Xbox One: “Europe is critical” says Microsoft’s Spencer

Friday, 24th May 2013 12:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One is not a US-centric console, Microsoft Games Studio’s vice-president Phil Spencer has stressed, and has called Europe ‘critical’ to the company’s success moving forward.

Speaking with OXM, Spencer said, “We’ve got our partnership with Crytek, which is going well, which is good to see. Our investment in first-party in Europe is critical. Europe is a critical market for us next generation.

“I don’t have to give you the map – you can just go back and look at the map of Xbox 360 and how well we’ve done – we’ve been very strong in North America and we’ve been strong in Canada, we’ve been strong in the UK.

“There are markets in Europe where we need to do better, and our lead there in bringing on Phil Harrison is how do we bring on a senior executive who can look across all parts of our business with a background of creating success in Europe and give him that charter.”

Spencer stressed that things won’t get too US-centric and that if they do lean too heavily towards America, Harrison will give him a kicking, “[We'll] give him the studio resources, give him the contacts with the field sales team, the marketing team and the connections here in Redmond to kick us upside the head when we get too North American-centric. He would actually kick over my head, I think, he’s very tall.”

Yikes.

He added, “It’s great to see that leadership in Europe for us, and [European Xbox boss] Chris Lewis has done a great job for us as more sales and marking, but now we’re working with Phil, it’s creating a real tight partnership where we can look at all aspects of our business.

“And specifically, in some of the southern European markets, its very important that we up our game there relative to the competition, because it’s an area where there’s opportunity for us.

“Knock on wood, our strength in the US is something that we’ll continue to focus on, but now having Phil on that team in Europe is really going to be a catalyst, hopefully for us achieving more in Europe.”

So there you have it folks, Europe is very much a part of Microsoft’s strategy for Xbox One going on. What do you make of the above?

1. The_Red

Of course, Europeans love NFL, fantasy AMERICAN football features and Halo TV series… wait.

#1 1 year ago
  2. unacomn

Well, at least this time we won’t have to wait four freegin years for Xbox Live to be available around here… I hope.
    They’re okallydokally with launching the console, but the service? Nope!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Kabby

Better butter up those EU lawgivers then MS. I’m sure they will have something to say about the lockdown on second hand sales as well as the always on Kinect.

#3 1 year ago
  4. mkotechno

And because of this we will use the 1$ = 1€ rate.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Llewelyn_MT

I’m sure they intend to push some 400M of the 1B units in Europe. That makes at least 3 units in my immediate family of 4. Since we have 2 gaming PCs already this might not work.

#5 1 year ago
  6. NinjaHart

I really don’t hope MS think europeans are dumb enough to just give them out money for this shit. When they give me a really bad offer which is going to keep making me pay for stuff I shouldn’t have to pay for. They are not going to get much of my money.

If EU is critical for Xbox One’s success, I say they have already screwed themselfs over.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

With probably half of the Stuff you call next big Thing not available in Europe this is maybe a Problem.

And I really hope EU is looking good at Kinect and the Used Games stuff. I don’t understand enough to say if this is alright, but they should.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lewis247

If Europe is critical to them, then they have basically shot themselves in the foot with almost everything they have done so far.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Kieran

i read an article stating ps3 was more popular in Europe than x360 !!! there kinda screwed already if this is true

#9 1 year ago
  10. Tavarish

@8 Made me laugh also, “Europa critical to us” -MS. How it can be when you pump yours OS full of features that are basically North America exclusives and expect that EU’s lawbranch wont say a thing about BigBrother Spycam… I mean Kinect and shooting 2nd hand sales to face?

@9 Sony and PlayStation are really well established in continental Europa, not sure about GB, and has always had better sales here than XBox.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

Posturing.
    Also Phil Harrison to head “MoE”. Because everyone knows that approach has worked out wonderfully for consumers with Nintendo and there’s never been an issue with games releases through Sony…
    I’m not sure who the backwards folk are: The people they were knocking before, or Microsoft itself, for repeating past organisation mistakes others made.

#11 1 year ago
  12. laughing-gravy

If MSoft think I’m going to subsidize their American TV service with my game purchases they can forget it. Europe a priority?. We aren’t deemed fit enough to have one of the new systems critical functions. No thanks I’ll pass.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Beta

Is it really Phil? Because I’ve seen little evidence of that so far.

#13 1 year ago
  14. manamana

Blah blah blah. The Xbox brand did nothing for europe since launch. Aint gonna change with the new one, thats for shure. I’m done with this advertising infested gold membership now. This comes from a (once) loyal xbox heavy user, just in case….

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps3fanboy

you gotta be kidding when saying this is a ‘company’s success moving forward’.. LOL! microsoft have been moving backward pretty much all the way after the xbone reveal… microsoft are so full of them self that its incredible.

#15 1 year ago
  16. orakaa

They also said that they were “committed” to Japan… Now that we think of it, they said exactly the same thing about Europe and Japan for 360… and most of the services offered in the US never arrived here (at least, not in France). So I don’t think it will be any different here.

This is just general PR talk/bullshit, just like when they openly lie and say that an Internet connection is not always requested… but don’t openly say that it is still necessary from time to time (24 hours?) otherwise the console wouldn’t work

#16 1 year ago
  17. Superfrog

“Spencer stressed that things won’t get too US-centric and that if they do lean too heavily towards America, Harrison will give him a kicking.”

—–

Well, that Redmond press event was a good Harrison kicking opportunity then… ^^

#17 1 year ago
  18. davidkenobi

#14 #16 Right! It’s PR bullshit. Our relation with Microsoft is, to me, disastrous. We barely have support from them, there’s no involvement, communication’s tough… (and we hold a big xbox website)

#18 1 year ago
  19. DarkElfa

“We shall go on to the end. We shall sell them in France, we shall sell them over seas and oceans, we shall sell with growing confidence and growing strength in Australia, we shall flog our console, whatever the cost may be…”

“Ummm.. sir, Australia isn’t in Europe…”

#19 1 year ago
  20. fearmonkey

@19 —Accceeesssss HIiiiighhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    (Sorry, Im a big Iron Maiden fan, )

#20 1 year ago
  21. MangoMantang

Please, that EU flag doesn’t represent Europe, please change it with a map of Europe instead.

Thank you.

#21 1 year ago
  22. dizzygear

@19 Australia is often tossed in with Europe due to being part of the PAL zone.

And i do have to say the 360 is a hell of lot better with its online store than the PS3 in Europe.
    SCEE still thinks its perfectly acceptable to take fucking months to put a game on PSN after its already out on the NA store.
    On the 360 on the other hand most games are out in Europe shortly after the NA.

#22 1 year ago