SimCity players to receive free PC game for their troubles

Saturday, 9th March 2013 13:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA is offering an olive branch to SimCity players by way of a free PC game, as an apology for the server issues stemming from the game’s launch. The firm has also said it is “definitely looking into” an offline mode for the title.

According to an email from the firm we received overnight, the free PC game is from EA’s portfolio which can be redeemed on March 18 by SimCity players who have activated their game.

An email will be sent to players instructing them on how to redeem their free game.

“I know that’s a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy,” said Maxis boss Lucy Bradshaw in the announcement. “But we feel bad about what happened. We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100%

“The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity, but some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that we’re working fast to address.

“A lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta. OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120%. It’s working – the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80%

“So we’re close to fixed, but not quite there. I’m hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.”

Bradshaw went on to state that while SimCity is “fundamentally a great game,” it is made to be played online, and “if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience.”

“So we’re not going to rest until we’ve fixed the remaining server issues,” she added.

On Twitter, Bradshaw answered various questions tweeted to her through the SimCity account, and at one point, someone asked if Maxis was looking into taking the game offline.

“We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we’ll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts,” read her reply. “[But] we’re definitely looking into this as we know it would improve your experience.”

1. ballz

crysis3 or gtfo :)

2. The_Red

Now if only EA could add “awlays-online” mandate to those “free” games and we will be set for a perfect future where nobody can play singleplayer and must always use “enhanced” connected features such as 2 hour queues at best.

3. DSB

@2 There’s really nothing dumber than a corporation. You have to hurt them to teach them.

4. DarkElfa

It’s a nice gesture but means nothing as a digital copy of a game technically costs them nothing.

5. Erthazus

That was DUMB as F.

but, remember what Activision did with Diablo III 37 ERROR? NOTHING. They are much worse.

6. The_Red

Sadly I don’t think this will hurt them. They saw how well Dialbo 3 worked against piracy without losing sales. People vote for that with their wallets and soon forgot.

This kinda reminds me of Fight Club. Ed Norton talks about calculating the cost of recall versus lawsuits and other consumer problems. A lot of people are angry at EA but if a decent percentage of consumers:
    A) Keeps clicking on those stupid, in-game banners for micro-transactions while being under EA’s surveillance for future study and micro offers
    B) Are added thanks to offensive anti-piracy measures, then all of this is good in EA’s mind. They make the most money in short term and seeing how people always forget, they will probably benefit in the long term as well. The only casualties are the passionate gamers and poor devs.

7. chillin

Simcity really is an amazing game
    I play this game for almost 10 hours and is just amazing

I’m glad i didn’t return this video game.

Thanks Stephany

8. OwnedWhenStoned

I hope the free game is SimCity 4

9. DSB

@6 Time will tell. Simcity and Diablo are both mega franchises, and I would think that both are worth considerably less after this.

They’re now associated with these disasters, and the games themselves are soundly mediocre even without the networking woes.

Blizzard were definitely spooked following D3, more than I’ve ever seen, and I think at least Maxis are horrified at what they’ve done.

Whether that will actually rise to the executive aisle remains to be seen though. Corps are dumb.

10. ps3fanboy

And now people will roll over and forget it ever happened, because hey! Free games! And then they’ll go and get screwed YET again the next time, but hey! IT’S FREEEEEEE GAAAAAAAAMES… ONLY IDIOTS BITE ON THIS!.

How about people get a spine and actually stand up against these greedy bastards!. I see a lot of people here say i only will by this game and that game from EA. YOU will be a part of THIS problem if you do, SAY NO and vote with your wallet. Or else you are just going to get more of this bullshit in the future.

11. Froseidon

@10 You’re an idiot. I know I shouldn’t feed the troll but what the hell. EA is an extremely large corporation and people who are vocal against EA are a very small minority. There are gamers who don’t participate in the community and will still buy, not paying any attention to boycotting that people plan.

People wont boycott EA, they say they will. but then games like Fifa and Battlefield come out and people forget all about their so called boycotting.

