PS4 title from Level-5 currently “in the planning stages”

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 17:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Level-5 is developing a new title for PS4, according to company boss Akihiro Hino.

Speaking in an interview with Nikkei Trendy, via Gematsu, Hino said the title was still “in the planning stages,” and the team may be able to “announce it soon.”

He also feels PS4 games will need to be about more than just shiny graphics.

“PlayStation 4 is next-gen hardware built with the network in mind, so more than graphics performance and specs, we need to think about communication—how to use the network features,” he said.

Hino also feels that while the Vita price cut in Japan was a good move by Sony, in order for more consumers to buy it, the handheld needs more strategic titles.

He didn’t stop there either: he also revealed that Fantasy Life has shipped close to 300,000 units and an Android and iOS release is being considered for the Guild series.

1. polygem

i must admit this: i started to play ni no kuni and i adore this game BUT somehow i am always having a problem to finish jrpg´s on a home console. to me they belong on a handheld. i would LOVE a ni no kuni port for the vita. please make this happen! would be great with the touchpad and all for spells etc.

that said, great news – you know – this time, with ps4, i can stream it to the vita if i want too.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Zana

They are probably researching how to make it as boring as possible… But it should be damn pretty.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Djoenz

For me personally JRPG’s really shined on PSX and PS2 so to me they belong on Sony consoles. I despise handhelds tbh and I wont buy a tablet :P

I have to admit Im bummed that there are such cool games on PSP/Vita like Type0 to name one and cant stream it to my PS3 or CrossBuy and CrossPlay PSP/Vita titles on my PS3. Not sure if its already possible but not the games I want.

I guess PS4 will do then. Anyway I will buy Ni No Kuni one day just to slap JRPG HATERS in the face! (also SE for their FFXIII bullshit universe thats trying to cater more to the western audience)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

@2 – As boring as possible? You mean they’re going to make it a first person shooter?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

@3 – So, you’re a huge JRPG fan blah blah, but you didn’t day one Ni No Kuni? Can’t be that big of a fan, then.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

@Clupula

Where did I say that Im a huge JRPG fan? I havent played a single JRPG this entire gen tbh.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lewis247

I would like it if Level-5 just released more games in English! Ni No Kuni so far has been amazing I will admit.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

Hopefully more along the lines of Ni No Kuni and less along the lines of White Knight Chronicles. Loved NNK. 60 odd hours on the clock at the ending. First RPG I’ve invested so much time in for ages and reminded me what I loved about JRPGs.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

@6 – Then, considering how many awesome JRPGs there are on PS3 at the moment, your statement makes even less sense. JRPG’s belong on Sony consoles and you’re upset you can play certain ones on the Vita…BUT you haven’t bought a single one on the PS3…because…?!?

#9 1 year ago
  10. yeoung

Loved Ni No Kuni, in fact I’m still loving it 80+ hours in. Hope their PS4 release will be somewhat of a mix between NNK and Rogue Galaxy.

Rogue Galaxy is still their best game to me.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

Dragon Quest VIII is their best game, to me.

Didn’t like Rogue Galaxy, actually. Felt it started off strong, but fell apart, the deeper into the story you went.

#11 1 year ago
  12. yeoung

No doubt Dragon Quest VIII was a solid game, but my preference for Rogue Galaxy is largely due to the amazing combat system that balances between turn-based and real-time. So far I have yet to come across a game that allows players to allows for so many different non-scripted approaches in-combat.

Admittedly, the story (overall narrative, really) takes a bit of a nosedive in the end, but the sheer amount of gameplay options redeem it, in my opinion.

Regardless, I think we can all agree level-5 working on a PS4 title is good news.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Djoenz

@Clupula

That was my personal opinion. If you dont agree so be it. Dont take my words out of context and read better.

So far none has interested me except Ni No Kuni :)

BTW I loved Rogue Galaxy to death!!!

I wanted Versus as I used to be a major FF fan. SE has disappointed me.

I explicitly used the words “FOR ME PERSONALLY” and “TO ME”.

I should try NIER one day and all the other JRPG’s that came out thats up to me.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

@13 – Where am I disagreeing with your opinion? I’m just trying to figure out what your opinion actually is. I prefer JRPG’s on console too. That’s why so much of my PS3 collection are JRPG’s.

Which is why I am still trying to figure out what exactly is going on with you. You say you want to metaphorically slap JRPG-haters in the face but then get defensive when I said you were a fan of the genre, which would imply you’re not a fan of the genre. But you implied you were, but yet you haven’t bought any of the genre for the console it is most prominent on.

Do you see why I’m confused?

#14 1 year ago
  15. Djoenz

Oh haha Im sorry man. I just felt like you were putting words in my mouth.
    My apologies.

I love(d) JRPG’s man, but for some reason SE disappointed me so much in not releasing Versus that I found myself not having played a single JRPG this gen so far.

Japan was awfully focused on catering to the West and then suddenly Ni No Kuni hanging on to its roots comes along and sweeps everyone of their feet.

It made me happy its so well received by everyone. Only reason I havent bought it yet is because I already spent money on Tomb Raider and PSN etc. irl purchases and the fact that this year will be amazing for gamers I feel like holding on to my money for the time being.

I will definitely buy it though and Nier. I know some JRPG fanatics so can give me tips etc.

Oh I did play one tbh I completely forgot The Last Hope International. I was at the last stage but for some reason lost interest and didnt finish it. lol.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

I’d also recommend you try out Tales of Graces F, Resonance of Fate, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and the Atelier series.

I’d also recommend giving a shot to the Yakuza series, since, except for Dead Souls, they’re pretty much RPG’s, down to the random battles. The only difference is that instead of turn-based battles, they’re combo based fighting. But otherwise, they’re JRPG’s. There’s towns, sidequests, items, mazes, leveling up, random battles, etc…

#16 1 year ago