No “shitty” sequel for Darksiders, says Nordic boss

Wednesday, 24th April 2013 04:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nordic Games, which successfully bid for the vast majority of remaining THQ properties, may have some new games as soon as this summer – although don’t expect it to crank out a “shitty” Darksiders sequel.

Speaking to GameInformer, Nordic CEO Lars Wingefors said that the publisher had been in discussions with THQ since January, and offered to pay a premium to nab as many lots as it did without having to outbid the competition on individual properties. He said Darksiders, Red Faction and Titan Quest definitely attracted other bids.

The executive seemed refreshingly open, commenting that it simply didn’t have the money to pick up properties like Saints Row, which he said went for $22 million, and saying that Nordic is a middle-man, without the in-house talent to develop the recently-acquired properties the way they deserve.

To that end, the publisher will eventually enter into talks with third-parties; in an earlier report, Wingefors said a top-notch European developer had been in touch regarding Red Faction, and that he’d be interested in talking to Crytek USA, the former Vigil team, about Darksiders.

“We’ll be sitting down, I think, in the next week to discuss all those options. It takes a very long time to make games. You won’t see a new Darksiders this year. I don’t believe in bringing out a shitty sequel,” he said.

That’s not to say that we won’t be seeing some of these properties on sale sooner rather than later.

“I’m sure we can find a solution for at least one of the IPs, or a few of the IPs, this year. Potentially this summer. There will be a lot of discussions at E3, but it’s hard to say. I’m very open minded and flexible. I trust a handshake. I just need to find the right people,” Wingefors said.

“Each IP has its own merits. I do have a deep love for MX vs ATV. I have sold loads through the years, and I know it is a big community. I think that will be less tricky to make a good game with.

“Titan Quest drew a lot of attention in the past 24 hours. There is great love for Titan Quest. I am sure you will see a sequel in the future, but I don’t know when,” he added.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Titan Quest. Please. And be good.

2. Brenna Hillier

@1 amen

3. KrazyKraut

@1 + 2
    ohhh yes. the Grim Dawn folks would be the perfect devs for a new TQ^^

4. Espers

No “shitty” sequel <= sex scenes of 2 skeleton hahahaaaaaaa

5. Vice

Titan Quest?! I haven’t heard that name for literary years and it’s the only Diablo-style game (including Diablo itself) that I could really get into, clearing it on all difficulties. Honestly I have no idea what they going to do with the sequel, since they pretty much covered all myths in first game and it’s xpac, but good luck to them. Definitely a sequel I’d want to see.

6. Hirmetrium

Holy crap, it looks like this is a hidden silver lining of the THQ collapse (after the bitter nugget of Gearbox getting Homeworld).

Theres a number of awesome things Nordic can do:
    - Get original devs back. Sounds like they are already doing this, but get Joe Mad back, flesh out all the Darksiders characters, and make a super awesome 4 player RPG game concept. This NEEDS TO HAPPEN.
    - Get some long desired sequels out. Titan quest could do with a high quality follow up, and a return to red faction guerrilla would be fantastic (open world devastation!)

I look forward to what Nordic games can do, and supporting them in future.

7. theevilaires

Never even heard of Nordic but Darksiders is a good IP and they must have paid a pretty penny for it. They better not fuck it up. I want two separate campaigns in Darksiders 3, a 1 player campaign then a 4 player co-op campaign with all the horsemen fighting alongside each other.

Make it a next gen title.

8. DSB

@1 You’ve seen Grim Dawn right? Horror ARPG built on a modified version of the TQ engine. Looks very familiar.

9. freedoms_stain

@7, actually they only paid a total of $4.9 million for the massive list of IP’s they gained.

10. monkeygourmet

Main problems for me were awful graphics and tech issues…

Terrible screen tear and framerate made it almost unplayable. If they can sort that out, great! :)

11. SupaKupaKang

Would Love a HD Remix Of The Original Red Faction For PSN & XBLA, & If They were Going to make a New Game I Would Like It to Be a FPS Which Would be Heavily Inspired by the Themes of the first 2 Red Faction Games