War for Nosgoth mentioned in AMD driver update, Steam Database

Monday, 27th May 2013 01:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Rumoured Legacy of Kain sequel War for Nosgoth has turned up in a driver update from GPU manufacturer AMD.

The mysterious title is referenced multiple times in the patch notes for AMD Catalyst 13.5; a post on the Eidos forums details how the community found them.

Meanwhile, an entry titled simply “Nosgoth” has turned up on the Steam database.

For those who came in late, Nosgoth is the name of the world in which the Legacy of Kain games are set. Before you cry “coincidence”, remember that Square Enix did register a “War for Nosgoth” domain name in February.

Crystal Dynamics, which took over the series from Silicon Knights after just one entry, and turned it into something of a hit, is rumoured to be working on a new entry; some storyboards turned up recently, even.

Thanks, AllGamesBeta.

1. SplatteredHouse

An entry titled Nosgoth, with a logo the same. 0.0

#1 1 year ago
  2. Night Hunter

Please don’t be a MOBA
    Please don’t be an MMO
    Please don’t be on iOS and Android
    Please let a new LoK game come out and not be cancelled by stupid execs at SE

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dark

^ http://i.imgur.com/ZCgUN6j.png

#3 1 year ago
  4. NeoSquall

@2 “Please let a new LoK game come out and not be cancelled by stupid execs at SE”
    Maybe your confusing them with Activision.

Anyway, what if the game is a “bridge” title between the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series, which shows Kain’s rising dominion over Nosgoth and his liutenants creation and definition of their own clans?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Night Hunter

@4: No I’m not, Square is clearly trying to (falsely) blame their western developers for their financial failure, rumour is a sequel to Sleeping Dogs has already been cancelled.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Puggy

I could somehow manage to take it being an MMO, as long as it is not yet another shooter reboot…

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

I’m trying not to get tremendously excited about this. A new Legacy of Kain game done right could be one of the most amazing things to grace my computer this year (or next year, whenever it’s released). But I’ve known to bite back my expectations because this kind of thing has been ruined in the past by people trying to be ULTRA-REALISTIC with things.

I’m hoping the palette and the sheer craziness of it won’t have been dumbed down, and I’m hoping Raziel makes a comeback. But I’m cautiously hoping, and very nearly optimistic but not quite. I want this to be, but I can see so many ways in which it could go wrong. We all saw the Thief reboot, we were all there. We all know how badly this could go.

But I am… cautiously optimistic.

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lahanas

For the love of dear God this has to be true. I need a new Legacy of Kain game.

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

If it is a MOBA game, I’ll send multiple soul revears to destroy every single exec at SE.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Klarden

Nonononononononon please noooo.
    With the name like that, without Amy, without a lot of people who did LoK the amazing way it was, don’t do a new one. Just, don’t fuck up one of the greatest series ever, don’t even try, for fuck’s sake.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

They might bring them back on board, maybe. Or at least try to. But I can definitely understand the fear, here.

I blame Thief for putting the fear of reboots into me as I just can’t understand how you can reboot a game and yet not understand anything of what made that game brilliant. It’s ended up looking more like a challenger to Assassin’s Creed — and that can’t be a good thing for a Thief game. With such a recent instance of being appalled by EIDOS, who’re wholly owned by Square-Enix, I just find it hard to be optimistic.

So I really think Thief is to blame, here. Square-Enix’s name is attached to both this and Thief. As such, it’s not easy to believe that if Thief is so bad that this would be any better. I know, I know, different development houses. And Deus Ex: Human Revolution was somewhat better than I was expecting even if far from brilliant, but still.

(Of course, Human Revolution’s problems were mostly the bosses and Malik’s rescue. Both of which were a hearty fuck you to anyone playing stealthy and non-lethally. And the cameras that don’t sound any alarm, which is hateful towards people with poor sight, then there’s the fact that sometimes people would randomly die even when they were just unconscious a little while ago. But other than that? It wasn’t bad.)

The problem is is that without Thief being particularly stellar, it’s difficult to believe that Square-Enix is invested in ensuring that their development houses are staying faithful to the spirit of any particular game series.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@14 – Yeah, Amy’s going to leave Naughty Dog for this.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

“They might bring them back on board, maybe. Or at least try to”

Hahah Works for a studio that is leading the industry not just in sales but also development processes and she will go a company that is struggling heavily because they don’t get it? Riiiight.

Btw this is talking about an driver update if its already going to a GPU that would mean it is far in development, too far in fact that they would have the story and game hammered down.

#14 1 year ago