Insomniac looking into creating “new Fuse experiences,” says Price

Tuesday, 28th May 2013 21:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Fuse was released in the US today and already Insomniac are looking into creating “new Fuse experiences.”

Speaking on the developer’s official website, Insomniac boss Ted Price said the team is “just getting started” on what it hopes will be a new franchise.

“For those of you who dig what we do with crazy worlds, characters and weapons…for those of you who check out Fuse and enjoy a co-op romp through a very “Insomniac” game, this is what I have to say: we’re just getting started,” he said.

“We’ve already begun expanding what we’ve begun with Fuse. Right now as I write this we’re taking the core concepts behind Fuse and prototyping new stuff…stuff that leverages this bizarre alien substance which is at the heart of the game. No, I’m not talking about DLC. I’m talking about new Fuse experiences altogether.

“What’s wonderful about creating and owning one’s IP is that you can take it any direction you want. And that’s what we’re going to do. Stay tuned.”

Fuse scores can be found through here, and the game is releasing in the UK on May 31 for PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. ps3fanboy

they will not saying this next year… next year ‘fuse’ is forgotten.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Head back to “Overstrike” or you don’t gain my interest.

#2 11 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

“Better, our weapons team decided to take off the T-rated shackles and go big with the weapons’ visceral nature. ”
    Huh? Why is that important, Mr. Price?…all the more a pity that the result is still utterly unremarkable.

“The Magshield started liquefying” see above. “The weapons crew prototyped this vicious-looking effect where enemies were trapped in razor-edged black melanite.” (WHAT, you mean – LIKE the effects in PROTOTYPE?)

It’s like I’m reading some pre-teen’s enthusiastic sci-fi composition. He’s just throwing buzzwords, and there’s a level of hey, look at us! All this random shit that we threw in our game…

I didn’t expect that. I heard earlier on, about a forthcoming post by Price (I assumed it to be hosted on Insomniac) and I believed I’d be seeing an honest explanation of ‘this is why we did what we did’ why divisive alterations occurred, and this was our motivation…Instead, my estimation of Insomniac’s been well struck. A definite misstep. :( The game itself looked bad enough.

“Fuse plays pretty well, but with smoother execution and a more cohesive identity, it would have an easier time standing out in a genre that, as this generation of consoles comes to a close, is wearing out its welcome more and more.” – Brad Shoemaker, GiantBomb.

That’s just the impression I am getting of this game, that it exists as a finished example of a soon to be relegated and archived development philosophy.
    They’re going to need to do more to salvage Fuse than be edgy.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Blue Oni

Please return to making fun 3D platformers Insomniac.What happened to the company that made three amazing Spyro games and some very fun R&C games? :(

#4 11 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

This is a question that we will never get an answer to :(

#5 11 months ago
  6. Francis O

@4 Call of Duty…that’s what happened.

In Fuse’s case, Borderlands 2 might have been more of an inspiration. But the shooter genre is in over the platforming genre. So publishers want shooters.

#6 11 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

@6. Yeah, B2 sprang to my mind as I watched too; but honestly, it’s closer mechanically to equate to something like Brute Force, given that the Diablo-ish gear fetish isn’t present with Fuse. You’re limited to tech trees for character build.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Richenbaum

Borderlands 2 and inspiration in the same sentence? weird.

#8 11 months ago