Xbox 720 May 21st reveal: more sources back up date – rumour

Monday, 8th April 2013 14:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 is rumoured to be announced at a Microsoft event on May 21st. Following claims from tech blogger Paul Thurrott, sources close the matter have said the same thing to tech site The Verge.

We covered Thurrott’s claims here. I’d suggest reading them as they seem to shed light on many mysteries surrounding Microsoft’s rig, including price windows and more.

Now, The Verge’s Tom Warren has written, “Microsoft had originally been planning to unveil its next-generation Xbox details at an event in April, but The Verge has learned that the company has pushed this back to May.

“Windows watcher Paul Thurrott revealed recently that Microsoft is planning an Xbox event for May 21st, and we understand this date is accurate. This is the tentative date for a next-generation Xbox announcement, but Microsoft had originally planned an April 24th event.

“Sources familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans have revealed that the event will be at a small venue with a focus on providing the very first details on the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, and Microsoft’s plans for Xbox in 2013.”

What do you think? Is the May 21st date more likely? What would you like Microsoft to show along with the reveal? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. orakaa

I want Microsoft to reveal (if they will have) a mandatory Internet connection to play games, blocked second-hand games, $500 for their console (bundled with Kinect). And if that’s the case, I hope it fails.

I don’t particularly like Microsoft and I don’t really want them to massively bomb… but if things get going the way they do, we’ll get LESS products (only a time-limited using licence for $60-70 games) for MORE money given (“unfair” DLC, broken mechanics to force players to pay micro-transactions to continue, etc.).

So even if I don’t hold any major grudge against Microsoft, I hope, if they go this way, that they will fail, so that we don’t arrive to this kind of future (paragraph above). Giving more alternatives is good. Restricting access and use of products you buy… no. And if games are too expensive to produce… well, maybe we should come back to less expensive games, less AAA games. Sure everyone loves to play Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Gears of Wars, etc. But if they cost so much to produce and are not viable at all (if that’s the case), then it would be better to have more “modest” games, that would cost less to make rather than have major companies like Square Enix go bankrupt (I’m not saying they are going bankrupt but if they can’t get profit, in the long run, this is what will happen)

2. Moonwalker1982

I used to be really excited for when MS was finally going to unveil the next Xbox, but the rumours of late and things Paul Thurott said aren’t really things to get excited about really. The price of the thing doesn’t matter to me, if it’s powerful enough and has great launch games? Fine with that.

However i do not like mandatory stuff. What Paul said about a constant internet connection required, i don’t like the sound of that. Don’t get me wrong, when i’m gaming i’m always online anyway but it’s the idea of having a useless system when my ISP is giving me shit that irks me. It simply should not be the case that if i’m playing a singleplayer game like Bioshock Infinite or whatsoever, that it simply stops working when my internet connection goes offline for a second or longer.

I could be wrong, but we as gamers are the early adopters of these systems and Sony and MS know that damn well. Internet connection requirement will render the console useless for anyone without internet and these sure ain’t selling points. Neither is Kinect 2.0 and all that stuff. MS is really going to have to bring the big guns in May and at E3 to show to the people that made their Xbox and Xbox 360 big, US….that it’s very worth to buy their new system.

3. Erthazus

Microsoft will introduce Xbox glasses.

4. zinc

I think it’s fair to say that no-one is excited by this news, but they are nervous.

It’s like we’re all holding our breath, waiting for something bad to happen :-/

5. Erthazus

No one is excited because really, consoles can’t offer something new next generation.
    So far by Wiki “the free-to-play model as key issues to be addressed by 8th generation consoles” (c) Wikipedia. Which is already on the PC and other formats for 20+ years.

this is probably the last gen and it will be with underpowered AMD POS on both systems with Kitchen Sink from WiiU.

6. Fin

dont forget shitty POS sub-hd 30fps graphics bro

7. tmac2011

ill watch it to see if they reveal the whole console or just wait. for e3 , it wont be to far off. ithnik theyll show the controller and maybe a few games to excite fans. i doub they want sony to steal the show at e3 with their console. if internet is always on im not getting the next xbox, what if my internet is screwed up and i cant play any games… sorry microsoft i hope this rumor isnt true..

8. OmegaSlayer

I would laugh if Sony throws out there a big amount of new infos about the PS3 one day before MS conference LOL
    That would be an insane strategy.

9. Gadzooks!

In May we’re likely to see how the Nextbox makes that standard seem archaic.

Looking forward to some innovation. All this catching up by Sony has been extremely underwhelming.

10. Erthazus

“Sony with the PS4 has finally brought their offerings up to the standard set 7 years ago by MS with the 360.”

That was some classic Xbot trolling. Congratulations.

11. Gadzooks!

#10

Fact. Dev tools, architecture, network service and developer relations have only just caught up.

Go talk about screen resolutions somewhere else, oh shallow one.

12. fearmonkey

@9 “Looking forward to some innovation.”

