GTA 5 sales won’t be dented by PS4 & Xbox One release, says Zelnick

Thursday, 6th June 2013 09:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 isn’t heading to next-gen formats, and although as the game’s September release may be in close proximity to the launch of PS4 and Xbox One, Take Two CEO Strauss Zelnick believes this won’t have a negative impact on the game’s sales.

Speaking with MCV, Strauss said, “Grand Theft Auto V is the most highly anticipated release of our biggest franchise. It features the largest, most dynamic and most diverse open world Rockstar Games has yet created.

“The installed base of current generation consoles is estimated to be in excess of 120 million, and most of those consumers have been waiting for Grand Theft Auto V for years. Therefore, we expect there to be enormous consumer demand for Grand Theft Auto V regardless of when the next-generation consoles are released.”

Do you think the release of next-gen formats will detract from GTA 5 sales at all? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, you can pre-order GTA 5 ahead of its September 17 launch on PS3 and Xbox 360. We’ve got a run-down of Rockstar’s special edition bundles here.

1. Gekidami

Well they wont be getting my money, at least. I’m not getting it in September only to have a brand new console about 2 months later that wont play it. Next gen version or i’ll just skip it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Malmer

If they don’t release an Xbox One version atleast I would be very surprised. DirectX on the PC and the One is very much the same.

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

I can’t imagine this having *that* much of an impact; GTA’s a sales juggernaut, it’s going to make a billion dollars no matter what. For some folk it might be their last PS3/360 game before they buy into next-gen, but for the majority it’ll just be another big end of year release.

Still, as someone who’s looking to sell their PS3 to help fund my PS4 purchase, it has represented a bit of a quandary. Luckily I’ve still got an old 360 lying around – I’ll probably keep that around the house a few weeks longer thanks to GTA V. *sigh* First World problems ^_^

#3 1 year ago
  4. KAP

@1 stop lying to yourself. Lets say the next generation consoles come out for November which is realistic, your telling me two months with GTAV won’t be enough time? You’d be kool to wait for two months while everyone else is talking so highly of it? Come the fuq on… don’t be silly fella!
    It doesn’t make you a sucker if you buy GTAV twice on two seperate consoles, the fact that we all buy games at the cost we pay for them today is pretty much theft anyway so dont threat bud..

My stance is if Rockstar announces GTAV for PS4 launch which is obviously unlikely then ill get it for that.
    If not ill get it at a later date….

#4 1 year ago
  5. G1GAHURTZ

They’re bound to lose a good few million in sales from people who simply put their PS360 in the cupboard.

Not all sales are day 1. Many millions of copies are sold over the course of the following year, so if there are next gen GTA clones out in November/December, I doubt that people would reach for the old console instead of just buying something new.

They must be aware that sales will almost certainly drop off much more quickly than usual.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Kieran

1 or 2 months wont hurt a gta 5 maybe some less known franchise or new ip regardless how good it is but no way will it hurt gta 5 !!!!!! everyone will probaly keep their current consoles longer for this game

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheLastDodo

Personally I’ll be waiting until there’s a decent sized and varied library before I jump on a next gen console.

GTA V and my backlog will keep me busy for a good year.

#7 1 year ago
  8. dkpunk

“GTA V and my backlog will keep me busy for a good year.”
    My thoughts exactly.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Moonwalker1982

It would help even more if they get this game on the next-gen consoles too. Either a simple port or a port from the inevitable PC version. Or simply a way to get it on Games on Demand or something.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ditg

I’ve learned my lesson about buying consoles at launch (I’m looking at you Wii U) so I will not be buying next gen systems for a looooong time. GTA V will do nicely for me.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Badger

I almost feel that it could be the other way around: GTAV could negatively affect the sales of the next gen consoles. I know that I would much rather have a new GTA than a new, overpriced console with likely very few decent games.

GTA is a juggernaut, and for good reason. As long as the game is as good as it is looking, I have no doubt that it’ll sell more than previous iterations.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Chris8bits

Of course they won’t. Nobody in their right mind would miss out on this game, just because new systems are coming out soon after. It’s just not logical, and it will show in the sales.

#12 1 year ago
  13. tmac2011

@1 your buying it stop denying it

#13 1 year ago
  14. El_MUERkO

I was going to hold out for the PC release this time, I enjoyed GTAIV and its expansions but with the new consoles being released I sense and enhanced version for PC and Next-Gen being announced a few months after release.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

Im already planning on getting it for both PS3 and 360. If they do end up releasing a PS4, I’ll pick that up as well.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Uncontested

I can’t see this being a great business move. Sure only some will immediately upgrade and most will keep playing PS3 and 360. I’ll still be buying it but it’ll be kind of bitter sweet to shelve it only 2 months later for a new console. I cant do the back and forth thing.

Hell, I still haven’t plugged in my old computer in over two years despite all the gigs of media and things I want off of it. An old PS3 next to my shiny PS4 will be very much the same, lol.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

@16 – Well, you’re probably in the minority. I don’t think I’ll get a PS4 until maybe 2 or 3 years from now, considering how much support the PS3 is going to continue to get.

This was the smartest thing for them, since, out of the 150 million people who own PS3′s and 360′s, it’s incredibly optimistic to think even 10% of those people will upgrade this holiday season.

And since most of us aren’t going to upgrade, the more games for the current gen, the better.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Alphamale85

Stupid thing to do. I’ve been waiting n waiting for this game to come out I was 100% sure that with the games giant fan base they would release it on next gen consoles especially since its release date is so close to the release date of the new consoles. Even as much as I love gta games I’m not spending money on it if you can’t play it on next gen systems simple as that what a disappointing result to all the big hype

#18 1 year ago
  19. Treyville11

I won’t be buying that mudafucka then if it ain’t ps4 it’s a waste of money what u gon do with it when u beat it cant give it back to game stop they gon give u 20 dollars waste of 60 dollars and u might beat it in a few days maybe 4 or 5

#19 1 year ago