Xbox One: Harrison sheds light on pre-owned fees, always online

Wednesday, 22nd May 2013 10:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One sparked mass confusion last night, with talk of always-online functions, pre-owned fees and the need to go online once every 24 hours to. It’s cloudy at best, but here’s Microsoft’s Phil Harrison to help clarify the matter.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Harrision said that the format is no different to how discs work today, and then added, “So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room.

“We both can’t play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well. What we’re doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that.

“If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system.”

On the issue of having to pay a free to use second-hand copies of games, Harrison continued, “I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home – or even if I leave it with you – if you want to continue to play that game [on your own profile] then you have to pay for it.

“The bits are already on your hard drive, so it’s just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it’s instantly available to play. The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That’s no different to how discs operate today.”

So there you have it folks. Yes there’s a fee for pre-owned, which covers the game license, and no you can’t lend games to friends without them having to pay for it. So it’s not really the same as what we have today.

What do you make of the above?

Cheers OXM.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Publishers will jump on this like crazy to kill the used games market, I am afraid Sony may follow suit, and due to publishers demands they cave in.

If Sony refuses such a thing, and keep such an awful system out then they pretty much won the next gen.

Also this is pretty much stupid, I lend my games to my friends and borrow theirs, why the fuck do I have to pay extra fee ?!, this is messed up, that doesn’t happen when you lend anything to a friend, a TV works just fine, a Car works just fine, a mobile works just fine, and Ipad, ……..etc you name it.

#1 11 months ago
  2. JackTheFaux

So does that mean, when I go to buy the license of a (then) several year old game, I’ll have to pay the launch price of said game through Microsoft’s Games on Demand service?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Atmey

The sad thing some people will pay, not buying the game is not enough, we have to raise a case against this method of “owning”.
    I don’t care if Mircosoft went so bankrupt we had to use linux everywhere.

#3 11 months ago
  4. NinjaHart

@1 GameStop said that 60% of their costumers do NOT want to buy a consol that does not support used games. So by confirming that they do not support it, they pretty much gived Sony those 60% costumers, and that is A LOT of people.

If Sony are smart, they keep alowing PS4 to play used games as we do on PS3 today and they will dominate the market.

#4 11 months ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

@4: Agree, but to do so Sony has to fight publishers you know, no one fought against the online code, hence why I am a bit afraid Sony may not fight against this, they may leave it up to the publishers to include a serial or not.

I really hope Sony stands their ground.

#5 11 months ago
  6. NinjaHart

@5 I agree with that. But if Sony keeps it as it is and Microsoft obviously won’t. The publishers will see what cosole all the games are sold for and hopefully realizes the gamers want to use used games and are not interested in buying games for a consol who don’t support it.

In the end, it can be the costumers that decide it if they get many enough people to make a statement.

#6 11 months ago
  7. silkvg247

No chance of me getting an Xbox One unless they change this.

#7 11 months ago
  8. mongbatstar

I was under the impression that Sony’s equivalent was an optional feature that each game could opt in/out of.

That seems to be a better system, empowering consumers to reward the “good” publishers.

#8 11 months ago
  9. harmundo

But what about this sentence: “The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That’s no different to how discs operate today.”

It is suggest that you have to buy the game if you and the other person want to play it at the same time, but if you and the other person want to play the game in different time, you dont have to buy it. Or i misunderstand something?

#9 11 months ago
  10. karma

“Harrision said that the format is no different to how discs work today”

If that is the case then why change it at all? If it works now, and with additional hassle for gamer, then why change it?

Because they want to create an environment in which they control the way we consume entertainment in all its formats. Ultimately they are vying for control over our wallets, its all about marketing, advertising and consumer manipulation. Thats what Xbox live was set-up for in the first damn place.

Well I say screw that. No way i’m sticking with Microsoft going into the next gen. Just no way. I’m not a particularly big fan of Sony either, but if their machine is free from these nasty hassles and actually does focus on games, then that is where i’ll go.

#10 11 months ago
  11. raftos

@10 Speaking about wallets, I remembered what that guy of Gears of War said in his blog: “Vote with your wallets”, or something like that. Ican say my vote is not going to micro$oft anymore.

#11 11 months ago
  12. mark_t50

How can Harrison say it is ‘no different to how it works today’ and keep a straight face ?

Example: my Brother has 4 Xbox’s in his house, 1 in the living room he uses, 2 in his twin boys bedroom and 1 in his daughters bedroom. They each have their own gamertag they use on their machines. Right now he can take the one BLOPS2 disk the family has and play it on his console and gamertag, but if one of his sons wants to play he can give them the disk and that son can play it on his own machine and gamertag and at the same time my Brother can stay signed in with his own gamertag and just play a different game on his machine in the livingroom.

