Remember Me dev wanted to “respect” gamers with a strong female protagonist

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 05:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dontnod didn’t set out to push gender politics with Remember Me, instead designing its sensibly dressed, butt-kicking protagonist Nilin for grown up gamers.

Creative director Jean-Maxime Moris told Shack News that Dontnod worked hard to resist the temptation to make Nilin over-sexualised – think Bayonetta for an extreme example – or ineffective.

“You have to avoid the pitfalls of making her just a damsel in distress or a sex bomb, because this is what you think would appeal most to the hordes of men that constitute your fan base,” he said.

“But if you respect your public, then you refuse to dumb your work down, and eventually it pays back because what you do is different. But I’m not saying we’re the only ones. I’m quite happy to see that more and more games feature female protagonists.”

That said, Dontnod wasn’t consciously trying to push the envelope.

“We didn’t think of gender equality being a major theme in the game, but thinking back on the world we designed, it is true that women have key positions in its governance,” Moris acknowledged.

“In 2013, we have a long way to go in terms of gender equality, so take this as a subconscious militant act.”

Remember Me is due on June 4 in North American and June 7 in Europe.

1. ojinnvoltz

thanks for respecting the public, but you’ll only get my respect when you have an intersex gender neutral protagonist. that reminds me… note to self: kickstart an It’s Pat schmup.

2. macronia

i don’t understand what is the problem with female protagonist in any game ? .. i don’t see a difference between genders in games .

3. HaMmOdY

Bayonetta is a strong female protagonist and she kicks New Dante’s ass….

Why do people care if it’s a male or female?! It’s not like it represents you!

4. FeaturePreacher

Wish they thought of interesting combos before doing a character that’ll be remembered for being exceptionally bland. Hate her or love her, you certainly can’t forget Bayonetta.

5. HaMmOdY

What made Bayonetta awesome was the English accent. I don’t want to imagine her in an American accent, no offense !

6. RPRezo

The longer I hear about Remember Me, the more I fear that this game will be quite mediocre at best. Too much time spent discussing female protagonist and no-guns policy, while trying to say that this makes RM something unique and awesome by itself.

Well, not really. I’m starting to think that creators were dishonest to us when they said that other publishers were drown away by project’s female protagonist. I find it more believable, that publishers said something like “Your game doesn’t look all that good. But if we change protagonist to something more trendy – maybe than it will be successful enough to cover the expenses”.

Will be great to be wrong, but…

7. TheFrench

it’s a French game, vive la France !

8. anobei

9. roadkill

And yet she’s wearing high heels.. Yup. That’s showing a lot of respect for women..

10. YoungZer0

@9: And she has fingernails longer than Raidens and total model-proportions. These fuckers need to stop patting themselves on the back, they aren’t delivering anything interesting here.

11. sh4dow

FFS! All this emphasis on the protagonist being female makes me DISLIKE that choice. It’s alright when people don’t make a fuss about it. Because you know… she’s fucking human! So what if “it” (if one was to consider the “basic human entity” as genderless) has boobs and a vagina?!
    But when they act like it would be some fucking breakthrough… give me a break!

12. roadkill

@10 and 11 I think it’s because there’s this trend now when everyone’s being a mantool. It’s all marketing really.

13. TheWulf

It’s a good step. I remember how pleased I was when I saw Shepard in a dress in Mass Effect 2 and it dawned on me that she wasn’t just a twig, the model designers actually made her all toned and buff. Which is perfectly fitting for a lady who does all the things that Shepard does.

This lady is a little twiggy for my tastess, but she’s still more toned than I’d been expecting, so that’s a good thing. Now, if we could only move onto more frequent minority ethnicity protagonists of both genders, and even protagonists who’re portly, then we’ll start seeing the kind of equal representation in games that every other medium has enjoyed since the late ’70s. That’d be nice.

Gaming still has a long way to go in regards to proper portrayal of people as a whole. Still, if you want to do women, look at the good lady Shepard in Mass Effect 2. That is how proper portrayal of women is done. (And try to completely ignore Miranda at the same time.)

14. salarta

@3: Bayonetta was great, but at the same time, she’s a bit of a caricature. She’s more or less hyper-sexual but uses that as a form of power, which may be a change of pace, but it also reinforces the idea of women primarily valued for their sex appeal or being sexually appealing needing to be one of the most important parts of their identity. That said, right now I can think of only Chell as a good female protagonist this generation, and Bayonetta comes just below her since all the formerly strong female protagonists of past generations have had their strength ripped away from them by new teams.

15. YoungZer0

@13:

“that every other medium has enjoyed since the late ’70s.”

Except that didn’t happen. Please show me a hollywood film with an asian actor playing the main role. They can’t even get an asian to play the bad guy in Iron Man 3.

And you mean this female Shepard:

“And try to completely ignore Miranda at the same time.”

And Ashley, and Liara, (Both of them seemed to have received breast implants in the sequels) and Samara, … and EDI.

@14: Chell is the only good female character? That’s weird, last time I checked, she has no character.

16. zinc

Ah, you boys having another srs chat about female representation in videogames again eh?

Reminds me of the parable about 3 blind men trying to describe an elephant. Plz continue.

17. RPRezo

@13: What are you talking about? Fem-Shep in Mass Effect didn’t even have her own animation, always moving like a man… or as any thing with man’s proportions, but not like she should have moved.

She was awesome and I think she was much better than Male-Shep, but she still was an afterthought.

18. salarta

@15: Which sadly says a lot about the poor treatment of female characters in video games this generation, considering Chell is more or less a blank slate vessel for the player above all else. Hopefully Remember Me reverses the trend of making women look like they’re inherently inferior to men.