Xbox 720 has an x86 AMD processor, no backwards compatibility – rumour

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 00:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Another source has popped up with support for rumours that Microsoft’s next consoles, codenamed Durango and nicknamed Xbox 720, will use a PC-like architecture.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard that the next Xbox, like the PlayStation 4, will use a PC-like AMD processor at its heart. The source this time is “people with knowledge of the matter” speaking with Bloomberg.

The publication’s sources claim that the move to a more PC-like architecture is designed to reduce the costs of hardware manufacturing and increase ease of development.

As noted by previous rumours, Bloomberg’s whisperers said the x86 AMD processor combines multiple Jaguar CPUs with GPUs.

Because it’s a very different technology to the IBM Poer PC chips used in the Xbox 360, there will be no backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 game discs, the site said.

We’re expecting the new Xbox to be revealed in late May. We’re not sure what strategy Microsoft will take yet, of cours,e but it did recently announce its intention to throw everything at Xbox as a media platform.

Thanks, woe.

1. Erthazus

I need to stop calling them consoles.

PC4, PCBox 720

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

You buy this always on DRM box.. They’re all gonna laugh at you! They’re all gonna laugh at you!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Clupula

@2 – Plug it up! Plug it up!

#3 1 year ago
  4. silkvg247

“Because we can release our 360 games on the MS store, where they magically all of a sudden WILL work on your 720, there will be no backwards compatibility. Your disc won’t work but the digital version you throw more money at will. Thanks for buying your games twice.”

Reasons to buy a 720 so far? Currently at minus 2 and falling.

Man.. imagine if PC’s couldn’t play your previous games every time you upgraded. *Hugs her PC* I love you sooo much.. mwah mwah sexy PC kisses.

#4 1 year ago
  5. actuallyisnotafox

the problem with announcing your console first is that you also provide a lot of hype for your competition. to me at least and im sure others will agree, its going to be a ps4 v 720 competition, and with the ps4 already announced were only more interested to see whats next for xbox. and i think already the 720 has its fair share of rumors more than the ps4 had :p

#5 1 year ago
  6. silkvg247

Yes but they are all BAD rumours.. :p

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

I wouldn’t call them all bad rumours though. Not sure which rumours you are referring to, but always online doesn’t have to be bad. I only consider it a bad thing if it won’t let you play games without a internet connection and that still remains to be seen. That is the only thing i worry about a little, all else…meh.

#7 1 year ago
  8. theevilaires

So they’re copying PS4 oh ok not surprised.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Moonwalker1982

Right….cause Sony would never do such a thing…am i right? :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps3fanboy

as i see it microsoft is outta the game, they don’t know jack shit what they are doing anymore. if your are a gamer you have only one choice this gen and that is sonys playstation4. sony know what a gaming system are and what gamers want.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

I can’t see anything to get excited and to shout about on the new gen Xbox… Halo’s pretty much dry. Gears of War is also dry and most other interesting stuff is cross platform. Seems games come in the third place at Microsoft. Not only that integrated Kinnect and the forced subs to play online… They are also gonna go for always on drm and no support for used games. Microsoft are finished.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Telepathic.Geometry

“…will take yet, of COURSE but…”

#12 1 year ago
  13. mkotechno

Still no info about the DDR5 vs DDR3 war… seems Sony do their homeworks and now MS is running in circles while the time to release is closer.

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

Heres how I see it. SONY will win back the American traitors who defected to the 360 this gen because they were too cheap to buy a PS3. Microsoft will never have Europe or Japan or even South America for that fact. They can’t beat SONY on a 1st party front they know that so they have to really pull a rabbit out their ass at E3. Cross game chat is already confirmed on PS4 and Plus kicks Live ass any day/month of the year.

They can’t risk going more powerful than the PS4 because SONY did that with the PS3 and third party devs didn’t care they just made games equal as possible. So what can Microsoft do to gain the upper hand against SONY next gen? That is the question.

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

The problem there, tea, is the social aspect.

I personally would have no problem with the PS4 as my main console, but I can’t really do that without half of my friends list.

If everybody changed, I would change, so for me, it’s Sony who have it all to do to convince the people that I play with that we should all play on PS4.

E3 should be huge this year…

#15 1 year ago
  16. melonbuster1

Your pc is online all the time yes? ? Your cable box isoonline all the time yes? Hell even my hdtv is online all the time. Like my phone and my tablets. So what’s the big deal? I don’t get all the bullshit about always online. Play old games? ? Fuck t hat I got my shiny new system for new games

#16 1 year ago
  17. Christopher Jack

@16, Try imaging it from the perspective of someone living in a rural area.

Of course your comment is so short sighted that I doubt that you can.