I swear to god the gaming community is the dumbest community I have ever seen.

Even if you do manage to boycott them (which you wont, because people are full of air and nothing more), you will barely affect them, they are gaining money off of other companies as well (like Valve for example, as EA distribute all of Valve’s games).

Also @4 – yes, it does cost them, every game they give away isn’t a sale. They also have to pay for the upkeep of the digital storage in which they allow you to DL the game from. You’re statement is rather flawed.

12. Pytox

Maybe the free game is Simpsons: Tapped Out :p

13. DSB

@11 A lost sale isn’t lost profit. It’s just a hypothetical on a piece of paper.

The expense involved for EA is going to be considerably less than if they had done the right thing and offered a refund as soon as they realized the extent of their fuck-up.

14. Froseidon

@13 – they have lost potential profit by not making that sale, therefore their profit margin’s are not as great. They will have lost a % of the profit (however meager) that they could have had by selling the game rather than giving it away.

15. ps3fanboy

#11 Froseidon

I HAVE ALREADY BOYCOTTED EA AND THESE GREEDY FECS AIN’T GETTING MY MONEY ANYMORE. IT IS THAT EASY. YEAH I WILL LOSE OUT ON A FEW GAMES, AND THAT I AM OKAY WITH. BECAUSE THERE ARE GAME COMPANIES OUT THERE MORE WORTHY MY CASH, I GLADLY PAY FOR THEIR GAMES. I AM FINISHED WITH EA FOR GOOD, AND TO BE HONEST IT IS A RELIEF. I SUGGEST ALL TO DROP EA GAMES, BECAUSE IF YOU BUY THEIR GAMES YOU WILL BE A PART OF THE PROBLEM TOO. SO DON’T BE A SUCKER, IT’S TIME TO SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

16. Cobra951

@11: Are you saying that the entire community here is only representative of a small vocal minority? Because only you and perhaps one other person comes in here to defend this atrocious corporation. Everyone else is rightfully slamming it.

17. G1GAHURTZ

Down with EA!!

Booooooooo!!

18. DSB

@14 It sounds a bit hollow to be accusing others of ignorance when you’re using economy that shoddy.

“Potential profit” has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of loss. It’s purely imaginary.

Could’ve had, should’ve had, would’ve had. You can sit in a recliner and lament over it as an individual, but for business purposes it doesn’t exist. It is zero dollars and zero cents.

What matters to EA is that they’re keeping those 60 bucks and paying for them with a little bit of extra bandwidth. It’s still a good deal for them.

19. NeoSquall

@9 Must be nice living in your imaginary world, DSB.

@ps3fanboy: this is PC territory, kid, you don’t belong here.
    Go play in a park or whatever you do when you’re not trolling Xbox-related news.

20. DarkElfa

@19, Dude, please don’t tell others where they belong. It makes you sound like a douche and we all know you aren’t one.

He has a valid point. If people would stand up in larger numbers and stop allowing the carrot to entice them, we could make change.

21. DSB

@19 Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Which is the most imaginary part to you though?

Blizzard may have touted Diablo III as a succes publicly, but their devs were whining on Facebook, it only took an unimportant post from one of the original devs to rile them on the very highest level, and the lead designer basically went as far as he could without openly apologizing for the game, and has now left the project entirely.

It may have been a commercial succes, but it was clearly a disaster in every other way. I’ve never seen Blizzard cop to a mistake before, so I’d say that makes it pretty huge.

I think it’s more than slightly optimistic to think that all 7 million would buy that game a second time. I wouldn’t.

22. _LarZen_

So many gamers are outright pathetic! If something is not working or a game ends in a way you don’t like you rage on the internet like little children.

You are PATHETIC!

If people in general was like you we would have anarchy in the world. But thank God, most people are not as dumb in the heads as you lot are.

I just hope you are children as it seams most of you are in the way you write. Because if you are adults you should be ashamed of yourself and your parents should be ashamed for raising dumb fucks as you.

