SimCity: a day in a working city

Friday, 8th March 2013 17:37 GMT By Sam Clay

SimCity, sadly, hasn’t launched well in the US due to server issues. Across the pond however, we’re all playing it happily. VG247′s Sam Clay spends a day in the city.

Ironically, being British, we’ve got nothing to complain about today – I’ve had a perfect experience with SimCity, it’s working just fine.

I thought I’d spend a decent few hours today getting stuck in to a new build. I’ve captured the footage and produced a sort of diary, which you can watch above.

Having played a good 5-6 hours today, it’s easy to spot what makes SimCity great. For one it’s a lot easier, at least I feel as though I’m not full out failing like I have done in previous games. In fact, I actually feel like I’m ‘winning’.

They’ve simplified the systems in a way for anyone to understand ‘what’s going wrong’. You can go through the overlaying maps to spot where you need to improve and the game tool-tips you accordingly on how to fix your problems. The only difficulty is now working out ‘what to do next’.

It’s gone from being hard to start a city to now being a nightmare to grow into a bigger space.

Once you’ve planned out even more residential areas, annoyingly people have demands – bloody people, always complaining. It’s this that causes you trouble. Micro-managing everything. You’d have to be clever to keep up with it all.

For example, thankfully I’ve been saved by a neighbouring city, otherwise my place would be ablaze right now due to the fact I’ve only have one fire engine for hours. Dangerous I know, but I was simply assuming all my sims’ ‘logistical skills’ were high enough to not cause house fires – sadly not, people have been burning their houses, and sandwiches, to the ground.

Fixing one problem then basically makes you forget what you were doing prior to unblocking the sewage systems. I should be taking notes.

I ended today’s playthrough with ‘breaking news’ – yep, earthquakes strikes.

Balls to it. I wish I had the brain of a mayor and not a 7-year old child.

1. Stephany Nunneley

The video isn’t live just yet – what with YouTube and its rendering etc.

Please stand by.

#1 1 year ago
  2. AlchemyFire

Hardly been able to connect to any of the servers, those that do work disconnect whilst loading the tutorial.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sam Clay

@2 it is rather sad that’s for sure. I’ve been waiting for ages for this release and for it to be plagued by this is a total meh.

Hopefully give it the weekend and we’ll be safe.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Giskard

@2,3 I had those problems yesterday, but today I can connect without any hassle, have been playing for quite a while.

It is a really good game, though. Too bad about the lousy day one server issues. Hopefully once it evens out, people will actually enjoy the game for what it is, and not just blindly blame EA for everything.

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

I’m still having trouble but I’m not going to write the game off yet. From what I saw in the tutorial (the only thing I have been able to do so far) I think I could get into this.

It’s my fault really for buying and wanting to play an always online game first day. Obviously I have learnt nothing from D3, GW2, and any other MMO launch previously.

#5 1 year ago
  6. HauntaVirus

EA blows.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

@5 too true. However, its about time publishers started to invest in some hard ware because its unfair to punish people who actually want to play your game.

Its common sense really. If you’ve sold X amount of copies as pre-orders, allow for slippage, produced another X amount of copies, X+X= capacity required.

Either the systems they are employing are very outdated and sluggish or they need to fire whoever is incharge of their online support services.

#7 1 year ago