#17 1 year ago
  18. mojo

16: the problem is that the device is nonfunctional should ms decide to cease support for the hardware when its EOL.

but whatever, i have a feeling that MS goes to US centric with the next xbox. most people in other countries either cant participate in alot of things 360 (i.e. IP blocking) or just dont care.
    or like the rumored cable functionality… What MS (possibly) tries to solve with that is not even a problem anywhere else.

also xbox Live. it has significantly less value in almost all areas that are not NA.

subscription based model like with cell phones?
    How about no?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Andrew C.

Hey, you, yes, you, the guy who takes decisions regarding (backward)compatibility and shit, You’re an IDIOT, yeah, YOU!

@4: Good point.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Cobra951

@7: Yes, being forced online, and having your equipment become a brick if you’re not, is ALWAYS bad. BAD. Never good. We already have all the GOOD things possible from being online with the PS3 and the Xbox 360. We can CHOOSE to be online, download and update whatever we want, and play online. We can also play offline, for whatever reason. It’s called FREEDOM. It’s our choice.

Bottom line: being forced online gives us nothing we don’t already have, and TAKES AWAY a hell of a lot. So, it can’t be a good thing, ever.

#20 1 year ago
  21. GwynbleiddiuM

@melonbuster1 Yes, it’s always on, but it doesn’t need to be for every game I play. Only MMOs and MP titles require you to be on, which is the whole purpose of them, being online. It’s like FIFA 13, it’s fucking retarded that you can’t earn Coins/XP while you’re offline/disconnected from EA Sports. And just because I live in a country that has shitty infrastructure and internet services my gameplay experience is often unpleasant. Of course my country doesn’t count as a profitable market, especially with all these trade sanctions that are going on, but it is bullshit nonetheless.

#21 1 year ago
  22. melonbuster1

If its true then its made for me and not you . News flash I don’t care if you get it or not. I will have both. So I can careless . So I don’t get all tears . Just don’t buy it. Show Microsoft your power. Choose Sony. Or steam or nothing but I can careless what you do. Because at the end of the day my money my enjoyment! . Don’t care for the dumbass Indies either

#22 1 year ago
  23. Samoan Spider

@4 Agreed, and I also hugged my pc a little at this news. Manly hugs though. No kisses. Just, quick squeeze and break. Nothing lingering :P

Anyway, on topic, I understand the reasons Sony has for not having BC after coming from cell to an x86 instruction set. But I’m certain something could’ve been done by MS. I’m no expert, but cost must’ve been the deciding factor, not the tech. Lets see if they redeem themselves in this respect through some other means much like Sony and Gaikai.

#23 1 year ago
  24. silkvg247

@23 I think Sony are just as bad if they don’t do backwards compat. It’s just emulation, there are honestly no actual excuses other than the obvious fact they can make more money out of people later in the console life when they bring their older games out on the store.

I don’t mind so much when the re-released versions have additions or are made HD.. because that’s no different to upgrading my dvd collection to blu-ray. But when it’s the exact game I get angry – why can’t I just put the disc in that I own, hmm?

@16 My PC is always online because I opt to make it so. My PC will work offline if needed. Despite what your clear bias and fanboy-ism is screaming in your ear, any big corporation trying to force any condition like this on the mass public is bad, mmkay? Thankfully we can vote with our feet.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ps4some

@24 I think you underestimate how hard emulation is. Trust me, if it was easy sony would do it in a shot as it will lose them some customers early on.

#25 1 year ago
  26. CyberMarco

I wonder why consoles didn’t try to have a more PC-like architecture before. I would be a win-win situation for everyone.

#26 1 year ago
  27. ps3fanboy

Latest news about XBOX Durango fiasco reaches boiling point.

#27 1 year ago
  28. silkvg247

@25 Yes and no. I’ve never tried it, but one would assume that if random folks across the internet are able to do it (loads of nifty emus out there right now) then certainly the people who know the console inside out can. Call me a cynic but I wouldn’t be surprised if the console can do it, and it’s locked to digital purchases only (a fact that the customer is oblivious to).

#28 1 year ago
  29. silkvg247

My biggest frustration with BWC is that there should be at least an option to buy a version of the console that does support it. I’d pay the extra because of the convenience. I’d go up to £100 more in fact.. I mean a PS4 that can also play ps1, 2 and 3 games? Definitely a “shut up and take my money” scenario.

As it stands now I would buy neither console, very happy with PC, don’t want yet another console in the living room. Sadly I won’t have any choice over the PS4 as I live with a raging Sony fangirl.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DrDamn

In this case the convoluted architecture of the PS3 would have had a big impact. Emulation of other hardware does need a very significant speed bump in emulating hardware. Also consider variation in things like clock speed of processors and it becomes a lot trickier – this could be a factor in the new Xbox not having this feature too.

There is also a big difference between a nifty emulator and a commercial product which does the same thing as a feature of a new console. A lot of faults and incompatibilities are acceptably in the former but not in the latter.

