The Last Guardian: Sony retracts “on hiatus” comment

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 18:28 GMT By Staff

SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said that it’s “misleading” to describe The Last Guardian as “on hiatus”, as it’s still in active development.

Responding to concern over a comment from SCEA boss Jack Tretton, Yoshida said the Team Ico adventure is still in the works.

“That hiatus term – I’m not a native English-speaking person – but that’s misleading,” Yoshida told Kotaku.

“The game is in active development. [Lead designer Fumito] Ueda-san shared updates a few months ago. Nothing has changed. My answer is, ‘Yes, the game is in active development.’ It’s not hiatus at all. But we are not ready to reintroduce it. When we are ready, we will do that. Please wait.”

Original Story:

SCEA boss Jack Tretton has told GTTV that The Last Guardian is “on hiatus”. However, just because it is on “hiatus” doesn’t mean it’s canned.

“I think the cool thing about our worldwide development studios is we have so many projects out there from so many great teams,” Tretton told GTTV (via TSA). “Projects never ultimately go away, so The Last Guardian has certainly not gone away, but it’s on hiatus right now.”

The Last Guardian announced back in 2009 for PS3 and many rumblings on the net seem to think it has moved over to PS4.

It sounds like it to us, but we’re not soothsayers.

1. Ercarret

What the [bleep]!

#1 10 months ago
  2. redwood

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK!!!

#2 10 months ago
  3. Ireland Michael

Please excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

*goes to cry in the corner*

#3 10 months ago
  4. AHA-Lambda

shit.

#4 10 months ago
  5. redwood

ok .. this is the most weirdest piece of news ever! More please

#5 10 months ago
  6. redwood

give me the source… I will finish it!

#6 10 months ago
  7. tenthousandgothsonacid

Gamespot has this though

#7 10 months ago
  8. Clupula

Uh…did a bear attack in the middle of writing this?

#8 10 months ago
  9. yeoung

*classic Darth Vader scream*

#9 10 months ago
  10. salarta

Stephany, you should just change the body of the article to “loading.” :)

#10 10 months ago
  11. redwood

if it’s really on haitus.. than am afrair it’s dead! AND FUCK YOU SONY AND FUMITO for doing this.. thank you!

#11 10 months ago
  12. loveaya

Are the Titans attacking on VG247 when writing this?

#12 10 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

Seriously though E3 madness, Steph deserves a medal for whats she has done.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Bomba Luigi

Maybe if I say please where Kind? I wait for that since… 80 Years or so.

For gods sake, put it on Kickstarter if this helps.

#14 10 months ago
  15. tenthousandgothsonacid

PS5 exclusive :D

#15 10 months ago
  16. tenthousandgothsonacid

P.s. This what happens when you let artists run projects. They needed a hard nut with a big stick stood over them.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Gnosis

Yeah, pretty much what I expected. It was already quite suspicious that they didn’t mention it during the conference and here we have it.

#17 10 months ago
  18. DSB

@8 Man, you would feel so bad if that turned out to be true.

#18 10 months ago
  19. polygem

so what now? i don´t get it…i did read it is still in development somewhere today…wtf! this game needs to be made.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@19 Basically its not cancelled, but they’re just… not currently working on it, I guess.

#20 10 months ago
  21. polygem

…let´s just hope it´s a (bad!) joke and they will surprise us with a gameplay demo and a ps4 launch title release date at tgs. ok? can we agree about that? please!

#21 10 months ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@21 I’m not holding my breath.

I was deeply looking forward to this, more than anything else this generation. Time to move on, I guess.

This news actually makes me genuinely sad. *sighs*

#22 10 months ago
  23. Bloobat

Full interview here: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ulnvnz/playstation-4-e3-2013–jack-tretton-drops-the-mic–stream-

#23 10 months ago
  24. Belmont

After so many ages in development. I wonder what is going on with it. Unless the development has been halted and resumed several times, I don’t think a game (regardless of how stunning and unique)can take so long.
    Development hells are the worst sign for a game. GT5 suffered the same dev cycle.While GT5 was being developed, Forza became something big ! The manager guy on Gtplanet was damn excited for Forza 5 in an article.