Now lets pretend these are Xbox One’s. If he buys call of duty 10 and installs it on his machine in the living room, it is now tied to his gamertag, he give the game to his son, but now that son cannot install and play the game on his own gamertag because it asks for the full price of the game, he has to sign in with his dad’s account, but now what happens to the dad’s machine in the living room if he wants to be signed in and playing a different game ? does he get booted off ?

This whole ‘Game Ownership’ thing is a fiasco imho and what they have come out with so far simply seems to shit on families with a limited budget who share a family copy of a game. As for my brother, he’s now saving up for 4 PS4′s (So I hope to god Sony don’t follow suite).

#12 11 months ago
  13. Sini

Isn’t this the bold guy that launched ps3? what is he doing with new xbox.
    OMG, everything seems to make sense now with this shitty reveal.

#13 11 months ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

This is a joke. Pay twice on one bit of content – WHAAAT?! no.no. and NO. Don’t let them take things down that road. ESCALATION, have you heard of it? :( We’ve been enabling this crap. We’ve been enabling Microsoft not to have to directly address and #DEALWITH the Gamestops of the world. Haven’t consumers been set in place amidst the crossfire?

“Harrison continued, “I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game.”
    Didn’t he just say that if he signed in as another user (i.e. not an authorised user in that household) then he would have to pay the fee. What a mess.

#14 11 months ago
  15. ps3fanboy

if you buy this and support it, you have put the death sentence on your gaming hobby.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Dave Cook

@15 sit down.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

@14 “This is a joke. Pay twice on one bit of content – WHAAAT?! no.no.”

No, you are not (and haven’t ever) paid for content. You’ve paid to have access to content. It’s a always been a very significant distinction and it’s a detail that’s key to this topic.

JM

#17 11 months ago
  18. MegaGeek1

“So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room.”

Unless I’m misreading these quotes the whole thing sounds like classic executive rhetoric to me. He is contradicting himself in the same breath. In the first quote he says similar to the 360 one can use the disc on different systems, then he goes on to say that the only way to share a game is through different logins on the SAME system.

#18 11 months ago
  19. fihar

I’m confused.
    Does this mean I can’t play a game that my brother has bought and installed in his account using my own account in the same machine?

Well that’s just bloody ridiculous.

#19 11 months ago
  20. NinjaHart

@17 But still, if you buy the game used, and they have to pay the used game fee, then gamers are punished for buying used games as they have to pay for the game 2 times.

#20 11 months ago
  21. NinjaHart

@19 You can play it on your machine as long as you are logged into HIS account, if you want to play the game from your account, you are going to have to pay the used-game fee to be able too.

the games will be locked to everyon’s personal Xbox account or gamertag if you will.

#21 11 months ago
  22. Fin

I was going to say “no of course you can”, but then thought – well that’s essentially the same scenario as signing in on a friend’s console, your account would be on it, but they have to pay to play…

Maybe they’ll have the concept of a home console or something, so everyone who signs in can play the content on that one?

#22 11 months ago
  23. mightyhokie

I don’t think it is clear at all. The way I read it:

- if you buy a game you can play it on your system under your gamertag
    - if you let a friend use the game he can play it on his gamertag without paying a fee
    - if you buy a used games you can play it on your system without a fee
    - you must have a disk or digital rights to play the game, even if it is installed on your One

Where i think the confusion is is that he uses the word ‘fee’. From what it sounds like to me he would have been better to say ‘purchase’. You have to have the disk or have the digital game on your system in order to play. You can’t just install the disk on a friends One, leave and take the disk, and that friend be able to play the game. He said ‘the disk is the key’.

[edit] I just reread it again and saw the ‘when I take my disc home – or even if I leave it with you – if you want to continue to play that game [on your own profile] then you have to pay for it. ‘
    I think his statements are just plain confusing as shit. On one hand he makes it sound like its just like it is on the 360…you need the disk or the digital download key. On the other hand he just said even if a friend leaves his game there you have to pay if you want to play it on your account. He also said ‘anyone with access to your One at home can play that game’.

None of this makes sense. Just say clearly ‘yes you have to pay a fee to play a used game’ or ‘no. if you buy a game and own the disk and that disk is in your One you can play it’.
    How freaking hard is that??

#23 11 months ago
  24. wolverstreets

Wow.

I refuse to support a system that aims to destroy the entire used game market.

You have any idea how many people that puts out of work? Not to mention just how shitty it is to do that to consumers?

No way I’m buying an XBox One.

#24 11 months ago