Rocksmith series has sold 1.4 million copies, new study confirms shredding benefits

Tuesday, 4th June 2013 17:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A national study by the Research Strategy Group, has found Rocksmith is “the fastest way to learn how to play the guitar.

The study was conducted via hundreds of participants across New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Dallas.

The results support earlier research conducted by the Toluna Group, which found that 95% of Rocksmith players claimed it improved their guitar skills.

Ubisoft also revealed that the Rocksmith series has sold 1.4 million copies worldwide since its release in October 2011.

An additional 3 million songs have been downloaded from the title’s library of 143 DLC tracks.

Altogether, players have played an estimated 112 billion notes.

More Rocksmith news is to be revealed at E3 in June.

An infographic is below.

1. deathm00n

And when I said to people I was really learning how to play with it, they laughed at me. My brother mastered a lot of the songs and he can play songs that aren’t in the game. We never done guitar class

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I have considered getting it myself for a while now. I just need to be able to afford a decent guitar. Even used prices around here are stupid high.

3. deathm00n

@2 Yeah, I just borrowed one from my uncle. But it’s a good investment Steph. But just remember it’s not like you are playing a game, you have to train every now and then, get your fingers used to the strings, it hurts the fingers in the beginning too.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Lordie yeah it does. I remember the electric guitar I had a teenager. Blisters central! :D

5. Gekidami

So how exactly does this thing work? You plug an actual electric guitar into your console or whatever and it teaches you how to play it?

6. sh4dow

Hm, maybe I should get this. I stopped playing the guitar because I was frustrated by only finding songs that were either too easy or too hard for me. And the hours it took to find one damn song that’s appropriate leading up to that point. Very annoying.
    Maybe this would be great for finding appropriate songs easily.

7. orakaa

@5: watch this video, it’ll give you a clear idea

8. Bill_E_Talent

I hope they continue to support this game. My biggest grievance by far is with the loading times between songs, something which I am certain could be rectified in a next-gen release.

Keep the songs coming Ubi!

9. MadFingerz

I so wish I had the time and money to buy this…

10. Clupula

As someone who actually knows how to play guitar, I was always annoyed by games like Rockband and Guitar Hero. I remember my guitarist showing me that Guitar Hero had “Institutionalized” from Suicidal Tendencies on it and I remember getting super pissed off when the game was telling me I was playing it wrong when I was playing the actual rhythm the guitar does.

This doesn’t bother me at all. I have heard there’s a bad lag, though, so I’m not sure if this would throw your rhythm off when it comes towards actually playing without the game. Still, maybe that has been patched since the game first came out.

Anything can teach people to actually play is a good thing for me.

I’m mostly self-taught. I had three weeks of guitar lessons and then figured out everything else on my own. I’m a fairly average guitarist (I’d say I’m about Kerry King of Slayer-levels), so often I write stuff for the band that I can’t play very well, that my guitarist polishes up and plays better than me.

11. deathm00n

My only complaint is the price of the DLC songs.