PC software sales hit $20 billion in 2012, new report finds

Thursday, 28th March 2013 12:12 GMT By Dave Cook

PC software sales exploded to $20 billion last year, according to a new report by industry analysts DFC Intelligence.

Commissioned by the PC Gaming Alliance – which includes members Intel and AMD – the report found that the $20 billion figure shows an 8% increase in sales from 2011, and Diablo 3, Minecraft, and Guild Wars 2 were key contributors.

The report adds that China is the world’s fastest-growing PC market, which accounted for $7 billion of the grand total last year. It also found that there are around one billion PC gamers around the globe today, and that DFC Intelligence expects the market to make $25.7 billion by 2016.

What do you make of the figures above? Let us know below.

Thanks Shacknews.

1. Tr0n

Go Guild Wars 2! \o/

#1 1 year ago
  2. BULArmy

Nope, PC gaming is dead, or if it is not dead yet, it will die exactly teh day next gen consoles are on the shelves. Oh yeah and PC don’t haz games.
    /sacrcasm

Those numberes are nice, but really they sound too shallow, without a proper break down of the components that led to this figure.

Also PC Gaming Aliance is a joke and hasn’t helped PC gaming in any way. We really don’t need such organization.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

EA felt that it was necessary to put out money to create an incredibly expensive digital distribution service, because they felt that Steam was taking too much of their profits (cuts on DLCs and all).

That, to me, tells me all I need to know about PC gaming.

#3 1 year ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

Hey guys! Please tell me, what is the best PC rig that I can get for $1000…

…to play Minecraft on?

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Just wait 5 minutes guys. The new consoles will be out, the publishers will be tripping over eachother to find the next smash hit, and PC profits will plummet yet again only to rise in about 3 years time.

Sometime early on, a journalist or analyst will declare PC gaming dead.

It’s purely a psychological thing on behalf of the publishers, but it’s gonna happen.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OlderGamer

Hey G1GA tell me what console I can get that can play WoW, Civ V, StarcraftII, the empire games, countless more and a whole host of PC exclusive/PC first indie games….

Fact is you don’t need 1000usd to buy a PC. I spent 600usd on my launch PS3. I have 600usd total in my current PC right now. Plus the games cost so much less on PC, making it easy to save money over time vs console gaming.

But believe what you want.

Not to mention who the hell says it is a one over the other choice? I have a PC and consoles. Most people that I game with on PC also have consoles.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ten98

G1GAHURTZ: Best PC you can get for $1000 for Minecraft would be a self-build.

I would go for: Sandy bridge i5 2500K, HD7870 graphics card, 120gb Vertex 3 SSD, Gigabyte Z77 motherboard, 8GB Patriot DDR3 RAM, Corsair 500W PSU, Antec One case.

As for Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, just get whatever ones you want. Personally, I use my TV as a monitor.

With a monitor, comes out to about $900. Without, about $700.

Minecraft alone is worth it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

One billion PC gamers? Haha, yeah, ok then…

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

@6:

Why would you want to play those games on console? They’re PC games, OG, surely even the biggest n00b in the world knows that!

@7:

Thanks for the advice! 120GB is kind of small, though…

#9 1 year ago
  10. pukem0n

95% of this comes from Minecraft and facebook games ^^

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

I am not bitting at your troll bait G1GA.

My point ofc is that PC gaming offers games you can’t get on console, and the price of PC gaming vs console gaming isn’t as one sided as it might seem. You know all of that, hence why you are playing it the way you are.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OnionPowder

@G1GA: While a SSD is nice and all you’re better off just getting a plain ol’ HDD. I have a 2TB drive that cost me less than $200 and I have over 130 games installed right now on steam with 1TB free.

(assuming you are US) Here’s an example of a 1TB HDD for $100

Over the standard $100-$140 for a 120GB SSD. Gaming performance isn’t affected by SSDs, just marginal load time increases (or in the case of Battlefield 3 huge increases :P). It is nice to run your OS off of a SSD, which I do, but to only run a SSD will really hold you back for storage space.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Cobra951

There’s no way I’d build a PC with only SSD storge. Adequate SSD + huge HDD would be ideal.

#13 1 year ago
  14. livewired500

I like 1tb x 2 in Raid 0. Considering, I can’t read the hints on the loading screens fast enough in most games, I can’t see the need to go from 5 seconds load times to 4 seconds. The value for cost isn’t quite there yet for SSD, IMO.

@4 Of course, for Minecraft, you can pick up a $100 PC from craigslist and you’ll do just fine. Or I have an old Q6600/8800GT rig I’ll sell you for $300 :)

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Maybe I should get one of these, though… http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/28/4155606/razer-edge-review

#15 1 year ago
  16. blackdreamhunk

no surprise 20 billion and claiming

My thoughts consoles is sum up right here!

PC vs XBOX 360

even mmo’s are crap on consoles and not the same as pc

reasons why it’s worth to be a pcgamer

Even Adam Sessler admits pc gaming rules