Sorry for the language but there is no nice words to use against the stupidity being shown from so many gamers.

Pathetic!

EDIT: This rambling is aimed at several commenting sections, sites,forums etc. So not necessarily this article. And again, sorry for the language but I am starting to outright dislike nay hate how some people are reacting.

23. mistermogul

I have boycotted EA and will do until they lose DRM for single player games with server-side saves. It is the principle of the this that bothers me. They are screwing their paying, loyal fans to get back at pirates and that is simply not fair.

I agree fully with Dan Stapleton @ ign:

@ 22 – Why don’t you actually put your points across rather than abuse people with meaningless dribble?

24. Talkar

How do you know it is mediocre? You’ve said yourself in a previous statement you are boycotting all EA games. So that must surely mean you haven’t bought this game. And if you haven’t bought this, how can you have tried it? And if you haven’t tried it, how can you have an opinion on how good or bad it is?

25. JB

@22, so if you buy something that doesn`t work – it`s pathetic to complain and complaining will lead to anarchy – lol ^_^

Stoopid gamers indeed.

How do you feel about surveys, market reseach and focus groups btw?

26. xxJPRACERxx

This board should be 18+ with an age verification process. I’m sick of reading ps3fanboy BS.

27. Dragon246

I completely agree with what CliffyB said earlier- vote with you wallets.
    Unfortunately, people aren’t. Both Diablo 3 and Simcity have 2 things in common- they have always on DRM, and they are selling/sold well.
    They wont change a damn thing unless their spreadsheets get a tinge of red, and trust me, that works wonders.

28. xxJPRACERxx

It’s a copy/paste from what I’ve wrote in another thread:
    ———————————————————————–
    What I’ve called impossible is for things to always work the 1st time. In anything, not just games, some things just don’t work the 1st time. It can be a new car, a problem with a brand new house, a new law, etc…

Just to be clear, I’m not pro-EA. It could be any other company and I would do the same.

When Sony servers were hacked and down I defended Sony while people were saying they would never buy a Sony product again and “Sony sucks”…

Same thing with Activision and Diablo 3.

I’m not defending EA just because it’s EA, I’m defending them because I hate when I read all these stupid comments by people that think they’re experts in technology, better than everyone and think they’re kings and everything should work how they decided it should. And if not they cry like little babies. Spoiled child!

You can hate EA for many reasons but this launch is an isolated incident. I like EA games, they’re doing fine PC games and good ports and all my EA games work correctly, except SimCity. But considering all the other games I have from them that work correctly I know they’ll fix SimCity too. And it’s a good game.

I’m sure EA learned their lesson with this. If something like this would happen again in a close time frame I won’t take their defense anymore. But like I’ve written plenty of time, shit happens and I can accept that!

29. DSB

@24 Actually, I have a friend (with more money than sense) who has a duplicate account he lets others borrow, so I’ve had the opportunity to play it without it ever touching my own account.

My opinion is purely based on playing it a few hours, but in those few hours what I got was a mix of Cityville, The Sims and Simcity, which just wasn’t very satisfying at all.

The idea is to care for a tiny town (although there’s no chance of actually expanding like there would be in Cityville) doing trade with other tiny towns, cultivating your neighbourhoods Caesar/Anno style, and otherwise just watching people go about their daily business, or doing generic quests.

It’s quite dumbed down compared to the earlier games, and it’s currently full of bugs. Trading doesn’t work right and the simulation of traffic is beyond bad. As far as impressions go, I would much rather be playing Simcity 4. It would probably appeal to the Cityville/Sims crowd though.

My own Origin account consists of Battlefield 3 and The Saboteur. The Saboteur was bought before it became clear that EA were cutting out other platforms (and before Origin was called Origin) and my very poor excuse for buying Battlefield 3 is that my brother insisted that he’d buy it for me if I didn’t do it myself. So I was clearly “forced” ;)

30. OrbitMonkey

I’m not a pc gamer, but I feel the pain of you dweebs! Or course I fully expect your hardline stance to crumble like a sandcastle at hightide when BF4 is shown :-)

31. Froseidon

@15 – You having no impact on EA except for single digit game sales they will not miss.

