Call of Duty: Ghosts next-gen only, reveal on May 1 – rumor

Friday, 22nd March 2013 14:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Information pertaining to the next Call of Duty game from Infinity Ward has purportedly leaked. As usual, take all this information as “rumor” until something official has been announced.

According to the information gleaned in the video below, the next game will not be titled Modern Warfare 4, but Call of Duty: Ghosts. Phantoms was another subtitle being kicked around, but Ghosts was decided upon.

It will be stemming from the Modern Warfare series, but branching out into a new direction with its campaign set in the future – much like Treyarch’s Black Ops 2 – yet uses current weaponry. While this sounds odd, according to the video there is a major event in the future which causes those involved to use weapons which are currently available instead of something more futuristic.

Multilayer loading screens will be dynamic, similar to scenes from Black Ops 2. One loading screen sees the player repelling from a helicopter into the map or break a glass window to enter a building. Basically, the loading screens are a “mini-game” which bring you into the multiplayer map.

Player movement has also been changed around, and while an answer wasn’t given on Dolphin Dive, players can instead “dash into sliding while shooting.”

Prone and crouch will be changed a bit as well, and supposedly, peaking around corners is back for the console versions. Also when you go prone, you can go “roll side-to-side DayZ-style.”

Spec-Ops is no more, and will be replaced by something “new” along with different mini-games.

A more destructive environment is being mulled around and is currently in the “implementation phase,” and while it seems to be working well at present in single-player, the developers are supposedly finding it a bit more “problematic” in multiplayer.

There will be more things in the environment that can kill you or that you can interact with, basically.

According to the video, the game will only launch on PC and next-generation consoles. But like most of this information, nothing is confirmed, but if true it adds credence to the rumors of a holiday launch of the next-Xbox console alongside PS4.

The announcement of the game is supposedly going to be made on or near May 1.

Drift0r, the fella who made the video said the information came to him from a “very legitimate source.”

“Typically I would not post videos like this but I completely trust this source,” he said. “Hopefully I am not being trolled by someone I trust and this information comes through in the end.”

We’ve mailed Activision on this and if we hear anything back we will let you know.

Thanks, Teem.

1. SplatteredHouse

That’s NOT the ghost I was looking to see today. Activision, you evil trolls!

2. DSB

That’s not exactly credible. Although it sounds good!

3. Lengendaryboss

In other news the Sky is blue and the Clouds are white :)
    But in all seriousness i can’t blame Activision for milking this series dry, it gives the devil money to fund crappy licenced games and this Cash Cow.

4. Dave Cook

@3 Dunno man, sounds like it could be rather different if this vid is on the money.

Business exist to make money mate, remember the dollar is king (unfortunately) :P

5. matirishhh

@3 not really. I haven’t seen a blue sky since November. So everything is relative. Just like Call of Duty:ghosts . :]

6. Dave Cook

@5 Aye, the weather here is shite. It’s too damn cold.

7. Fin

He trusts the source WITH HIS LIFE

8. The_Red

It doesn’t make sense unless Battlefield 4 is also going PC + next-gen only. If just one of them becomes next-gen only (Instead of both), the other will eat a huge chunk of its market share. Of course if both of them go for PC, PS4 and Xbox 3, then it will be game-over for current gen systems as well as Wii U.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Oh why did I just watch that video……..?

I really want to pwn some n00bs, right now…

Mmmmmmust…rrrresist…

Why Dave, why!?

10. Dave Cook

@10 :O I didn’t post it. But yeah, I think it sounds interesting with the slides, peeking and prone rolls. That’s going to be odd if true.

11. Erthazus

Ghosts possible Plot: 2D Explosions, Bad Russians (Chinese are also involved somewhere in the future), USA F*ck Yeah!, “something like a guy riding on a horse with a stinger shooting tanks”, Syberia (it must be somewhere), Arabian terrorists/islamism somewhere, shitty conspiracy theories that does not make any sense, one bad evil guy with fake Russian accent, Explosions, nuclear weapons, Explosions, linear corridors and Special forces called Ghosts (maybe, lol)

Can’t wait.

