NCAA 14 due in July, new physics-based gameplay detailed

Thursday, 4th April 2013 00:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The latest entry in the NCAA series will utilise EA Sports’ Infinity Engine 2, offering physics-based gameplay.

Due on July 9 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, NCAA 14 is supposed to offer “the unpredictability of college football” thanks to Infinity Engine 2′s real-time physics, which allows for user-controlled stumble recoveries and hard cuts.

There’s also a new force impact system, which enhances truck moves and the Hit Stick, and “creates more realistic and dynamic reactions when a runner attempts to stiff-arm a defender”, whatever that means.

Here’s some other sports talk that makes my poor head hurt when I try to parse it:

“A renewed focus on the college-style option game allows you to play true to your team with over 30 new option types, all optimized for a true college football experience. Utilize the Spread Option, Zone Read and more to stymie defenses and put big points on the board. NCAA Football 14 highlights key defenders before the snap so fans can read their movements to know when to handoff, pitch or keep the ball. Play Action Option plays have also been evolved to make it easier than ever to fake the run, set up the throw and burn overly-aggressive defenders.”

Hmm, yes, indeed. Other new features include the popular Ultimate Team mode found in Madden NFL and FIFA, new on-field plays, better presentation options and a revamped Dynasty Mode. Get your first look at the physics-based play and engine improvements in the video below.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. DarkElfa

Break a leg….

2. CaptPierce

3. ps3fanboy

get ready to be milked…. its ea.

4. DSB

But will it include Manti Te’os imaginary girlfriend?

5. ps3fanboy

Manti Te’os imaginary girlfriend will come as a dlc sold at $25

6. NightCrawler1970

Whats wrong with MADDEN?

7. powerbuoy

Why don’t they just use Euphoria? Wish all games did.

8. OlderGamer

After playing Madden on WiiU, I won’t be buying a football that isn’t either one WiiU or at least has the same type of second screen functions.

9. viralshag

How much real game is there in NCAA compared to Madden? As far as I know it’s never released in the UK (which is a shame as I would get this over Madden) so I have no idea.

But what I’m getting at is could NCAA be released as part of Madden? Are they really that different they need different games?

10. DSB

There’s no PAL version of NCAA football.

In terms of bundling them, there’s really no good reason to release a new game every year either. You could just update the roster.

11. OlderGamer

They are vastly different games.

I have always enjoyed NCAA over madden. I think there are 120ish teams in NCAA. The fact that you graduate and recuit new players every season keeps your roster from feeling stale. The offense is wide open in NCAA. Player progression is different. Ofc, the recruiting dynamics are different.

But I think it could be merged without too much trouble. But I doubt that would ever happen. And really NCAA isn’t Madden with Collage teams. Really is its own game. I like much better then Madden.

However I said what i said because of the way the Gamepad allows you to do things on the field that no other version has ever done. I would love NCAA on WiiU. But I doubt that would ever happen either.

If I could buy a PS4 version that uses the Vita the same way WiiU uses the gamepad, I would own that. Maybe I can someday.

12. viralshag

@OG, that’s the impression I got from it. So thanks for making me even more disappointed there’s no European version… ;)

I would get NCAA in a heartbeat for sure and I think it would do reasonably well here. I’m not saying millions of copies but I don’t think releasing 50k copies of the game would go unsold. British American Football is growing as a sport (talking from personal experience here too) and college football is just as popular as NFL.