@16 – No, that’s not what I am saying, I am saying there is a part of the gaming community that we don’t see or hear from who are much larger than the vocal side of the community. The 15 or so people here are not the entire gaming community. There are people who buy games who never engage in the community side, and nor will they hear of this situation, and if they did, they wouldn’t care that much.

@18 – Find the word “ignorance” or anything relating to it in my post. Admittedly, saying the statement was flawed was a little too far. I merely said they will lose out on some profit, which they will. It can’t be argued that they will lose out. I never stated how much they will lose, and I agree, what they will lose will be unnoticeable in their finances.

@22 – The anger from people is understandable. If you buy a product that doesn’t work, you either want it working or a refund. However, people are a little impatient and wont wait for them to fix the servers. Gamers tend to think there is an instant fix to something, and if there isn’t, it is utter trash.

32. DSB

@31 It’s completely hypothetical whether they will lose or not, since there’s no telling whether people would’ve actually bought those games on their own accord.

That’s why it would never be used in any economic sense. The variables are endless and there’s positively no telling. The imaginary loss could be anywhere between zero or five million billion, and you’re really just projecting your own expectation between the two.

If they were giving people physical games or refunds, then you could start to talk about a loss.

Another example of imaginary economics would be to suggest that giving games away somehow sells new ones. Maybe someone will pick up the original Dead Space, love it, and buy either 2, or both 2 and 3 as a result.

It’s purely imaginary, and you have no way of proving or disproving that.

33. Froseidon

@32 – Hence why I said the loss would be meager (and by meager, I didn’t mean it was still noticeable). I also meant loss of potential profit, not an outright loss. They wont go into the red on a cash flow for this.

34. _LarZen_

@31 Yes it is understandable that people are angry, I was not a happy gamer when Diablo 3 came out with all the problems connecting either.

It seams people have no idea how big or how much work there is having a server park running stable and ready for millions of people. Is it a excuse for EA?

No, but most people with that in mind takes a breather and gives it a few days for the tech heads to work it out. Not going postal on the internet like they have no life other then playing that particular game right away.

And in the end we PC gamers has brought this on our self. Millions are pirating games and this is one of the resoults of it…it’s time we as gamers face the consequence of our actions.

35. DSB

@34 Those of us who buy our games legally should accept being punished by publishers, because others don’t?

It doesn’t make any sense, and it doesn’t prevent piracy. It does give me a pretty good reason not to touch those games though.

The music industry had that approach for years. “Buy music according to our ancient customs or say hello to an army of lawyers”. All it did was lose their marketshare to torrents who were providing people with a better service than they were.

It’s not until very recently that they’ve been able to provide something approaching the same service, and as a result they’ve now started to turn losses into profits.

36. heroes159

I was not online for 10 hours.I knew when im logging onto VG247, im gonna see a thread about Simcity. After seeing the title, I thought WOW, that real generous work from EA. I thought atleast now people will stop whine about EA for now. BUT WHEN I STARTED reading comments,

NO NO NO> PEOPLE STILL BOYCOTTING EA.

Cant believe this. as everyone can see, Maxis /EA never saw thought this game will sold like this. You can see,how much server load happened on the launch day from their words. They misjudged it. game getting fixed now. its only 4 days. Just calm down.

37. Talkar

Okay fair enough. I still think that playing a game like SimCity for a few hours isn’t enough to have a whole idea of how good or bad it is. But atleast it is better than than those stating their opinion without having even tried it :)

38. ps3fanboy

KICK EA IN THE BALLS WHILE THEY ARE DOWN!! GREEDY FECS DIIIIIIIIIIE!

39. DSB

@37 Yeah that’s fair enough. It is mindbogglingly simple though. It’s not like there’s a plot twist or a mechanic that was somehow locked away for later.

