Halo: Master Chief “not going away” but 343 wants to look elsewhere

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 02:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo’s new guardians 343 Industries hope they can tell stories which don’t necessarily centre on franchise poster boy Master Chief.

Speaking to Polygon, 343′s Kiki Wolfkill said it was “important” for Matser Chief to return in halo 4 after being absent from ODST and Reach, but that he’s not necessarily going to appear in every game from now on.

“He’s always going to be a pretty critical component of Halo and the game experiences. I would hope that we could also build strength and investment in other characters, for no other reason than that’s part of what makes the universe interesting,” she said.

“Master Chief’s not going away, but we need to be able to give people more connection points.”

343 Industries is proud of Halo 4 and feels it was an important “first step” in proving to fans that it’s worthy of looking after the property, but it wants to innovate and tell its own stories.

“How we look at it is ‘Where do we want to be in ten years? What are the stories we want to tell?’” Wolfkill said.

“We have started to flesh out broad strokes of a few different arcs that are interesting. There could be opportunities where exploring a different game genre makes sense or exploring a different linear format makes sense. If the medium fits what we want to do, then we’ll definitely consider it. If there’s a great idea we get energized around [it].”

Thanks, Woe.

1. NocturnalB

I definitely like the idea behind it. Chief is getting to be an old man he can’t do it all forever. That being said 343 needs to step it up BIG TIME with properly telling the story. Halo 4 did not sit well with me. Not so much the direction they went but the lack of telling the story… And an actual fight instead of an action cut scene for a boss battle would be nice.

2. alterecho

All they need to do is look into one the Halo books to diversify. As far as i read, the Halo universe is not entirely Master Chief. He just happens to be the one that carries out important tasks. There are other Spartans in the Halo universe too. Halo Reach is an excellent example. There are many other Reach like important events that takes place.

3. manamana

Yeah, lets play as Dr. Halsey while she was young :-D

No really, I read all the books, bought all the OSTs (ofc not the last, as it’s mediocre) and watched and played all there is to see. And I can’t help but it’s universe is worn out on me. And 343 has done a great looking game but it played and felt differently and not to my likings.

4. Vice

Wh-what??! This is the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard from Halo developers, past or present (and I thought bungie with their “keyboard and mouse are absolete” comment took the “most retarded serious comment from a game developer ever” prize before). He IS the main hero of franchise. Halo-2 would be my favorite Halo if I didn’t have to play arbiter half of the game. I hate Reach, it was a gigantic disappointment. I want continuation of the main story with Chief and Cortana (oh come now, we all know she’s alive and fine). If they replace him in any of the main game in the series, they gonna lose alot of customers. I don’t think with the competition like Sony (the only reason I bought xbox in the first place were Halo-3/4) they can afford that risk.
    But hey! You know what, it might actually be good for me personally. I won’t have to buy new shitty console to enjoy one of my favorite game franchises.

5. melonbuster1

I love all the halo games and part 4 story was the best of the series. It made you feel for them. But hey you don’t like it keep your money. Millions of other people like myself will buy it trolls

6. NocturnalB

How did anything i said qualify me as a troll? I gave my opinion, you disliked it and labeled me a troll for saying something contrary to anything below “Halo is the best game ever made in history”.

7. Christopher Jack

I like the Halo universe but was disappointed, particularly with the ending, of Halo 4. I will continue playing it every now & then but the fact is it’s an overhyped franchise just like CoD. Not necessarily bad but I don’t feel that its sales really reflect its quality.

8. The Lord of Admirals

I enjoyed Halo 4 quite a bit, and believe they have great potential with it. And [SPOILERS] with the physical evolution from the Librarian I figured that the Chief would have an increase in life-span, which would knock out the whole age issue. But this article is very unsettling. Though I enjoy a good story about the other characters they are not Master Chief and never will hold the respect he does.
    I liked Spartan Ops, but they weren’t really all that important to me because there was no Chief. He makes Halo what it is, and if they turn from him as Bungie had (which I admit I did enjoy ODST but that also had to do with the voice actors mostly being from Firefly) then I will turn from 343i. No Chief, no Halo.

9. Butcher8

For me Halo 4′s campaign was the strongest main Halo campaign since Halo CE (ODST’s was stronger imo), so they certainly proved to me they are worthy stewards, mp wise I hear stirrings that it’s not up to snuff, but considering mp never holds my attention for more than a week anyway it’s not a big deal for me. Despite my fondness of Halo 4, their next game needs to be alot more ambitious.

Personally I hope they take alot of inspiration from the direction Bungie are taking their Destiny series, that would be the best way I can see to integrate sp and mp into one cohesive whole and in a way that I would actually play the mp, I spent hundreds of hours in wow’s pvp because of this kind of thinking.

I remember Bungie years ago saying how much wow had affected them and it defo shows with Destiny, here’s hoping 343 also have massive ambitions with the Halo universe, as just another cookie cutter Halo campaign and seperate mp affair on the 720 wouldn’t cut it for me anymore.