David Hayter says he was not asked to be in Metal Gear Solid 5

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 21:53 GMT By Phil Owen

Well, this is certainly interesting. After watching the trailer and gameplay demo for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain earlier today, I thought it was strange that Snake (Big Boss, it would appear) did not speak at all. David Hayter, previous voice for Snakes both Solid and Naked, went to Twitter to say he “had a good run.”

That’s the true end of an era right there. At least we’ll still have him in SWTOR as the Jedi Knight. And we can watch the movies he writes.

1. silverstorm

This cannot be

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

This Can’t be :(

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

I thought he came out first and asked the community if they’d be upset if he didn’t voice again. Kojima, being Japanese, was probably insulted he would even ask. That or they’re not even thinking of English voice overs yet.

Edit: Then again it is The Phantom Pain..maybe Snake will be mute from his accident.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Beta

Utterly ridiculous that they’ve replaced David just like that after so many years. If it was a new character I wouldn’t mind. First Ironside goes, now this.

You wouldn’t replace Nolan North as the voice of Nate, why do this?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Darth-Bader

to be completely honest… I wasn’t crazy about his voice acting. Too grunty! but that’s my opinion! Still, it would be interesting to hear how Snake will sound now.

of course it’s possible that Hayter will still be doing the VA and this is all another Kojima stunt.

#5 1 year ago
  6. The Dude

In a way, I’m ready for this change. David Hayter is Solid Snake, and tbh it was beginning to get difficult to distinguish between him and Big Boss. I know one is a clone of the other, but they seemed to like the same person for too long, and the change in voice may help separate the two characters.

I will miss David’s voice though.

#6 1 year ago
  7. matirishhh

Not only writes, but also directs. His debut movie “wolves” will be in cinemas this year. Such a shame he will no reprise his role…MGS is not the same without him…

#7 1 year ago
  8. Beta

David Hayter trending higher than MGSV on Twitter right now. Quite a bit of hate for Kojima and Konami too.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

I’m not really surprised he wasn’t asked. David Hayter has become such a huge name that perhaps there was some concern that the cost of hiring him to VA again would be too high.

There’s also an alternative explanation: Snake can’t talk. Whether or not that’s actually likely is anyone’s guess, but if Snake has no speaking lines at all, then there really isn’t a need to bring David Hayter in just to record some grunts and groans if even that.

Though no matter what the reasons are, Kojima and Konami still should have at least contacted him. Let him know what the plan is, why they aren’t using his talents.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hellhound30x

To be honest, I’m not even excited about MGS anymore… I know, it shouldn’t bother me as much as it does, but it does… bleh! Why do Japanese game developers seem to make one stupid decision after another stupid decision… bleh!

#10 1 year ago
  11. theevilaires

Very stupid Kojima very fucking stupid. David Hayter is Snake and this just won’t feel proper :( I knew it wasn’t him in that gameplay trailer and this news just confirmed it. Pure bullshit man.

#11 1 year ago
  12. theevilaires

I’m having second thoughts on buying this now. I don’t need this game. I know how it all ends in 4 which makes 5 pretty much useless and dumb. I haven’t even bought the HD collection yet or played peace walker on either format. Yea I think I’m done with Metal Gear Solid now. “I had a good run” Kojima.

The era of Metal Gear Solid being my favorite series has ended. At least I still have Uncharted and I know Norlan North will always do Drake cause Naughty Dog aren’t foolish to ruin their good fortune with their games.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Zohar

MGS trailers welcome wild speculation so here goes:

Character with no arm in trailer is Liquid (who was never voiced by Hayter), not Solid or Big Boss. Turns out he’s alive afterall. Big Boss appears in “Ground Zeros” prequel missions only, with different VO. Game splits the time line between 70s/80s big boss and post MGS4 Liquid waking up in a totally changed world.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Beta

I’m happy to end my long love affair with this series with MGS4. They didn’t need to do MGS5 and this has completely killed my excitement. I’d consider buying it if they brought Hayter back but I’m not hyped at all now.

https://www.change.org/petitions/kojima-productions-bring-back-david-hayter-as-the-voice-actor-for-snake-in-mgs-v Petition has just been started.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

@ 13 you’re on crack. Liquid is dead. Nothing in that video suggest he was Liquid and you forget Liquid has a British accent. Guy in that video was clearly not British and definitely not Hayter. Still I’m done with the series it ended at 4 for me and MG Raiden is a joke. The end has begun.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dragon246

And even odder thing is a few months ago, Hayter started a poll on Twitter asking how would fans feel if he is not a part of MGS, most people wanted him and he forwarded to Kojima and KojiPro.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dragon246

Here is the proof-

Really bad decision, Hayters voice is almost synonymous with Snake.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Armitage Shanks

I think this is being done as it seems like Kojima is working towards a full blown remake of the first Metal Gear title.Just as they had Richard Doyle voice Big Boss in MGS4 to help differentiate the characters i think they will probably bring Hayter back for Snake in the remake and have whoever is voicing Big Boss now return also.I have a feeling we will at least see Solid Snake gearing up for his mission to Outer Heaven to take down Big Boss or something like that in a post credits scene of the Phantom Pain.

#18 1 year ago
  19. TraceableX

They ruined SH and know they are doing this? Konami is so fucking stupid.

