Beyond: Two Souls longer than Heavy Rain, lasts 12-15 hours

Thursday, 21st March 2013 14:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Beyond: Two Souls gameplay lead Caroline Marchal has told VG247 that the game will come in around the 12-15 hour mark, and is longer than Quantic Dream’s previous release Heavy Rain.

Speaking with VG247 at an event in Paris, Marchal said, “I think it’s longer than Heavy Rain because there is more exploration. It’s difficult to say right now because we are, at the moment, pacing the game, so things change and lines are moving.

“But I would say between 12-15 hours of play, depending on the player’s choices.”

Pat has gone hands-on with Beyond: Two Souls and has written a full appraisal of what he saw here. It even involve a scene that sees you helping to deliver a baby, and cutting the umbilical cord as well, which is surely a first for gaming.

What do you make of the game’s length? Let us know below.

1. Dragon246

Great games with long single player story? Sign me up!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

Haha yeah David said Heavy Rain was 8-10 hours. I beat that game in 2.5 hours. SO yeah I am gonna go on a limb and say this game is 4-5 hours tops.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

@2,
    But don’t you think games like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead demand multiple playthroughs?
    And he was pretty accurate about heavy rain-
    Average is 9 hours. Yours is faster than a speedrun mentioned there.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

you beat the game in 2.5 hours? seriously? i dunno how people do that i have never seen anyone do that .. and mostly it’s just internet talk i think
    no offense @2

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Not really especially Walking Dead because you realize no matter what your chour choices were 90% of your team was going to die it was just in which order were they going to die or how.

The writers said they troll the players and you play it a second time and you see what they meant. People were pissed about Mass Effect not giving you a choice play Walking Dead a second time and you see how binary the game actually is.

Heavy Rain was 2.5 hours on my first play through so I played it 3 more times each within 40 mins. THe game is not worth 60$ nor was replaying the game. David Cage was right in that respect the game was not meant to play multiple times. I am not going to pay 60$ for an interactive movie that is shorter than any of the LOTR series. 20-30 sure but not 60$. That game is the sole reason why I will be waiting until Beyond is 30$ that or I am able to rent it.

The game is one really long QTE so why would it take more than that. There is little to no actual gameplay there are just transition from one QTE to another. If you don’t believe me there are playthroughs of people beating it faster than me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

@2 – I’ve seen people take 8 hours to beat Heavy Rain. If you beat it in only 2 and a half, you must have gotten everyone killed. That speeds up the ending quite a bit. And even then, I’d say it’s closer to 3 and a half/4 hours that way.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dragon246

@5,
    Well, your choice, but you are in severe minority here. Heavy Rain is much much longer for most people than your time. See the link I posted.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Nope only person that died was the serial killer. I don’t care if you believe me or not thats your prerogative. I did and its one of the reasons why I don’t listen to David Cage.

and how do they get those numbers? People tell them because there is no way to actually track that stuff unless they start from the first trophy to last for every single person.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon246

@8,
    “People tell them”
    You are doing the same thing aren’t you? People are telling their play lengths, and most lie in 9 hours range. Pretty good and Cage got it spot on.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

It took me about 6, 7 hours to beat. Heavy Rain has been one of the 3 games I use when I want to get women into videogames, so I’ve seen about 10 different women play it. One person wanted to beat it in one setting. Took her 8 hours. I know, because I took a nap during it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

@dragon

That’s fine but it isn’t for me. He is just a peter molyneux 2.0 just saying shit any kind of shit so he looks like he is an innovator when he isn’t. He is just an over paid story teller working for a mo cap studio.

#11 1 year ago
  12. PEYJ

@Phoenixblight

Think what you want about David Cage. I would never question such an opinion, no matter how much I disagree. However, 2,5 hours through all those chapters and then 40 minutes when you played three times more? That’s a lie.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

@Peyj

Again your perogative not mine.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Djoenz

Well I thought Heavy Rain was outstanding and definitely worth the 60bucks. However I borrowed it from a buddy.

The story was excellent. IMO really innovative. The glasses tht dude uses for crime scenes was actually recreated irl in my country by forensic detectives.

I always take my time with games. I scope the surroundings and try to explore as much as possible.

I had a sufficient amount of time and joy of this game. Most definitely more than 2.5 hours.

I yearn for these type of games. I adore them.
    Keep em coming.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ActionGameKing

So many spoilers in this thread…

#15 1 year ago
  16. Rosseu

I played Heavy Rain for the story too and got the platinum trophy after hours of repeated playing. I know it’s just me but being curious about the full story made me do all the scenarios without getting bored. I am very excited to get my hands on Beyond :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. dtyk

@Pheonixblight

According to stats, you are a complete liar.

According to truth, maybe you did beat it in 2.5 hours. However, I highly doubt you did it in 40 min.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Kaufer

Wow thats pretty convenient to use for internet arguments.

#18 1 year ago
  19. dtyk

lol isn’t it? Though I really am not saying that he’s bullshitting, since I myself haven’t had time to finish the game. However, empirical evidence suggest 40 minutes to be impossible. That’s all I’m saying.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Kuwabara

PHEONIXBLIGHT YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!

#20 1 year ago