Witcher 3: Wild Hunt confirmed for PS4 release in 2014

Thursday, 21st February 2013 10:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt RED has confirmed that its open world RPG will hit PS4 in 2014, as well as other high-end consoles.

Speaking with Eurogamer, studio head Adam Badowski said, “We were thrilled when asked, several months ago, to be one of the developers who were granted early access to the PlayStation 4. It was an exciting moment to be invited to be in the company of other legendary developers like Bethesda, EA, LucasArts, Ubisoft or Activision as one of the teams working on titles shipping early in the PlayStation 4′s lifecycle.

“Of course, we couldn’t reveal any specifics about this to our fans, even though many journalists and forum members asked about when and how The Witcher might show up on Sony’s console. After yesterday’s PlayStation Meeting we can finally promise: The Witcher 3 is coming to the PlayStation 4.

“The new hardware gives us the opportunity to create something great. We are able to work with the new console from its birth and this allows our in-house REDengine 3 to push the graphical limits of what the PlayStation hardware can display. The console is fresh and has some innovative solutions that we’re looking forward to using in our game.”

What do you make of that then?

We covered the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt reveal at great length when it happened earlier this month. Check out everything that has been said, as well as debut screens here.

1. tezzer1985

I need to start Witcher 2, and see what all the fuss is about.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Takeshi

@1: Yep, you seriously need to do that.

I’ll definitely need to get a PS4 for various exclusives, but I think I’d rather spend some money right now on a high-end PC so I am good for a couple of years.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SameeR_Fisher

Hey Dave, this is exciting news, but if by any chance you make an interview with these guys, ask them if we -PS system player- will get The Witcher 1&2 as well, cause really as much as I want to play The Witcher 3, I need to play the first 2 titles first.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

It’s nice to see Sony using a much more 3rd party friendly CPU and architecture that means less 360 only games like Witcher 2. Also, good on them for actually going after these games.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Froseidon

@3 I have Witcher 2 on xbox (not even played Witcher 1) so I don’t think it’ll happen =/ We was rumoured to get it at one point but I don’t think it’s happening. If it does though, the PS4 might have my money. Really want to see when MS bring up at their reveal.

#5 1 year ago
  6. NooB GobliN

Great. Feel free to include a bonus copy of The Witcher 2 on PS4 as make good for it skipping PS3…

Please?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

Witcher 1 really don’t need any strong Computer in todays Standards. Everybody who has a PC or Laptop that can play it, give it a try. Its worth it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. SameeR_Fisher

@5: they have to bring it to the Playstation market, how can I jump on The Witcher 3 without knowing anything about the first 2 games ?!, beside it is a continuous story in a sense.

Also I am keeping hopeful, after all Mass Effect 1 made to the PS3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. freedoms_stain

@8, The parts of TW1 and TW2 that bear any relation to TW3: The Wild Hunt are extremely minor and can ( and probably will) be summed up in a short intro cutscene.

The main plot of TW1 revolves around Geralt (seemingly brought back from the dead and suffering from amnesia) attempting to reclaim secrets stolen from The Witchers. There is 1 quest in the entire game where The Wild Hunt is mentioned or involved.

The main plot of TW2 revolves around Geralt being framed for the assassination of King Foltest and trying to track down the real culprits. Over the course of the game Geralt recovers more and more snippets of his memories until he finally remembers what The Wild Hunt is and means. This is mainly told through text entries and animated cutscenes in the actual game, so you could actually get most of the pertinent information about TW2 in relation to TW3 from Youtube.

TW1 is pretty unlikely to ever come to consoles at this point. The original effort was out-sourced to another studio and shit-canned mid-development. TW3 really sounds like too big of a project for them to divert resources into breathing life back into that old dog.

I think the best you can hope for is that they get TW2 working on PS4.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SameeR_Fisher

@9: Thanks for the info, and you may be right, but who knows, for all I know Sony could support them with resources to make a Collection of The Witcher titles.

Though I still hope Dave get the chance to ask them, never hurt to know for sure.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OmegaSlayer

Yeah, pleas Dave, ask about Witcher 1 and 2 on behalf of PS fans.

#11 1 year ago
  12. theevilaires

Yes Yes Yes I finally get to play a Witcher game! I hope they port over 1 and 2 for PS4. Dude I’m so liking that the PS4 is closer to normal PC architecture now. That means we’ll probably get anything PC has had or will from now on.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@11 cool, I shall. I’ve been told I can’t speak with CD Projekt until the Game Informer exclusives finish. We’ll get something when we can.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

I think the only stuff that’s really valuable to know is the factions and the world. Know what a Witcher is, what a mage and a non-human is, and what the different kingdoms are and how they go together and you should have no problem.

Also Geralt is best buds with a dwarf and a bard. And he has a thing for elf chicks.

@9 The Wild Hunt is kinda the main plot of the first one though, through the kid. The whole plot was pretty much Star Wars Episodes 1-3, with the kid as Darth Vader and The Wild Hunt as the Dark Side of the force.

The Witcher 2 did an awful job of providing the backstory with Geralts lost love, but I thought that worked, because it stayed a mystery, and focused instead on the kingslaying.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Shinmenn

First witcher is nothing like SW… what kind of dumb idea is that?
    [SPOLERS]

Wild Hunt is after Alvin for the sake of the Aen Ichaer, the Elder Blood, they need for something that is known to all who have read the books. There is no reference to dark force whatsoever. Also Alvin is actualy the Grand Master of the Order, again explonaton how is that possible is in the books. The very nature of the Wild Hunt is main point here but again that would be a major spoiler to the upcomeing game but well known fact to the readers. What I can say that Wild Hunt refers to celtic and nordic mythology not some B grade movies. Another thing, the first game was more of a try out for the witcher 2, CDPR glued up episodes and even dialogs from the books witch changes and set them into new storyline which was quite entertainig for the readers and those who know Celtic, slavic, nordic, german mythology, history and such… Sapkowski’s universum is filled with references and so are the games but those reach far further and deeper than what you think.

E.g. The elves, Aen Sidh. Their elven name and their speach come from celtic. Aen Sidh means People of Hills and they have major role in Celtic mythology, at the same time their situation in the witcher world is direct reference to Jews situation over centuries including but not restricting to Hollocaust. As at the same time they also represent Polish Uprising efforts during Partiations times and Jewish partisants during world war two that sometimes were quite cruel in their actions.

Ithlin’s Prophecy is pretty much Nordic mythology Ragnarok and has somme connection with its Celtic version.

Or simpler one, Nilfgard is Napoleonic France, Tsardoom Russia, Roman Empire and German Holy Empire in one.

There is so much stuff in there I would have time write whole books about it and still probably I haven’t fished out even half.

Damn… I went sooooo much off topic… Sorry for that, you know. Fanboy mode.

#15 1 year ago