It was really just a question of waiting, planning better and seeing how far you could make your buildings grow. Pretty basic Caesar/Anno stuff.

40. heroes159

@ 38 can u plz stop you Troll posts. This is a thread that grownups having a nice conversation. 12 years old kids arnt allowed here. plz go & post on Activition forums maybe.

41. NeoSquall

@20 Dude, it’s saturday, I’m supposed to be resting (ie. playing at “sane” hours instead of 1-2am) and instead I’m working (actually writing about Stringer’s retirement for the site I work for).
    I have no will to make articulate arguments to people whose maximum syntactic achievement is “KICK EA IN THE BALLS WHILE THEY ARE DOWN!! GREEDY FECS DIIIIIIIIIIE!”

The fact is simple.
    We knew almost from the start that the game was going to have always on DRM.
    I personally hoped that EA would create a network structure able to withstand the many connections that would be made on release day, but sadly EA let us down, or likely the people in charge with the network have let EA and everyone else down.

It’s both their fault for not setting up the necessary amount of servers and bandwidth, and EA’s for not pushing up the release day when even the reviewers network wasn’t working perfectly.

I think EA is in enough trouble now that the damage is done: they have stopped the marketing campaign, they are giving out free games on Origin (and they DO COST ANYWAY), and it’s undeniable many potential buyers will wait many weeks (months?) before purchasing the game, if at all.
    This means heavy repercussions in EA’s FY2013 and FY2014 earnings. We’re talking millions of $, not just your 60$.

Going beyond and boycotting EA “just because” is purely immature, a consequence of people not knowing what’s behind the games they play (or ignoring the stories people like Stephany, Dave, Pat, etc. duly report).

One thing is me throwing shit at Activision because its CEO is a greedy bastard that killed every other franchise in their portfolio to focus in just CALL OF DUTY CALL OF DUTY CALL OF DUTY (although I purchased Prototype 2 at day one and loved it) and another is people boycotting all EA games because they fucked up with one release.

This failure, though, should be a warning sign for the big publishers and hardware manufacturers about the next-gen and the digital divide around the world.
    Before discarding the physical media and going “full online” in the next-gen, these people should take in account the costs of setting up the required network infrastuctures, or else face dire failure.
    I haven’t read Dan Stapleton’s piece (no time), but I think we share some view points.

42. Froseidon

@41 – SOMEONE SPEAKS SENSE! CHECK THE SKIES, ARE THE PIGS FLYING YET?

43. The_Red

And since IGN did a piece, not it’s GameSpot’s turn:

(Love the Sonic 2 pic though)

44. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated with tweets from Bradshaw – apparently, Maxis has no intention “at this time” of taking the game offline, but they are “definitely looking” into it.

45. The_Red

Thanks for the update.

Sadly, they already had to sacrifice the city size in favor of always online so, regardless of that patch / decision, part of SimCity charm (As a series) is already lost.

46. NightCrawler1970

Feel bad for Maxis, those game-devs busted there asses for 10 years(to make SimCity 5) and EA screwed up less in 1 minutes… i really hoped that Maxis become independence again and public there own games like the early age…

47. viralshag

Usual “passionate gamer” over reaction. Yeah there was a few problems, it’s still a great game.

Depending on what the game offered actually is, Erth was right and you could be offered absolutely nothing for your troubles.

And this is only because it’s EA as usual. No one kicked up half as much of a problem when GW2 wasn’t accessible at first. Same old same old, selective gamer hate at its best.

48. silkvg247

I guess i’m in the minority.. I want the game but found the pricing extortionate. That put me off more than anything, so I’m just gonna wait a few months and get it when it’s fairly priced.

49. Talkar

Completely agree with you there. The price for SimCity is extremely high. I wasn’t going to purchase it. Then i got a call last week that i got a new job and then i bought it instantly x) But yeah, the price is outragous IMO.

50. DSB

@47 Don’t get me wrong, it is better than nothing, and EA didn’t have to do it. There was no obligation. If it makes people feel better, great.