@12, very same here.

#19 1 year ago
  20. penniman

Perhaps hayter wanted a ton of money, so Kojima would be justified to let him go. Perhaps it was roughly 20 million and his comments on twitter are directed at Kojima for not paying the summ?

Also, unlike most of you. Hayter doesn’t make MGS. Metal Gear Solid is popular because of the great story telling, characters, and plot.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

What part of was not asked do you not understand? You have to be asked in order to make an offer for how much you want to be paid.

#21 1 year ago
  22. penniman

@21 Perhaps for MGS4 it cost a ton, and Hayter was being greedy then to warrent Kojima not even asking for Hayter again.

I am just saying that it is a little strange that Kojima wouldn’t ask for him out of nowhere.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Phoenixblight

Yes of course the “its not Konami’s fault” you know the publisher that pushed out bugged products out the door but the voice actor is being greedy. The company put in a shit load of money for their new engine what that engine does with a 3d scanner is not cheap, hell 3d scanners themselves aren’t cheap they could easily pay David Hayter he isn’t getting paid as much as Mark Hammil who is paid 10k for 3 days work and is known for being the highest paid Voice Actor.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Digital Bamboo

Didn’t see this coming. To be honest I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, Hayter IS Snake, and has been from the very first MGS game I ever played on PS, so it’s difficult to imagine the character being voiced by anyone else. However, during my recent replay of MGS3 I felt that Snake’s voice was a bit much–extremely gruff, even though I never felt that way before–then again, everything about MGS is ‘a bit much’ so Hayter’s voice is kinda’ the perfect fit.

Anyhow, they should have at least told the man. Even better, throw a MGS party to say farewell to Hayter and hello to whoever will now be voicing Snake. That way, they could have all had a drink together (and perhaps a private laugh or two at Kojima’s expense) and parted ways on good terms. Just seems cold.

BTW, not that I care a great deal, but I haven’t played MGS4 yet, and didn’t know any of the plot points mentioned in this thread. It would be cooler if posters would indicate potential spoilers before they drop them.

#24 1 year ago
  25. aaron_avelino

this is the only idea or decision of kojima that i do not like. i just wish he knows how the iconic voice of snake meant to us, fans of the game. First Sam Fisher now Snake? F*ck no!!!

#25 1 year ago
  26. mojo

hayters gonna hate

#26 1 year ago
  27. Eregol

I find this odd. Wasn’t it blatantly his voice when they showed Ground Zeroes a ways back, when he said ‘Kept you waiting huh?’
    And Ground Zeroes has been renamed The Phantom Pain?

#27 1 year ago
  28. Beta

So they’re using the same Japanese actor as they always have making this decision even more mind boggling…

#28 1 year ago
  29. osric90

I don’t know what to think about this. I grew up listening to the old good Hayter. Konami has been making weird decisions lately, let’s hope this is for the best somehow. And well, yes, maybe Richard Doyle will be voicing the character this time (I doubt it will be a mute character even when that could be a possibility for all the coma stuff). But I’m sure we all will riot if this doesn’t happen: MG1 and MG2:SS not voiced by David Hayter… and, of course, a life changing, circle closing MGS1 remake.

#29 1 year ago
  30. POOP CRUSTY

LOL seriously people? So because he isn’t voicing Snake you won’t buy it or aren’t excited anymore? Get over yourselves. Who cares? I’ve been playing MGS games since the first one came out and I won’t let something as miniscule as a different voice for snake change my opinion of the game.

#30 1 year ago
  31. locus2k1

Just my two cents:

I’m no expert on the Japanese culture, but as far as I am aware VAs are a big thing over there, no matter what the medium is – games/movies/TV shows, they generally have the actors remain the same, spanning careers that can go on for decades; the rare replacement being due to health difficulties and/or death.

Now I am not saying in any way that David Hayter has any health problems, but there may be a good reason why he is not being used… random question – has the Japanese VA for Snake/Big Boss been confirmed to be reprising his role?

#31 1 year ago
  32. Hellhound30x

BRING BACK DAVID HAYTER, SIGN THE PETITION!

#32 1 year ago
  33. YoungZer0

First Sam, now Snake? Why are videogame developers getting rid of the iconic voices of their heroes?

#33 1 year ago
  34. Hellhound30x

@#33 anything to prevent “residuals” from happening… because in the end it will be inevitable….
    Why do you think Mark Hamill doesn’t want to do the Joker anymore in the Batman games? They make almost a billion dollars off both games, and he only ever got one check… greedy industry this game industry is…

#34 1 year ago
  35. Clupula

Is there ANY industry that isn’t a greedy industry? That’s kind of the point of being an industry in the first place. To make money.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Beta

@30 You’re free to do as you wish, as are we. No need for anyone to get over themselves.

No, I’m not very excited for this and yes, that is somewhat because of the fact that Kojima and Konami didn’t even contact Hayter. And ignored him when he made contact asking why they chose a different actor.

If people are excited then I’m happy for them, but I’m happy with MGS1-MGS4. :)

#36 1 year ago
  37. Clupula

See, I’m still going to buy it, no matter what, but I did sign the petition and I do want Hayter to do the voice. He IS an iconic voice.

#37 1 year ago