@8, I think it does make sense. I think BF4 will be on next gen only and PC too.

12. Lengendaryboss

@4 Well Dave if this rumor is true and launching on next generation hardware it could be like COD Modern Warfare (Not too sure if that is the game fans love) it could revitalize FPS multiplayer (I Never believed that opinion). @5 Sorry i am speaking from my perspective here in the UK which is very Cold.

13. Dave Cook

@12 I hope not though, as for me the decline began with MW3. It’s a shame as I – personally – feel Black Ops 2 has a superb multiplayer component. I get some folk hate it but I’m loving it still.

14. nani17

Can’t wait 6 new maps and 5 new guns so excited

15. Lengendaryboss

@13 Sadly Dave thanks to COD junkies it is very difficult to tell whether or not each COD game has anything unique about it. Granted Black Ops 2 did innovate having an good multiplayer but a question needs to be asked when will the love for COD go away? Sales figures have decreased showing the series is becoming rinse and repeat for people.

16. Hcw87

This series needs to die fast. It infects other games aswell, implementing stuff from the CoD games.

Start over, new engine, new name, better setting (less american patriotistic crap).

Oh and add actual recoil to weapons, making the new game actually require skill.

17. DSB

@13 Yeah, I agree 100%.

I got to play a bit of BLOPS 2 during the free weekend on Steam, but the matchmaker just didn’t work. I had something like 5 misfires just to get into one game, and it would actually load each level before telling me.

If it hadn’t wasted my time like that, I might’ve gone for it, because the couple of matches I did manage to get were actually quite great. It seems like Treyarch have finally understood how to make a map.

Their work on PC is just absolute trash though.

18. Moonwalker1982

Player movement has changed, sounds interesting and i wonder what this could really mean. If anything, COD is really in need of some serious change and improvements. Especially some decent physics, who knows..maybe they can ‘win me back’ with a next-gen COD. If this game is truly only for PC and next-gen consoles, that’s a good thing.

19. Dave Cook

@18 There is still hope man :D

20. Samoan Spider

As always, I’ll play it for the SP and avoid the MP like the plague, but please ffs be longer than 4 -6 hours this time eh?

21. TheBlackHole

Unless Spec Ops is replaced with offline, split-screen, campaign co-op, they can **** right off.

Sick of developers trying to force me to player Vs or play alone.

22. Djoenz

Im quite fed up with COD. Black Ops was brilliant imo. Great SP great MP and most definitely great Zombies.

They messed up with Blops2 so bad. Weak SP decent MP and a failed zombie mode.

MW2 was ace. MW3 I was addicted to.

Well we’ll see what this baby has to offer.

23. The_Red

I think the opposite will happen: No more offline, split-screen. There is a separate online, episodic second campaign for co-op while the singleplayer is a “connected” world where players affect the universe which requires constant internet connection.

24. Erthazus

Physics…

I never played BO2. But BO2 was the first in the series that had Ragdoll physics. I remember they said something about it.

25. Dragon246

Impossible. Unless they are nuts. None of the major third party games will be next-gen only this year. They would lose on soooo much sales.

26. TheBlackHole

What’s the point of gaming if you can’t share the experience with other people IN THE SAME PLACE.

27. G1GAHURTZ

^ You could ask that question about every single player game ever made.

28. DSB

I think the experience itself matters. Playing something like BF3 I really miss the replays and the killcams. I still can’t think of a proper reason why they would be left out of a game like that.

29. TheBlackHole

True, but I like the mix.

Gears, Halo and Left 4 Dead have been some of the coolest experiences this gen for me. All played with friends.

I don’t see any reason to not include split screen, campaign co-op, other than a financial one.

