Murdered: Soul Suspect gets teaser site, web game cracked

Friday, 8th February 2013 15:37 GMT By Staff

Murdered: Soul Suspect has just been named and revealed by Square-Enix. it’s coming to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. We received a very cryptic email for the project along with some very odd images. The link in the email points to a teaser site and Twitter account.

We received three images along with the message ‘What is the hardest case to solve?’ Here they are cobbled together (thanks gingeas)

Square-Enix just sent VG247 an email to confirm the name of the game. Here’s what they said:

“Murdered: Soul Suspect is an exciting new game from Square Enix which challenges players to solve possibly the hardest case of all”

Now a web game for the title has gone live. the password is Ronan. (Thanks dex3108)

When entered, you can download the below image and message:

O’Connor, male, mid- 30s, 170lbs, 5’ 11”

Detectives aren’t supposed to get bloody knuckles, but I’ve done a lot of things I wasn’t supposed to do. I lived through it all, the beat-downs, the back-stabbing, disrespect most people wouldn’t see in ten lifetimes and I never lost a fight… until now.

Steph has noticed that the area code on the palm reading sign in the background reads ’725′. That’s the new area code that Nevada is getting in 2014. This could be a release date or setting tease?

Also notice the tree bark in the photo. Looks like it belongs to a white birch tree, and you can see the pointy-end of the leaf in the top corner. The only issue is that it would put the game outside of Nevada, as the tree is not indigenous to that area. Could be Aspen bark, but the leaf pattern doesn’t match – Aspen leaved are more round. We’ll find out soon enough.

Also, is this the new Crystal Dynamics IP they teased last year?. Superannuation seems to think its a mystery-horror title in the works from Airtight Games which he wrote about back in January.

Here’s the website image:

There’s also a Twitter account @Murdered.

1. OmegaSlayer

No WiiU. ROTFLMAO

#1 1 year ago
  2. f1r3storm

Several Square Enix Twitter accounts have retweeted that: https://twitter.com/Murdered/status/299903423787175936

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sal Romano

Hey, Dave. I think you might be forgetting that Shinji Mikami’s new horror title is coming from Bethesda Software, who owns his studio Tango Gameworks. ;D

#3 1 year ago
  4. dex3108

Square Enix EU is where image is stored :D http://cdn.sqexeu.com/files/murdered/1_PMrWPYD2.png

#4 1 year ago
  5. Klaxusprime

Xbox and PS3 listed in the source code.
    Whosidata: Naoto Sugiyama
    Senior Manager Square Enix Japan

#5 1 year ago
  6. Edo

What could it be,WOULD COULD IT BE!??! :) .

#6 1 year ago
  7. dex3108

Also background image on web page is from Eidos servers :D Interesting :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. deathm00n

In the source code there’s javascrit with a variable called _harv with the content “FATE” that’s not being used. This javascript also contain a link to another javascript at http://harvester.netops.eidosinteractive.com/harv.js

So yes, it is square enix and eidos doing… what FATE could mean is beyond me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

He worked on Cherry Blossom Murders. See above.

#9 1 year ago
  10. dreamcastnews

@1 are you really rolling on the floor laughing your ass off?

Why does it matter so much?

#10 1 year ago
  11. dex3108

This image is posted by Kotaku

It is a second peace of puzzle

#11 1 year ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

@11 That’s the same one I got in the mail.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dex3108

Ok i saw one that is in VG247 article and this one in Kotaku :D

#13 1 year ago
  14. OmegaSlayer

Because I already imagine how Nintendo fanboys will spin this news.

#14 1 year ago
  15. dex3108

And here is Web game :D http://www.murdered.com/evidence/

And this are information from image EXIF

O’Connor, male, mid- 30s, 170lbs, 5’ 11”

#15 1 year ago
  16. gingeas

Here is the completed picture.

#16 1 year ago
  17. rockebas

that images make me think about sherlock holmes game….

#17 1 year ago
  18. Stephany Nunneley

“Harmony Gove” on the antique store there made me think it might be in Arkansas. However, the state area codes don’t start with a “7″.

Also, that is birch bark in that picture and you can clearly see the pointy end of a birch leaf in the top left. I thought it was an Aspen tree at first, but the leaves on that tree are more round.

So while it “could” be located in the Ozark mountains where River Birch is especially prominent (and is all over the South), I am still thinking Nevada just because of the area code – IF the area code is a clue.

