Lucid Games teases project, PGR5 hopes reignited

Saturday, 4th May 2013 19:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Lucid Games has teased that “mid-May” will be an interesting month for the studio.

According to a post on its Facebook page, (thanks, Gamechup) the studio has some “exciting updates coming,” and the time frame in question will “be interesting for the studio.”

Microsoft is set to reveal its next Xbox console on May 21 – which is as close to mid-May as you can get – so, of course Project Gotham Racing 5 is being speculated by the Internet at large once again.

Plus, Microsoft owns the IP. Stay tuned, we reckon.

Thanks, ecc.

1. Dragon246

I have to say, I really like PGR series, first HD console racer I played, hopefully the new one, if it happens is great too.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SlayerGT

Well this is interesting only if its true AND it is indeed PGR. Because if it is..you can bet Forza 5 won’t be a launch title and probly wouldn’t come out till Oct-ish 2014.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

@Dragon which is your fav? I liked 3, 2 is my fav, aside from the bikes I felt 4 was garbage.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

@SlayerGT
    Strange Sony is in a similar position as MS with GT. With Driveclub And Project Gotham Racing 5 being there at launch instead of more system selling software like Forza and Gran Turismo.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

@Slayer,
    I have to say 3. Actually I would like to expand my previous comment, PGR3 was the first HD console game I ever played. Graphics felt almost surreal for that time. 4 was ok-ish, but didn’t wow me as 3 did.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SlayerGT

@4 Indeed. My prediction, MS puts out a PGR at launch and Forza 5 in fall/winter 14. Sony puts out Drive Club at/near PS4 launch..GT6 on PS3 sometime before Christmas. GT7…2015?? :/ (fingers crossed earlier)

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

@5 I’m with you Dragon about 3. Reminded me why I should get excited about console launches, but not for the graphics..for the sound. I thought the sound effects in 3 were the bees knees. The super charger on the Saleen?? Awesome. 2 was..no, IS (imo) the best arcade racer ever created.

#7 1 year ago
  8. fihar

Couple of months ago, I’d be ecstatic hearing about this. But with Drive Club seemingly providing an alternative for this, there’ll be little reason for me to pick this one up, or the next xbox for that matter.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@8 My feelings also, unfortunately. I’m already tired of MS’s business practices, and on top of that..I just don’t have the time to invest in more than one gaming ecosystem anymore.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Eddie Rodrigues

MS has two racing exclusives? And one isn’t being used since the very start of the gen? I seriously thought PGR4 was only on the XBOX360 since the gap between its launch and PS3′s.

#10 1 year ago
  11. sh4dow

And once again nobody even talks about MSR. Well… personally, I hope I’ll one day see a PGR that has tracks as open as the ones MSR had.

#11 1 year ago
  12. xxJPRACERxx

PGR is my favorite arcade racer because it almost perfectly blend arcade and sim gameplay.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SlayerGT

@12 Yes! But personally I feel 2 did this the best. 3 very well. 4..I feel lost its way. Which is why this news does not excite me. Most of the talent has gone from MS. Ending up at Evolution Studios and Codemasters ironically.

#13 1 year ago
  14. boiled lobster

@11. I miss MSR’s humor, from radio personalities to region-specific advertising to popular music parodies.

#14 1 year ago
  15. fihar

And the fact that MS’ just doesn’t have enough variety in their exclusives.
    We used to have stuffs like Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Crackdown, etc. Now it’s all Forzas, Halos, and Gears of Wars. Where the hell did it go wrong?
    Sure, you get games like Alan Wake and a couple of great XBLA titles every now and then, but compared to what the PS3 has to offer, the 360 simply sucks.

Exactly. It’s challenging without being difficult, and the lack of customization means it’s all about driving skill and not about finding the perfect setup, which translates to me not sucking online.
    They have great soundtracks as well and the only racing game I know of that has the Macau street circuit in it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

@15 “Where the hell did it go wrong?”

Nothing went wrong. Everything went according to MS’s plan. Invest in exclusives early in the 360 life cycle to show the core they mean “games”. Once they have a large base subscribed to their service after a year or two, completely abandon and close half your game studios and begin marketing to the casual at a cheaper cost. Get them hooked with subs and “coast”. Pay for exclusive map packs here and there and rely on 3rd party to move hardware. Its a smart business model. Trick the hardest of core, the early adopters, with promises of great games. Next Gen will be no different. But this time MS has few studios. And their best game, Halo, at last checked on activey charts, was number 6 behind 5 3rd party games. Two of which are COD’s. The other two are sports games. Casual crowds to me. MS should be worried about the hardcore jumping ship. Leaving them with fickle casual fps fans that will no doubt eventually grow tried of fad that is COD. Imo ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. UuBuU

I’m going to disagree with Slayer and say that PGR 4 was amazing ~ an overall improvement on the previous games in the series, with significant additions like weather

#17 1 year ago
  18. nollie4545

Any PGR game after PGR 2 was simply crap.

#18 1 year ago
  19. UuBuU

@18 Take off the nostalgia goggles kiddo ~ there are no valid arguments at all for PGR 2 being better than PGR 4 other than “it was my first so it impressed me more”

#19 1 year ago
  20. SlayerGT

@19 That’s valid. That’s the great thing about video games as experiences. There’s really no “best one”. It comes down to what games you had a personal best experience with. For me, 2 had the best carrer mode lay out, car selection, tracks, balancing, handling, it still looks good believe it or not. Besides the motorcycles 4 loses points with me with the car selection. The tracks I felt were forgettable also. I did like the little bit of customization, but that also ended up being negative for me only because the cars lose their identity once you put crazy designs all over them. Most of this could be considered nitpick, but where I feel 2 is the best and is much better than 4 is in the online. Maybe coincidence or timing, but 2 in the years I played it functioned perfectly and allowed for some the best wheel to wheel racing I’ve ever had. Everytime I played 4 there always seemed to be issues. Lots of lag and such. Going back to personal experiences, you may have never had lag. It just never clicked with me. I wish it had been a motorcycle only game. Having played every motorcycle game I can get my hands on its one of the better experiences , in HD, right before Test Drive Unlimited 1.

#20 1 year ago
  21. vormison

Very excited for this. I’ve loved every PGR since MSR. They are some of the best racing games ever developed in my opinion. Even Blur, while it was definitely much different, was a blast to play. Give us some Geometry Wars teasers as well and I might be sold on MS’ next gen system already.

#21 1 year ago
  22. UuBuU

@20 Hmm ~ I can’t say as I remember there being a problem with car selection in PGR4. Overall there were more vehicles than in PGR2. PGR3 was the worst for selection. I guess if the developers remove even one car model from a previous entry in a racing car series there’s a chance it’ll be someones favorite though. My favorites were in 4, so I was happy.

The tracks were great I thought and weather made them far more replayable. Going around the Nurburgring in snow for instance is a completely different experience.

As far as the general gameplay and car handling goes I really don’t remember PGR4 being that different from the previous games, except for the weather having an impact. Another layer of complexity like that is a good thing in my opinion. It still hit that nice middleground between arcadey fun and sim-style realism.

Multiplayer ~ I had no problems with personally. I can understand how issues with lag etc. can ruin someones experience of a game though.

#22 1 year ago
  23. nollie4545

PGR 2 had the tracks, the cars and the best driving/handling model. Plus racing was close and fast and slick.

Played it to death. None of the sequels came close.

The end.