Xbox Live outage wasn’t caused by a hack, says Microsoft

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 09:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has stated that the run of Xbox Live downtime that occurred over the weekend was the result of an error during maintenance of the service, not an attack by hackers.

The outage made Xbox Live inaccessible in many regions across the world on Saturday night. It lasted a few hours depending on where you were at the time.

Now, a Microsoft rep has said to Videogamer that the outage was caused by “networking misconfiguration during routine maintenance”, and that it was “in no way related to false claims of hacking the service.”

It comes as the debate regarding always-online consoles rages on, fuelled by claims that Microsoft’s Xbox successor will require a net connection to function, something that prompted the company’s former executive producer Adam Orth a lot of trouble over Twitter.

Thanks Woe.

1. KAP

No, cause that’s impossible right.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mojo

what? it got hacked?

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

Thank god Xbox 360 isn’t an always online system, otherwise no Xbox could even function or run games during the outage.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Joe Musashi

I wasn’t aware of anyone accusing the outage of being caused by a hack. I hadn’t considered it until Microsoft denied it. Now I’m curious.

JM

#4 1 year ago
  5. tmac2011

everyone assumes it was being hacked lol

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

yeah right micro$oft, you are well known for living in denial. here’s a few reminders…

1.rrod (6 years in denial and still are, even if its cause is well documented. ms used rushed, cheap and not tested hw to get release before sony. while putting the cost on the customers.)

2.disc scratching (6 years in denial and still are, buyed cheap dvd drives with lacking bumping pads)

3.xboxlive pay for online gaming(6 years in denial and still are, have costly online gaming that is not better than other that is free. claiming to be better but offer nothing but ads to their paying customers)

4. xboxlive accounts and services have been hacked in 2010,11,12.(ms deny everything and still are, even after xboxlive customers have gone youtube about it and it have been reported in the news)

all this is facts and easily googled if anyone want to dig deeper…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Christopher Jack

@6, 2 out of my 4 Xbox 360s had that disc scratching error & those scratches weren’t covered by any retailer warranties, I could have probably chased MS for it but luckily it only scratched games I couldn’t care less about, I of course got the machines replaced when I ran into that error before risking a game I actually liked.

Lately the only console I’ve been playing on is my PS2 for some good ol’ DBZ Tenkaichi :)
    Sold my PS3 a while back because the only good exclusive game (in my opinion) that I could see for it was the Last of Us. Still have my Xbox 360 but mainly because if I were to sell it I’d get fuck all cash so may as well keep it for the odd Halo session.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Samoan Spider

@6 And obvious troll is obvious. Just to counter balance your point -> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sony+hacks&aq=f&oq=sony+hacks&aqs=chrome.0.57j60j0l3j60.1115j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hcw87

Probably because of this:

Just a few kids having fun. Those ”Proofs” in the description can be debunked in less than a minute.

Supposed hacked Microsoft twitter account: http://gyazo.com/7596f8340505c0722bacb6f82d7d642d

Original tweet: https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/322841547911618563

Try harder.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

@8 sony is honest and have said they been hacked, even in public..

heres some evidence of xbox user got hacked..

and there is plenty more of this out there…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@11 I’m not denying that, but even Sony took a while to come clean about the lulzsec attacks. As for the Live hacks, that wasn’t someone using a botnet to brute force MS servers. This was people using personal information to hijack your account. That personal information comes from other website hacks generally. There’s even websites where you can buy and sell stolen personal information. I’ll find the write up in a bit about it, but I know that a reporter from Wired or Ars or maybe both recently got pissed off and tracked down one of these account hackers.

Edit: Here -> https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/03/the-world-has-no-room-for-cowards/

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

That’s the ”Fifa” hack. I was a victim myself.

Used the same password on EA’s services and Xbox Live, so i’m sure someone got access to EA’s servers somehow.

Also there’s a huge difference in ”a few” users getting hacked, compared to the shitstorm Sony went through, so they had to shut off their service for _MONTHS_.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Deacon

_MONTHS_

lol… calm down dear. 3 weeks wasn’t it?

And sure, everyone knows about the 360 phishing and account hijacking. Just be nice for MS to take some fucking responsibility for once in a while – even if it isn’t their fault. If they weren’t too busy trying to wring every last cent out of your wallet they might actually release a statement highlighting susceptible websites or sources for all the hacked accounts. But no. Never. Not a peep. They could at least make it SEEM like they give a shit.

Oh noes. The largest internet attack to-date left PSN servers down for a few weeks. Nobody came to any harm through it and no fucker lost any money.

XBL could be a victim in much the same way. Any fucking day of the week. Of course, because they rinse people just to use their own internet connection, they’d have to have it back up within a day, so before we knew what had happened it would be back online, obviously! No info RE what happened. It’s none of OUR business.

#13 1 year ago