I just think Froseidon was kidding himself if he didn’t also see the benefit to EA of doing this, as opposed to offering refunds. It’s ridiculous to call it a sacrifice when EA are still keeping peoples money.

A refund would cost them 60 dollars, this costs them a bit of extra bandwidth and keeps them comfortably in the plus.

It’s very clever, and kudos for that, but it’s also a means to avoid making the genuine sacrifice.

51. Phoenixblight

Can’t give a refund to those that bought the game digitally, hell even physical because you still keep the game. Even though I have returned Rage to Amazon I still can play it. The user is essentially getting a game for free if a refund is given.

52. DSB

@52 That’s hardly impossible to verify. If they can track people ingame, they can track them on their client too. Incompetence just isn’t a very satisfying excuse.

53. Phoenixblight

I can’t return a PC game to any of the big chain stores even Gamestop and Amazon seem to be catching on as well.

Steam would be able to do this but they don’t and if they don’t, I don’t see anyone else doing it. And no there is no way to actually verify this. If I bought the game physically for a friend and gave it to him how is EA going to find out who I gave it to? The code is not placed on the disc, You still have to manually enter the code in so how is EA going to verify anything and how would they remove or block it? They go in your machine and force an uninstall?

Its pretty obvious EA doesn’t have any type of system to handle this as if you were to force a charge back they block your entire account. Not the game that is being refunded, no, your entire account with all the EA games attached.

54. DSB

@54 I’m assuming you missed the part where EA were in fact offering refunds for physical copies within 14 days, just not for digital.

Hell, EA and Ubisoft seem to be doing that even without actually trying.

Like I said, being incompetent isn’t an excuse.

55. Phoenixblight

“Hell, EA and Ubisoft seem to be doing that even without actually trying.

Like I said, being incompetent isn’t an excuse.”

Snarky remark? That is just server which effects everyone what we are talking about is individually.

“You know just as well as I do that it would be pretty easy to block a game from being played if you truly wanted to.”

Again Steam doesn’t do this once a game is bought and is installed you can’t get a refund for the game. If steam is not doing this then I don’t see anyone else doing it. You are just grabbing at straws. Everyone knows that plays on a PC that there is no used market and you can’t get a refund especially digitally. You just seem to be grabbing at things to sell the EA hate because its EA even though Steam the “savior” of the industry doesn’t do this you turn a blind eye to it.

56. Talkar

That is not completely true. If you offer your firstborn and your own sould to Valve they will consider giving a refund for a 5$ game ;)

57. DSB

@56 Steam is just as wrong for not doing it. How is that an argument for anything. Two wrongs make a right now?

Steam isn’t the one happilly selling people a broken game, and they quite recently issued refunds for The War Z.

Where’s the EA refund, champ?

58. Phoenixblight

“quite recently issued refunds for The War Z.”

Probably because of it not being an actual game. I have bought more then a few games through steam that have been broken and wouldn’t play and have asked for a refund. DId they give me one? Nope instead the cite their policy on returns and refunds.

My whole point about Steam not doing that is the entire PC market doesn’t do it so if you are going to get pissed at something get pissed at that instead of pointing the fingers at one particular publisher. I know how you love to hate EA but its getting old.

The server issues seemed to be squashed now as my wife and I were able to play all day yesterday. The game is fantastic and I am glad I bought it, probably should have waited a few days before purchasing it but that pain is over with now.

59. DSB

@59 Do you have any opinion on the Simcity trainwreck, or are we happy just running interference for EA and talking about Steam instead?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had the exact same thing happen when I bought RAGE and it turned out to be a barely playable pile of broken code and graphics glitches. I’m not happy with that, and they should’ve taken it back.

The time for the classic “My game is running fine, so everybody else must be spoiled” has really long since passed. Not even EA try to run with that one. I tried to convince myself of the exact same thing with Diablo III. In retrospect that was mighty dumb. At the end of the day, broken game is broken.

60. Phoenixblight

Well I was able to play multiplayer with friends yesterday that have purchased the game as well and if I can play and they can play. I am happy. I could honestly care less about the rest of the people.