I hate to say that, but I think it is joining Agent. Even if it comes out, expectations are so high that it will fall short.
    They should learn from Naughty Dog. One masterpiece every two years.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Eddie Rodrigues

Certainly it is coming to PS4, although it might have the same, beg your pardon, Duke Nukem Forever effect. Everyone gets hyped and then hate the game because it isn’t what they “asked for”.

#25 10 months ago
  26. redwood

@20 .. haitus = shelved..

#26 10 months ago
  27. polygem

no. i refuse to believe it. it will arrive within the next 12 months!

#27 10 months ago
  28. redwood

@polygem.. lets hope so :(

#28 10 months ago
  29. polygem

#29 10 months ago
  30. redwood

my lord.. this has fucked up my moood!!!

#30 10 months ago
  31. viralshag

I told you so :P

#31 10 months ago
  32. Ireland Michael

:’(

#32 10 months ago
  33. Blue Oni

I’d really like to know what are the problems with this game.Why is it so damn hard to finish it?

#33 10 months ago
  34. Belmont

Perhaps because they can’t make it work and run properly, perhaps some of the dev team are drug addicts, or perhaps because they started developing it slowly to get a guiness record for slow development.I don’t know. It is ridiculous !

#34 10 months ago
  35. Monk

I remember when I Was reading manga if any manga put in hiatus
    It’s due to different reasons, like the author was sick or he need to take
    a long break from the manga, but I really don’t (ever) remember one
    Of them was canned after that.

So the using of the word hiatus from jack was spot on.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Cort

Oh crap.

I’m close to quitting gaming after all the news this month.

#36 10 months ago
  37. MisterNobody

SURPRISE!

Now that the internet has collectively shit itself over the fact that the PS4 is 100 dollars cheaper than the Xbox, Sony announces that most of the games shown last night (except for the shitty David Cage gradeschool-written flaccid melodrama crying-simulations and first party sequels to “guys in t-shirts/car that drives pretty” games) are actually multiplatform releases and not actual exclusives, and that the camera and inevitable “Move 2″ will cost you at least a 100 dollars, AND that the PS4 will probably end up having locked used-game registrations if third-party developers ask Sony to!

Surprise! It’s the same corporate bullshit it’s always been!

Oh, and you know that sequel to easily the most beloved Sony original title? CANCELLED!

Happy E3!

#37 10 months ago
  38. Beta

@37 Good lord aren’t you a ray of sunshine? Crack a smile grumpus. :)

#38 10 months ago
  39. Cort

@37 Hi G1GA.

#39 10 months ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

lolwut?

#40 10 months ago
  41. MisterNobody

@38 I’m actually pretty pleased with this E3 overall, though I am not impressed with the PS4 or the X-Box One in all honesty. All of the genuinely great looking games are multiplatform. And the exclusives I’m actually into seem to be Nintendo-bound.

I just look forward to the PC benefiting from a console generation that isn’t anemic in the tech department.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Beta

Update from Sony. Apparently not on hiatus.

#42 10 months ago
  43. killersense

come on guys the way I look at it is that the game is coming out. if they weren’t actively working on it or have stopped then they would say so. it only hurts them to tease people for long periods just to say they cancelled it. at this point they want the game to ready for shipment before they come out and show it. that is what shu said that they broke promises before so the next time they show will be when its ready. it will come out when its ready so until then enjoy other games.

#43 10 months ago
  44. manamana

Ohgod thanks for the good news, Beta! :-)

#44 10 months ago
  45. polygem

see? SEE!
    thanks beta, now i can go to bed!

#45 10 months ago
  46. Beta

You’re all welcome. ;)

So basically, time to rejoin the waiting game.

#46 10 months ago
  47. Brenna Hillier

Updated.

#47 10 months ago
  48. polygem

thanks brenna. now i really believe in it :)

#48 10 months ago
  49. redwood

well that’s better.. but lord knows what they are trying to make in this game … am not thinking about it anymore.

#49 10 months ago