Oculus Rift: watch VG247 play Hawken here

Tuesday, 26th March 2013 16:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Oculus Rift promises to raise immersion in games to a whole new level. Watch VG247′s Sam Clay play Adhesive Game’s shooter Hawken here, and speak with the studio.

As you can see, the game has full head-tracking, and as Adhesive told us, takes some time to get used to. You can see from the picture-in-picture footage that Sam’s head movements are perfectly captured in-game.

It also didn’t make him sick, which is a big win for VR games everywhere.

What do you think?

1. Bomba Luigi

I have no need for something like that. I just wanna Sit on my Couch an play, with as less movement as Possible. And without weird stuff to put on.

But its still a good Thing, there are People who want something like that, so they should get it. I just don’t want that to be the Future, as an Option, Yes, but I still want my normal Gaming Experience.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Len

Biggest, most exciting step in gaming in years imo. :)

If they can bring it in under $1000 I’ll bite their hands off. Hope it gets more and more traction.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheBlackHole

FINALLY. Innovation.

#3 1 year ago
  4. nollie4545

I’d snap their hands off, I just want to be able to look around even if it means using the keyboard and mouse to move and aim, the ability to look around without needing a third hand would be ace, talk about immersion. Yes there would be a learning curve but who cares?

I understand Dev kits for this were going for about $300 unless I am mistaken and they are trying to keep it very affordable.

#4 1 year ago
  5. G1GAHURTZ

No thanks.

#5 1 year ago
  6. blackdreamhunk

that s so cool picture a space sim while wearing that.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

I would use it. I would think controler over KB/MS tho, would you guys? Hard to see the KB with that thing on. You don’t need to see your controler to use it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. NightCrawler1970

@3, FOR REAL? VR is old as hell…

Source:
    Innovated early 1990.. but i guess you was liquid in that time…

#8 1 year ago
  9. Moonwalker1982

Imagine a horror game with that thing on, jesus. Do you guys think MS or Sony could actually come with this or is that chance very slim?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Timurse

Guys, as much as I love your website and read it for almost 3,5 years now but Sam is clearly very unprofessional. I watched lots of his videos and they are being flawed in almost anything you can imagine. Even here he managed to screw up the footage to the level of bare recognition :(

#10 1 year ago
  11. Richenbaum

@#8 This is a LITTLE bit different than ugly $5 a pop arcade games that require enormous hardware setups that you can’t use at home. Pretty sure this is going to be a bit better than crap like Dactyl Terror.

@#9 Oh god yes. Can’t wait.

#11 1 year ago
  12. roadkill

@1 Wow! You’re a console potato. I’m amazed that you actually admitted it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CPC_RedDawn

Did anyone watch John Carmack keynote speech at quakecon?

They had this running RAGE with INSANELY high textures that took up nearly 32GB in RAM and they could crouch down and actually see grains of dirt on the ground!!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Shame it wont be mainstream for a few more years to come.

#13 1 year ago
  14. RocknRolla

amazing!!!! the response time is going to be a lot better with time :) but I want to get my hands on this :D give this technology 2-3 more years and voila! this does not mean we have to forget about a controller people so relax! Innovation is very good :)

#14 1 year ago
  15. blackdreamhunk

I honestly would love space sim wearing this like mass effect or something cool like that and hopefully it will not over priced at 1000 already paying a lot for my computer.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Richenbaum

or even better, an actual space sim.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Tehen

@6 @15 @16 About space sim and this tech, Star Citizen is supposed to support the Oculus Rift when it is released.
    We just do not know when.
    Can’t wait :) .