The first few days I was pretty livid but that anger was gone once I was able to play for more than a few hours without it crashing. The wife seems to be the same way but now we have moved on and making our cities. And that’s really all it comes down to. EA will have learnt a lesson from this and the next time they want to do an always on connection they will make sure its hammered down but so far EA is ahead of Blizzard since D3 by this time I was still having issues.

All we seem to be doing right now is fighting over our opinions which are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

61. DSB

@61 Diablo 3 was stable for me within 48 hours, and then there was almost a full day after that where it didn’t work, so I guess that just goes to show the general value of anecdotes.

I’d be surprised if EA or Activision have learned jack shit from those disasters. Both companies opted for an always-online system in games that never truly benefitted from them. All they did was break their respective products in the most embarrassing fashion.

For Ubisoft it took several disasters like that to actually get a clue.

.. And I’m sure it’ll still be profitable. Don’t tell me Kotick or Ricitiello actually give a fuck about their reputations at this point. If they did, there would’ve been refunds.

62. Cobra951

“. . . I could honestly care less about the rest of the people.

“The first few days I was pretty livid but that anger was gone once I was able to play . . .”

63. YoungZer0

“The sad, sad reality. Out of sight, out of mind. Back to business as usual. Who cares how much outfits like EA screw consumers as long as you’re happy, right?”

Yep, yep, yep, yep.

64. Phoenixblight

?? I am a consumer and I happy with the game now that the server issues seem to not be an issue to me,the wife or friends. I don’t see any screwing over. I just see a company that tried something and it not working as intended and Maxis seem to be working on that issue along with giving the consumers a freebie. That’s a whole lot more than I have seen Blizzard do with Diablo 3 or Rage with the driver issues not to mention charging 60$ for a tech demo.

EA is a company that’s entire existence is to make a profit off entertainment so the only way they will learn is by people not buying their games. I bought the game and I enjoyed it so I don’t see me as being a consumer being screwed over other than a few days of potential game time being lost.

65. manamana

You know your dreamcar is selling soon, after many years of waiting time you finally can get your hands on it. You take a couple of days vacation to drive to your new girlfriend to brag a bit and take her to the drive-in theatre. EA is selling you this brandnew car. You happily drive the car from their property but it stutters at the next intersection. You call them, tehy tell you that they are sorry and they will as soon as possible send a mechanic but meanwhile you should walk home or take the bus as the car is in no way reliable. You call your girlfriend, that it’s getting late…

Your car isn’t working for a couple of days now, you called EA a couple of times and you get the answer that they are working on the problem and you can get your car back, if you want, but it’ll only drive in first gear. You imagine your girlfriend on the passenger seat, while low riding in first gear…

Seeing that you spend the last days at home instead with your new girlfriend (who is pissed), you tell them that you sue the heck out of them, if you don’t get to drive your car properly until coming weekend! Meanwhile the same story happend to a lot of other people and it’s on big news sites around the globe. EA isn’t happy with their bad press and so they tell you that they are willing to compensate your anger and that you can choose from their used car department. You know, the rusty ones…

Finally it’s weekend, you get your car back, it’s working, albeit the wiper blades are scratching the windshield if you use them and the horn makes a sound as if an elephant farts. But yeah, at least you can finally drive with your baby to the drive-in theatre. Where you notice that, once you pulled the handbrake-lever it gets stucked. But hey, at least you are stucked in good circumstances, with your new darling and your new car under the moonlight of a romantic drive-in theatre…

/the end

66. ps3fanboy

EA CAN KISS MY ASS, I’M DONE WITH THESE GREEDY FECS!

67. Phoenixblight

Car analogies don’t work, its not the same thing. Car is something that gets you to work and to your gf, where a game is just that a game. Plus a game is not over ten grand to play also not as essential as a car is.

68. DSB

Jesus, once the corporations manage to brainwash people into thinking that broken shit is actually your problem, you know something is very very wrong.