Online required, cannot play used games, forces Kinect down your throat, focused on media rather than games, underpowered compared to Ps4, gimmicky glasses, constant advertisements on a service we pay for……

yep, thats some great innovation right there…I am just overwhelmed….

13. Gadzooks!

#12

So rumour is fact, is it?

I’m somewhat overwhelmed by your assumption and ignorance.

14. fearmonkey

lol…..

I have been an xbox brand fan since it launched in 2001, and Ive slowly watched MS go from being the cool kid on the block to the hipster emo guy nobody can stand..

I realize its all rumor, but coming from many sources with the same info, and really I wouldn’t be surprised if its all true. MS has lost it, they have a whole new team of people that wasn’t there at the beginning, and don’t remember what made the xbox attractive in the first place.

MS is like your parents now, we know whats best for you, so just dont fight us…trust us…

Screw that…Ill stick with Steam and possibly get a PS4 (and I dont own a PS3) all I want is a controller and a powerful gaming box. I would bet thats all most want too.

15. OlderGamer

Too early to know everything for sure, ofc.

But Fearmonkey +1

At least in notion. E3 is going to be HUGE. But I can feel the changes in the wind.

16. Gadzooks!

There’s no point conversing with closed minds.

Assume all you want. I’ll wait for facts before making judgement.

17. OlderGamer

I agree Gad, there really isn’t much of a point in any of this. Untill VG247 can print the words “MS said” much of it is hersay.

And I think the things we don’t know far eclispes the things we do know. But some of these things are points of concern, to say the lest.

People are into a few disctinct groups.

People that want company A or B to fail

People that want company A or B to “win”

People that just want the best experience for their money.

Most people are in group three. But group three includes a lot of people that will jump ships from one company to another based on info.

All groups are looking for shreds of info, for their own reasons. That is why these types of sites continue to run these types of stories. We fly to them like bugs to a light. Going to be a long ass wait till E3.

18. ps3fanboy

microsoft is shoot, you can just forget about them, they don’t know jack shit what gaming is about and what gamers want.

if your are a gamer you have only one choice this gen and that is sonys playstation4. sony know what a gaming system are and what their customers want.

with sonys playstatoion4, there is no always on drm crap and you can play used games. when you want to play your games online. you don’t need to pay xlive with no benefits, and forced mcdonalds/mountain dew ads showed in your face. sony also have more exclusives games and are gonna support their ps3 for many years to come. sony know what gamers want, microsoft don’t it is a fact.

TREY4LIFE!

19. ActionGameKing

This has to be a rumour. No way Microsoft would give Sony 3 months of PS4 limelight. Sigh… I was expecting Xbox to put up a huge fight straight out the gate. They’re either over-confident or have already admitted defeat.

20. Moonwalker1982

I just watched this video, and the stuff Paul Thurott says mostly make sense.

Always online is not bad at all, as long as they don’t fuck over gamers by letting the Xbox shut a game down when the internet connection is gone. That is just something that should not happen. All else makes a lot of sense and i do agree with Paul that people worry too much and jump to conclusions without having facts. I as a huge Xbox gamer (i simply prefer it over my PS3) hope MS will make us Xboxers, so to speak, happy and having us look forward to buying it.

21. theevilaires

“Sony with the PS4 has finally brought their offerings up to the standard set 7 years ago by MS with the 360″.

This guy is so in denial. The PS3 has always past the 360 standards. Please show me their equivalent to the Uncharted series….Heavy Rain….SingStar…and Infamous Series. Why can’t the 360 play as many music and video codecs as the PS3 and why do I have to pay $60 a year plus my netflix sub to use it when its usable on the PS3 for free?

Gadzooks wake the hell up you moronic Microsoft ass licker.

22. Wen3

I’m a playstation fan but honestly I think the next xbox will sell a lot t
    Even non gamers will pick it up because they going to make it super smart and really really hot hotter,sexier and smarter than smartphones with the best User interface yet to be seen and all this will evolve over time…..it will be a full entertainment thing who wouldn’t love that…..but as for games I gotta feeling we are going to lack fun games which sony usually delivers……knack,jak,rachet and clank,crash bandicoot etc…..and with that sony may underperform in sales…..and it will be bye bye awesome games……unless a partnership starts or sony delivers full entertainment too. But it will be a joke.I really hope the next xbox is the smartest thing on earth and it attracts developers who wants innovation itself…….I conclude by saying…..Microsoft dudes are geniuses ……but a may be wrong

23. ps3fanboy

wake up mickey$oft brainwashed ass licker!

24. Hellhound30x

25. Gadzooks!

#19

MS have traditionally kept it close to the chest until near release. They work to their own schedules.

26. SlayerGT

I know for a fact what the Nextbox WON’T have…a red LED light anywhere on the machine itself ;)

27. ps3fanboy

I wouldn’t buy the “NETBOX”. Seems games come in the third place at mickey$oft.

#27 1 year ago