Dragon’s Crown gameplay trailer shows danger awaiting you in the labyrinth

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 18:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Atlus has sent over a lovely Dragon’s Crown email with the following phrase: “When a dragon knocks, it is indeed best to answer…” I love getting mails from these guys. They are always fun. What is even more fun, is the fact the email contained a link to the latest trailer for the game, which is inserted below. Enjoy it. The multiplayer, scrolling-fantasy, beat-em-up from Vanillaware lands on PS3 and Vita in North America this summer.

1. Clupula

I so can’t wait for this!

2. monkeygourmet

Yeah Bwoy!!! :D

3. monkeygourmet

Also, I have to immediately purchase a game if it has a ‘beholder’ in… True Story!

4. YoungZer0

Breasts-a-floppin’ awesomeness!

5. Da Man

It’s a joke, right?..

Looks like a Golden Axe with some shitty sprites and a mentally generic artstyle.

6. zinc

I’m not a huge fan of this game type, but I’m loving the over stylized characters… That Dwarf is fantastic & the Amazon is ridiculously *WOMAN!*

Personally I think Atlus should do a GoW spin-off :-)

7. silkvg247

What the hell is with the female avatars? I’m ok with sexy but that’s just ridiculous and perverse. What an off putter.

8. monkeygourmet

What about the male avatars?

The Dwarves’ pec’s are nicely on par with the Sorcerers tits I thought?

9. silkvg247

Hey we could start an interesting topic about why society feels boobs are more taboo than a bare male chest, hence bare male chests are allowed publicly, and how male chests aren’t really viewed as a sexual thing like boobs are so therefore, unfair comparison you’ve brought up, but I dunno.. sounds like it could get boring.

I think the closest they could have gotten to making the males just as overly sexualised would have been to have their dicks bulging out and wobbling in their pants, or similar. Thankfully that isn’t the case, though in my opinion both are equally distasteful.

10. Clupula

I think the style is a fairly funny exaggeration of Boris Vallejo’s artwork. I mean, the Amazon has an ass you could probably kill crush someone’s skull between. I don’t find it arousing, but it’s not problematic for me.

@9 – interesting note. In New York State, women are legally allowed to be topless anywhere that men are allowed to be topless, as long as they aren’t selling anything or doing anything overtly sexual. In fact, there was a woman who recently won a lawsuit against the city, since a cop, who was unaware it was legal, arrested her. The case got thrown out and she was able to successfully sue for being arrested for something that wasn’t a crime.

11. ROADKILL_101

Totally psyched for this on Vita.

12. Dragon246

Played their last game, Grand Knights History, wasn’t much impressed. Hopefully they will release a demo.
    But if anything, boobs with abs did me in :D

13. monkeygourmet

I know what your saying, but really; It’s obvious this game has an exagerated art style, it runs through to all characters and monsters.

There’s 2 slutty looking female players (Scorcerer and Amazon, amazon’s always being depicated in roughly this way I might add), and 2 beefy dude players.

These are coupled with a camp looking male mage and a lolli looking female Elf.

Basically, to complain about this is to complain about practically every Manga and Anime ever made. Or even other comics like DC and Marvel.

I have read your blog page, and it was an interesting read, but at the moment you seem to be jumping on every slight hint of female mis-representation in gaming.

This game is not trying to make a serious point, and 99.9% of people won’t grow up with a game like this shaping their world views on gender, believe me.

14. silkvg247

@13 It isn’t the same topic, where did I even mention sexism here? I find it distasteful, childish and off-putting, and that would be equally true if I were male.

FWIW I find anime equally bad when it uses these kinds of visuals. Highschool of the dead started great/ok then by episode 3 was absolute pre-pubescent trash about boobs and crotches. What a waste.

My fave animes to date: Hunter X Hunter, 3X3 eyes, Elfen Lied (apart from the stupid bits), Azumanga Daioh.

Naruto is growing on me and I’ll admit it’s partially because we’re seeing a couple of strong female characters at last.

Bleach is ok but lacks any strong female characters. In fact it suffers from having what should be a strong female be inexcusably weak (from ep 1 onwards at that, sigh)

I’m not trying to be reverse sexist there, I just genuinely find shows more appealing if there’s an awesome chick in them. And the show isn’t about her boobs.

15. monkeygourmet

Thing is, this game is roughly based on D & D fantasy lore, albeit a Japanese Anime take on it.

The base material includes creatures or characters like:

Amazon Warrior Women
    Barbarians
    Harpy’s
    Mage’s
    Witches
    Succubus
    Inncubus
    Trolls
    Dragons

etc.. etc…

These myth’s and re-imaginings of myth’s are generally quite sexulised. This isn’t even a new spin on things but historically depicited that way. Coupled with the Anime type spin on this, I can see why they used this ‘look’.

Just do a search for D & D, Amazon Warrior, Scorceress, Barbarian etc… The characters are often sexulised.

I suppose it’s each to their own.

You seem to find it very hard to ‘relate’ to something unless it ticks a very stringent amount of ‘boxes’ for you.

With videogames like this, I don’t really find a problem with not relating to a character im playing.

16. viralshag

If the sorceress doesn’t use those boobs to demolish buildings she’s missing a viable career path as a human wrecking ball.

17. monkeygourmet

Where did I put my fancy dress ‘wall’ costume… ;)

18. silkvg247

@15 I grew up on fantasy / DnD and nowhere did I see boob bouncing like this.

19. monkeygourmet

Of course not, it’s a mash up of styles.

There was definatly a lot of TNA in D&D, Conan etc… Christ, a lot of Witch mythology came about from assuming someone fucked the Devil and made a pact.

That kind of fantasy and lore is steeped in Pagan sexual rituals. This is just a fun take on the genre.

If Dragons Dogma or Skyrim looked like this, I would be a lot more worried.

20. silkvg247

Maybe I’m just losing my sense of humour with age, dunno.

21. monkeygourmet

That is a thing, believe me. Lollipop Chainsaw was a bridge to far for me. Mainly because the gameplay was so shitty.