I guess you’re all in the wrong here. What we should do is just hand EA 60 bucks, and not expect anything in return. What, you don’t just want to buy the game, you actually want to play it too? Who do you think you are, the King of Siam?

There are servers involved, guys. Nevermind why, or who put them there, the fact that they’re there completely justifies any inability you may have to actually play your game, and disowns you of any right to be miffed.

So stop acting like spoiled brats. You have no appreciation for the privileges you’re afforded by your corporate overlords. Now please be a good piece of 60 dollar chattel and shut your mouth, so Johnny Ric(h)itiello can count your money in peace.

69. Phoenixblight

THis is how the industry is going if you would go to developer centric conferences you would see the theme with games becoming a service and they controlling the distributions. Like or leave it that’s how its going to be. Activision,EA,Ubisoft are just starting the trend and its obviously working.

70. DSB

Like a lot of commentators are pointing out, if you aren’t able to deliver an actual service, then you won’t be able to sell it either. I don’t see the benefit in being unable to play a product I paid for.

Diablo III and Simcity are now infamous titles, more than they are famous ones.

If EA and Activision want to prove that they’re every bit as tonedeaf and boneheaded as Ubisoft, they should definitely continue to degrade the quality of the entertainment they provide, in order to live out their very own braindead executive pipedreams.

They’ll just bleed out quicker that way, and the longer they keep going that way, the less they’ll be missed.

71. Phoenixblight

Never said it was good as with anything that is setting a trend there are growing pains. Steam was absolutely broken when it first launched and everyone at that period of time was saying it would never become popular.

72. DSB

The difference is that Steam was an both a logical step and a brilliant idea. It literally changed gaming.

You can hardly say the same for online systems that no one asked for, getting shoehorned into games where they never belonged.

I was genuinely optimistic and I defended Diablo III because I thought it was an awesome idea to have a highly connected multiplayer ARPG-as-MMO. But it wasn’t even close. It was a halfassed ARPG, with arbitrary multiplayer that was all about playing through the same content five times.

If you want to get serious about games-as-a-service you first have to get serious about games. I’m just not seeing it. Simcity seems every bit as unambitious as Diablo III. For one it’s called Simcity, when all you get to manage is a suburb, at most. And it’s full of bugs even when you can play it.

If they’re serious about making it an industry standard, they should act like it. Showing up with too few and untested servers for the umpteenth time just makes them look like a bunch of losers.

73. Phoenixblight

You haven’t played it and that is pretty obvious so I am not going listen to your rant about the game especially heresay. I found it to be a step up especially with the multiplayer and you having control over entire region which forces you to collaborate between all the cities. I haven’t seen any bugs within the game so I am not going to comment on those. You just seem to be going for EA blood. Whatever floats your boat.

“umpteenth time ”

Uh this is Ea’s first time using an always on connection. SO yeah where is this umpteenth time? You are just drinking your daily hate-orade.

74. DSB

I have played it, although just for a few hours. It’s a pretty superficial mix of Cityville, The Sims and Simcity, and I’m obviously not the only one who thinks so.

Some of the games all too obvious shortcomings are detailed here,here, and here.

While it may be EAs first fuck-up, they’re joining Activision and Ubisoft in having tried the exact same thing only to gloriously crash and burn.

Ubisoft kept at it, but after failing something like four or five times, they finally quit. The count on EA has officially begun.

75. Phoenixblight

I have read reviews of it and the rants and really I seem to not be playing the same game because I don’t see the failings listed.

THe thing about Games becoming a service is that there needs an infrastructure to support it and we aren’t quite there yet. This is EA’s first time doing it and now they have to run with it for Simcity 5. Next time they consider it they will have this to remind them.

76. NightCrawler1970

@75, that poor bastard that owns a i7 cant play Sim City, *Sob*, he spended over $1000,- for a computer and 2x SLI GPX card, and the game start to crapping all over the place…

I guess he have to upgrade his computer into the new Chip-set i9 :D hopefully problem solves…