlefield 4 oddly dropping to #2 spot. (or would that be #3 if the first 2 titles are tied at #1?)

The PS4 gameplay demo showcased the game nicely. The tablet user likely only had access to the flying support role that he was using when he appeared in the demo. Similar to the tablet being used as the ‘Commander Mode’ in the Battlefield 4 trailer. Don’t look for any keyboard/mouse controlled option for PS4 and Xbox One players with their main characters.

Truly a special game for next Generation systems!

#37 1 year ago