Plants vs Zombies 2: It’s About Time dated, is free-to-play

Monday, 3rd June 2013 14:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Plants Vs Zombies 2: It’s About Time has been unveiled by Popcap Games. The free-to-play sequel will launch worldwide on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch from July 18.

A press release sent to VG247 this afternoon confirmed that the game will be showcased at E3 next week and that while it comes with microtransactions gamers will be able to experience everything without spending a penny. You will be able to pay for in-game items however.

It’s a time-travelling romp that spans the past, present and future, across locales such as the Wild West, ancient Egypt and the pirate era. Players will also be able to buy goods and seek advice from Crazy Dave as well.

Senior producer Allen Murray said in a statement, “We’re confident that players will see the love and attention we’ve put into this game.

“We’ve created wild new ways to experience the plants and zombies you know and love as well as packing the game with tons of completely new content, and we’re still hard at work coming up with even more cool stuff that will keep Plants vs. Zombies 2 fresh and evolving in the months and years following launch.”

Are you excited for Plants Vs Zombies 2? Let us know below.

1. RandomTiger

Loved the original, cant but help feel F2P will change the gameplay.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Max Payne

I am hoping they will expand platforms very soon.

#2 11 months ago
  3. OnionPowder

Free to Play and Apple exclusive. Fuck yourselves EA

#3 11 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

Oh look, another Pay2Win game… No thanks!

#4 11 months ago
  5. naffgeek

I suppose it is just a sign of the times but this lost me at F2P….

I loved the first one as well, classic game…I try not to jump on the EA hating bandwagon but I really wished Popcap had not sold out to them…didn’t the original designer get sacked too?

#5 11 months ago
  6. OnionPowder

@5 PopCap really had no choice in the sale once they decided to go public. I normally don’t jump on the EA hate bandwagon, so to make this fair. Fuck you PopCap and fuck you EA for bastardizing this great franchise.

#6 11 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

**** you Free-to-Play.

Way to ruin one of the best games this gen.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Cobra951

@3: My feelings exactly.

#8 11 months ago
  9. backup

popcap sucks

#9 11 months ago
  10. DSB

@3,7 My thoughts exactly.

The writing was on the wall when they fired George Fan. Very sad.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

I am not one to jump on the hate bandwagon but I will for this. They should allow for multiplatform and along with give an option to buy the game whole and not in pieces just like a lot of Mobile games do it. Ugh! Pissed!

#11 11 months ago
  12. DSB

It’s hardly the worst of it, but the artstyle is off too. It just looks like some soulless Zynga trash now.

And I bet none of that is enough to keep it from being hugely succesful.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

Game looks like it will be just fine with the F2P model. It doesn’t look like the core game itself has changed in any negative way from the screenshots though.

The original pretty much morphed into the same model over time anyway, with its insanely overpriced extras that took insane grinding to gain access to. But it still maintained a pricetag despite the fact.

#13 11 months ago