SimCity cities to be expanded in the future

Friday, 1st March 2013 21:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SimCity director Ocean Quigley has said the cities in the game will be come larger at some point, but he doesn’t know exactly when. Speaking with Inc Gamers, Quigley said the smaller-sized cities at launch were a “performance decision” and once “mainstream computers become more capable,” Maxis could “certainly make the city sizes larger.” SimCity will be available March 8. Thanks, Shack.

1. Yoshi

That’s certainly no confirmation XD More like he was just saying it just to say it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lightmanone

This is just stupid. I bet you that next week there the PC version will already be cracked and high end gaming PC’s will have no trouble simulating the whole thing with no internet access etc.
    I think it’s full of bullshit what EA is saying about “needing the servers to calculate everything”.

I think it’s a trick to make sure the always on internet connection is “justified”.

Whatever. We’ll see next week when EA is groveling through the dust again.

#2 1 year ago
  3. aprotosis

Tells you that their priorities are screwed when they opt to have smaller cities because they want to simulate every sim’s desire to take a bowel movement. I don’t give a rat’s ass that “John” lives in this specific house right here and he is on his way to work. What I do care about is that because my city borders are tiny, John has to live right next to a sewage treatment plant.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

Number 1 best seller. They will be grovelling all the way to the bank.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

@4 …. in PC Simulation games. Beating blockbusters like Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Stronghold HD.

Really though, there’s no way Simcity isn’t going to sell, but could it be better? Could it sell more if it was?

#5 1 year ago
  6. BD

My mainstream computer is already capable.

Where are my large cities?

#6 1 year ago
  7. hitnrun

@2: Unfortunately (or not?), the publishers have finally found that they can beat the internet if they have the nerve to use the nuclear option of the always-on requirement. Always-on allows them to keep vital game processes server-side. Sure, there are determined hackers who try to mimic the processes and defiant players who play on the poorer quality servers, but it’s never quite as good going back to Everquest.

@5: An interesting point and one I agree with, but no one ever lost their job or a bonus over a negative that can’t be proven, which is all the shot callers at EA care about.

My given example is Diablo 3. It sold 11 million copies so it’s obvious Blizzard was right to keep half the code server-side and that the game was a success…except it doesn’t. Diablo 2 sold just as many copies 10 years earlier, and did so before the gaming boom and before World of Warcraft, whose captive audience was the focus of huge cross-promotion.

Oh, SimCity? Yeah, that’s a load of crap, everyone that has paid even the vaguest attention to This Sims in the last 13 years knows how this is going to work. Big City expansion coming right up. Cute trick with the technical excuse though. Good PR.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TMRNetShark

I’m sorry, but can I play offline? Noo…. Will I likely still buy the game? Maybe… Will I hope to video gaming gods that mods will somehow allow me to build more to my city then just the stupid “limitations” they impose? I mean come on, they are claiming “mainstream computers” can’t handle it? Most computers sold today have 4-8 GBs of RAM and at least 512-1024 MBs of VRAM. Where is the bottle neck? OHHH, it’s your publisher? Gotcha.

#8 1 year ago
  9. El_MUERkO

don’t buy it, they’ll suddenly find a ‘fix’ or ‘performance enhancement’ that will allow an offline mode and cities instead of small towns

#9 1 year ago
  10. heroes159

@ 5 Actually Sim city is Best Sellers in PC Games & Hardware on Amazon.com. Its on TOP.

#10 1 year ago
  11. xXNapsterManXx

i smell Micro Transaction to Expand Citys

#11 1 year ago
  12. Shokaku

Why u ppl trying to say, that Maxis is lying about this case? The amount of simulation calculations in this game is just HUGE. They recommend to use Intel Core i5 just for the 2km x 2km city, even if this game got poor graphic. If they would now made 8km x 8km citis, what processor would they recommend? Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme 3.5GHz ?

Maybe the engine (GlassBox) is poor optimized and maybe this is the problem.

P.S. #8 “mainstream computers” are not those sold today. Most SimCity players are casual gamers with 5-8 years old PCs with poor preformences.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lightmanone

@12 How about an Intel i7-3770 combined with an overclocked HD7950 with 3GB of GDDR5 RAM? Does that suffice for an 12×12 KM grid? I think it would.

Sure, not everybody can run that grid. Thing is, the people that truly want big and huge cities would realise you need a big chunck of metal to process that data… And I am one of those people.
    But what EA is saying is that you kind of need a supercomputer to even do the small scale cities and that is just bullsh*t.

#13 1 year ago
  14. heroes159

only 3 days People. we can all see how it goes.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

@10 Yeah I saw that afterwards. It’s ahead of Tomb Raider, but for some reason Amazons list doesn’t seem to be showing stuff like Bioshock Infinite, so I guess we can deduce that it’s somewhat incomplete.

@13 Yeah, I haven’t played it so I can’t really say.

Nobody wants a Civilization-style slowdown, but to me those games were always about expansion. Once you run out of room to expand, the game is over.

Maybe Simcity does a pretty good job of making that interesting too, but I’m not in the market for an Origin exclusive.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Peffy

Btw, release in worldwide:

Tuesday, 5th March 2013

North America
    Hungary

Thursday, 7th March 2013

European Nations (except Hungary, Ireland, United Kingdom)
    South Africa
    Republic of China
    Russia
    Australia
    Japan
    Central Asia
    India
    New Zealand

Friday, 8th March, 2013

United Kingdom
    Ireland

#16 1 year ago
  17. rusty_shackleford

Oh look, EA hoping to sell a game solely on bought-out brand recognition and millions in marketing!

What could go wrong