30. loki

Call of Duty: Ghosts next-gen only. LOL no PC

31. ActionGameKing

Will this debut at Microsoft’s Xbox 720 conference, or after? That’s the big question here.

32. Lewis247

I’m ok with this.

Black Ops 2 had such an off beat Single Player. Nothing seem coherent or made sense stopping and picking back up. Online was a hell of a lot better than MW3 however.

I’m looking forward to this.

33. nascarfan2488

As much as people think a next gen release is a bad idea it is also a reasonable one. The next gen systems have a very different make up that is closer to what a pc is. It would have been very hard and very expensive for them to port the game over to current gen consoles. Also it would be very complicated if they wanted to redesign the game and have some features that weren’t possible on current gen. Cod will most definatly what their game running on the lastest hardware so this next gen only is not that suprising when you think of it. Again the big point here is they are trying to be cost effective.

34. NightCrawler1970

UTTER GARBAGE, it seems like the GPX quality from the FIRST MW and MW2…

Nice try and not interessed in buying that crappy game…

35. Djoenz

Nextgen only? Who of all the gamers will buy a next gen console within the first year they release? When are the next gen consoles even coming out?

I sure as hell wont buy a next gen console of the bat. There are kinks, issues to be resolved. I bet they will release slim versions eventually. Only then I will buy a next gen console.

Cheaper tht way.

36. Lengendaryboss

@35 Well believe it or not there are people who want to upgrade or buy into PS4/Xbox720. Developing for Next Gen can open up new opportunities and avoid being limited by last gen. PS4 is currently confirmed to be targeting Holiday 2013 and Xbox720 well most likely sometime in 2013. Yeah there are Pros and Cons to buying into a New console.

37. Docker Al

Loved the original Black Ops but BO2 has killed this franchise for me forever. Quick scoping,trick shotting,spawn trapping,Youtubers,an endless stream of helicopter/jet attacks,a community that only plays objective modes to ignore the objectives so they can boost their holy K/D,tiny maps and the list goes on.Blops 2 destroyed everything that was great about this series.It’s not a game anymore.Treyarch have turned it into social media with guns.The most unpleasant experience I have ever had in an online shooter.I traded it in just to get it out of my house.

38. Sanwiches

At least it cannot be worst than MW3. It was their first COD game (for the current devs).

ANYWAY, I will be waiting for Respawn’s game for another COD-like game.

39. Sanwiches

And seriously, we’ve had our old console for quite a long time, I don’t mind having to buy a PS4 to play this game.

IT LASTED 6 YEARS GENTLEMEN, IT’S TIME TO MOVE ON.

40. Bomba Luigi

Next Gen Only smells very Strong like BS. Whats the Point of making CoD? Selling over 20 Mio. Games. There won’t be enough Next Gen Consoles out there for that, its sounds too strange that Acti don’t want all the Sales the Current Gen Consoles can create.

Just too many PS360 out there, they can’t ignore them already in 2013/14. Not when they want to sell 20 Mio. Games.

41. G1GAHURTZ

^ It would make sense if there were two CoD releases.

One current gen (MW4), and one next gen only.

42. roni1175

No way Activision would skip the current gen. Doesn’t make any sense.

43. M. K.

It’s obvious gentlemen. MW4 aka CoD: Ghost will release for current gen consoles in november. The “next-gen” CoD will release 2k14* on new consoles. But as we know, Acti is greedy, so we’ll see CoD: Ghost for PS360 in November and another next gen release around January :F

Of course I hope Acti will present a new engine until then!

44. SplatteredHouse

Look out for Ghost: Transparency, coming to next-gen only in 2014! Obviously, the PC version will be a barely optimised console port lol. “By popular demand” and “as testament to the versatility of our current technology” we were able to bring it to new platform owners… I wouldn’t rule that rubbish out, either.

45. bburshaw

Is this video not of MW3….

46. Dave Cook

@45 erm, yes. But the guy explains that. He’s talking about MW4 while the footage plays.