Xbox 720 job ads point to X86 processing, PC architecture

Wednesday, 15th May 2013 11:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has posted another round of job adverts calling on applicants to apply for a range of roles that may or may not be linked to features of the Xbox 720. Take your salt pinches and venture onward.

OXM has been playing detective on the company’s job boards and has unearthed a few interesting nuggets, chiefly, this advert for a security officer position.

The ad calls for “experience with both X86 and ARM ISAs,” suggesting that Microsoft’s new rig will closely fall in line with PC architecture. Although given rumblings that the console will run a version of Windows 8 behind the scenes, this probably won’t come as too much of a shock to some.

Another post for a hardware design verification engineer, asks that applicants have a, “Deep understanding of modern PC architecture. In additional key PC chips, experience should include the following: Optical disk drive, Vregs, thermal, firmware testing.”

So if Microsoft’s new rig does indeed offer a PC-like development architecture for studios, it could be a simply machine to code for, and will make it more likely for fledgling studios to deliver their games on the format.

What do you think?

Want all of the current Xbox 720 rumours all in one place? I’ve got you covered here.

1. Rockin a Jack D

Next gen Xbox exclusives on PC via Windows Store…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Llewelyn_MT

That’s very possible. It’s a chunk of the market they could steal from Steam.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Moonwalker1982

That would be absolutely awesome for PC gamers who don’t want to buy a new Xbox solely for exclusives like Halo 5 and so on. That would actually be huge if you ask me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. CyberMarco

I wonder why consoles didn’t sport a more PC-like architecture in the past. Wasn’t it a viable solution in the long-term?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

@4 I wondered if it was a combination of cost and technology. With this generation, processing power is high enough, memory is fast and cheap enough, power consumption is low enough and thermal control is a lot less of an issue so really the timing is perfect. I think if anyone had tried it sooner it would have failed.

@1 That would be a huge draw for me and I would be very impressed if this was the direction they head in. I would happily pay the console price for the xbox games on my PC if I was saving on the hardware cost of the console itself.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

the more easier the consoles are to program for, less developers will release games for the pc. consoles is where the money is, not pc and that is a fact.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@6 That’s an incorrect fact though, but don’t let that get in the way.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Cobra951

@4: PCs and consoles started out from completely different points. (The business-oriented IBM PC wiped all console-like micros off the market 3 decades ago.) The tech is converging now, which makes perfect sense. Better economies of scale + much less developer ramp-up time = dramatically lower cost of entry into the market.

#8 1 year ago
  9. NocturnalB

Hey Dave,
    American fan here, when are you going to start throwing us the occasional video article? I bet you’re a hilarious smart ass on video. Not too many though, i’d hate for this place to turn into IGN where every other article is a damn video, and them people don’t have a fucking funny bone between all of them. Thanks.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@9 Hah :D Well I would like to do more, but time is a factor. If you want to see some videos I’ve made, I do the occasional retro ‘Let’s Play’ on my YouTube :)

I’ll definitely take this into consideration.

#10 1 year ago
  11. NocturnalB

#10 Ha! Seen a couple, i dig it. Many props man, keep em’ comin’.

#11 1 year ago