Like you I’d certainly consider an higher hardware fee to continue playing my older PSN titles if they included some of the core PS3 chips into it. I have quite a collection with PS+. I don’t have a huge problem keeping my PS3 going for a while though either.

#30 1 year ago
  31. ps3fanboy

consider yourself lucky that you have a sony fangirl… to put your head straight, because microsofts xbox is done.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Samoan Spider

@31 I am shocked by some of the rumours flying about at the moment, but I promise you one thing and that is, no matter what we say here about what they decide to do, a metric fuck-ton of people will buy MS’ system. And don’t discount Sony doing something stupid at the final hurdle either. I’m hoping for 2 excellent systems though and will wait and see. But Sony not getting the PS4 into Europe before next year could cost them up to 6 months on the offering from MS which in this current financial climate, is a huge gamble.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Christopher Jack

Also, I hope their rumoured subscription system doesn’t do well, it doesn’t deserve to, at least not at those rumoured prices.

#33 1 year ago
  34. OlderGamer

New day, same old shit.

#34 1 year ago
  35. ps3fanboy

the world is bigger than usa you know, and yes it is well known fact by now that most of the usa customers are dumb. to much mcdonalds and mountain dew have rot their brains, i guess. so they will fall for the micro$oft trickery yet again. but the rest of the world will not, sony is just doing everything right with the ps4 this time.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DSB

@32 The PS4 had the exact same rumors being thrown around, and that was obviously bogus.

There’s no way Microsoft would risk their brand by making it always online. If they do, they’re dumber than even I would give them credit for, and that’s saying something (this is the company responsible for the Zune, the Surface and a touchscreen OS for PC).

It wouldn’t be much more than a week until their hundreds of thousands of customers in areas with poor internet coverage would be spreading the news that Microsofts new product “don’t work so good”. That’s fewer sales in America, and fewer sales in Europe guaranteed.

I don’t see them wanting to take that hit just to please publishers.

#36 1 year ago
  37. silkvg247

@31 I wouldn’t be getting a failbox in either case. I’m part of the PC master race you know. *snorts*

#37 1 year ago
  38. ps3fanboy

you know what sony did when they was confronted with rumors. they did come out and said “ps4 will not have always on drm”.

with microsoft there was an employ, that started talking. instead of being concerned about the claim the employ did come with. it was more important for microsoft, to put weight on that this employ didn’t word himself correctly. instead of doing the correct thing as sony and say this was not correct. after this fiasco microsoft continue to keep quit and more and more trusted sources are popping up and confirming it.

so in a serious matter like this microsoft should do a statement about it and say they don’t have always on drm. since they dont its pretty given that they are going for always on drm.

why they do this i guess when they got away with forcing people to pay to play online then stick ads in their face(that is free and ad fre on everything else) they dont see why they cant get away with tricking these people buying the always on drm to. that is how a greedy company thinks, and they will probably also have usa this time around too, so profits will be made. but europe and the rest of the world they will not have and they dont care.

#38 1 year ago
  39. ps3fanboy

good luck with games that will not use the powers of your pc, but you need to upgrade because the games code are not optimized.

and good luck with windows live for games,origin,uplay and steam online drm… all I can say is be sure to pay your isp bills or not it will be game over.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Samoan Spider

@35 Yeah, hopefully these companies realise that Europe is just as big a market as the US and give it good focus. To balance things though, Sony have actually had an announcement and a reveal, MS haven’t, so at this point in time its all conjecture.

Edit: @39 well thankfully all those digital distribution systems have offline modes still

#40 1 year ago
  41. ps3fanboy

@40 the problem is that you actually must log into these digital distribution clients, and set it to offline mode before you play offline. you can also not play these games without these digital distribution clients installed on your system. two big fail there… but there is always piratebay or gog where you can get these games without all this drm crap. so there is still hope for pc gaming.

#41 1 year ago
  42. DSB

@38 Nope, Sony did not respond.

The rumor started January 3rd, Sony didn’t respond until February 20th, at the reveal.

But arguably Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot by putting their reveal so far back. Everybody knows it’s coming, so there’s really no surprise, and then they’re using that non-reveal as an excuse not to answer questions, which is just doubly stupid.

Whatever amount of hype they still have left wouldn’t be ruined by letting their PR protect their brand, but that’s corporate logic for you.

#42 1 year ago
  43. melonbuster1

So sony fanboy buy a Ps4. I’m buying one and the next Xbox720! To sit along side my ps3 and my 360 and my Wiiu. So don’t buy it. They aren’t targeting you.you aren’t the type of customer who would benefit from it. Being poor and all. It cost $500 plus you need online and then xbox live then a game plus controller s .hell that’s not for you.but me well I won’t feel a pinch at all .. so see you on Ps4 plus or what ever they will call it. But hey you won’t have that either because it will be $500 with a online and a game plus the service and a controller. Lmao

#43 1 year ago