Wii U Virtual Console: New releases confirmed in handy breakdown trailer

Tuesday, 30th April 2013 09:58 GMT By Nick Akerman

Nintendo’s Wii U Virtual Console launched last week, but if you aren’t quite sure what the game catalogue actually entails, a handy trailer is here to break everything down, and even reveal a bunch of new releases.

The video explains simple things such as how each NES and SNES game can be played on the Wii U GamePad. It also shows players how to create restore points at any time and confirms an extra handful of games for release. The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot the following:

Mega Man
Xevious
Balloon Fight
Super Mario Bros
Super Metroid
Street Fighter II
Pac-Man
Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Of course, don’t take it from me. Check the video out yourself right here:

1. Fin

Few notes on this:

Why would anyone ever pay for Excitebike over Trials Evolution?
    Likewise, who’d get SSFII over SSFIITHDR?

Minor UI point – there shouldn’t be a “Your has been loaded/saved” screen that you have to press a button on. Just adds friction to the user experience.

#1 12 months ago
  2. ps3fanboy

you can run all these games on your pc with an emulator. you can buy an adapter for the game nes/snes pads, and even hook up your pc to your big tv in the living room…. so why would anyone pay for this over priced 30+ old stuff??. only reason i can think of, is that there are some really stupid people out there, that will do it.

#2 12 months ago
  3. OnionPowder

Yeah because off screen play on the Wii U Pad can be done on a simple PC emulator. Plus hooking a PC up to the TV is a viable solution for everybody. That and nobody wants to buy games, everybody just wants to pirate. But buying PS1 downloads on PS3 that’s totally awesome. We should all go buy Sony classics Sony rocks. Sony is perfect and my god because I can’t think much further than the name behind a console. At this point I don’t even play games. I just come home and praise the wonderful god Sony.

#3 12 months ago
  4. elem187

@#2

Are you seriously encouraging people to pirate software on a message board? Why buy any AAA game for PS3/360 when you can mod your xbox/ps3 and download every game for free? Why bother buying any game when you can rent them for free through gamefly right? Why buy last of us, why buy GOW, why buy any of the rehashed Uncharteds or Killzones?

#4 12 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

I am extremly disapointed with how Nintendo handled the VC. In my mind all of the past VC releases should have imediatly transfered from Wii to WiiU with full WiiU features. Ofc I can still play all of my old VC purchases from my Wii on my WiiU. But I can’t use the Gamepad, and I have to launch the “Wii Mode” and fumble around with that stupid WiiMote stuff.

Just a bit of a pain if you ask me. Plus I have no gaurentee that the entire libary will even be released on WiiU. No idea if I can use my TG16 games that I purchased on the gamepad. Plus I wanted Gamecube, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast games…and I don’t think those will be happening at all.

#5 12 months ago
  6. OnionPowder

@5 I feel the same way man. Such a disappointing launch. Not only should the VC have been available day 1, but every game should have been ready day 1. The fact that we’re here 6 months later with a small lackluster lineup is bullshit. Here’s the hoping that they start bringing games by the bucketload ASAP.

#6 12 months ago
  7. elem187

@ 5 and 6, You two obviously know nothing about sales. Nintendo is first and foremost a company that wants to make money. If they dropped their entire library on the VC, most titles would be overlooked. By dropping 5 or so per week, the lesser known titles get further exposure… Why leave money on the table?

#7 12 months ago
  8. Digital Bamboo

@2 Yeah, & I could go buy a modded Wii with every game ever released for $200, or pay someone to mod my PS3 to play burned discs for $50. Doesn’t make it right.

As gaming enthusiasts, shouldn’t we be doing our best to support the medium, rather than looking for ways to hurt it?

Having said that, Nintendo really does need to get a hell of a lot more games going, drop the prices, scrap the transfer fee for those who’ve already bought them, and start thinking of ways to make these VC releases more appealing. Why not have bundles FFS?

#8 12 months ago