There is also a seagull on one of the signs, and a sign for bait and tackle – so it may be in Washington – or someplace close to the sea. May be nothing though. I’ll shush. :P

#18 1 year ago
  19. wishdokta

The sign in the screenshot says ‘Grove’. And the puzzle out of 3 images shows a piece of wood.
    What would you say, Dr. Watson?

/ok, Steph was first ;)

#19 1 year ago
  20. Edo

Why are you guys assuming that it’s coming out this year?

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dave Cook

@20 PS3, Xbox 360. New formats are being announced this year. Releasing a new IP too late in the current cycle with new formats out doesn’t seem likely, does it?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Edo

@21 I play my games on PC and don’t care much about consoles life cycles,nor I follow the current events that concern consoles in any way.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Moonwalker1982

Really cool! Maybe this could be a bit like the parts in LA Noire where you examine a murder scene, i loved that stuff. We have far too little games that have that. Bring it on!

#23 1 year ago
  24. Fin

The screenshot definitely looks next gen. Texture and lighting is better than current consoles.

You’re probably in the wrong case for not caring about consoles at all bro.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Because they aren’t using in-engine shots. THats Ray-tracing once again. THis is why people lap up crap games because they see unrealistic screen shots think its the game but it really isn’t.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Moonwalker1982

It reminds me a bit of the Sherlock Holmes games of this gen. I’m definitely very interested. Square Enix is doing nicely with their third party games. Sleeping Dogs, Hitman:Absolution, Tomb Raider and now this.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dave Cook

@22 So what you’re saying is that I’m probably right?

#27 1 year ago
  28. Gheritt White

This is *obviously* a render and not a screenshot, anyone can see that.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Edo

@27 I think you you need to convince yourself first,otherwise you wouldn’t edit the article.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Dave Cook

@29 I’ve got nothing to convince myself of mate. I still believe it’s coming out this year, and I edited that as technically I shouldn’t be presuming in a non-rumour piece, but I’d wager hard cash on it launching this year. My prediction stands.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Edo

@30 Leave predictions to Pachter :P .

#31 1 year ago
  32. Moonwalker1982

It’s a current-gen game, right? It’s also a new IP. It definitely comes out, cause i highly doubt they would bring a new IP to current-gen when next-gen is around (2014)

#32 1 year ago
  33. ArcticMonkey

@Moonwalker1982 I agree, Square Enix is rapidly becoming one of my new favorite developers, regarding their “western games” anyway.

This sounds interesting, too. Surprised to see its coming out for current gen systems, happy about it, but it must have been in dev for awhile. And yes, they have to be aiming for a 2013 release. Don’t wanna get too far on the wrong side of the console launch

#33 1 year ago
  34. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man. I can’t say the same about their own games though. But their third party stuff, awesome.

#34 1 year ago
  35. xino

bloody Jack Da Ripper

#35 1 year ago
  36. DSB

Someone killed O’Connor? It’s gotta be Da Man. Although he’d probably just make out with him.

Hmmmm…

#36 1 year ago
  37. rockebas

Ronan was the last name of one of the victims of jack the ripper.. maybe a connection??

#37 1 year ago
  38. Edo

@37 Nice finding,I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

#38 1 year ago
  39. napalmninja

It couldn’t be Jack the ripper because in the background of the picture is a red stop sign which wasn’t first used until 1954. My guess is for the zodiac killer.

#39 1 year ago
  40. rockebas

@39 yeap.. U right.. but who knows.. lol this image its creating a lot of expectactions..

#40 1 year ago
  41. jowadmax

If you noticed guys, there is a shadow of another man standing just next to the dead body.

#41 1 year ago
  42. FerretPersona

Hmm… the evidence image properties show that it was “taken” on the 25th of February 2014 at 15:47. Possible release date, maybe? It is a Tuesday after all…

Also I figured the time might be a bible reference perhaps. So I looked it up.

Corinthians 15:47
    “The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.”
    Might not mean a thing. But thought it was interesting.

#42 1 year ago
  43. FerretPersona

Also, Stephany – I think you’re spot on about the white birch. Though interestingly the image data also reads “MA” under the comments which I figure is a reference to Massachusetts. The white birch is apparently common there and there’s lots of coastal area for fishing too. Also, there’s the obvious Irish Mob connections with the state as well as with the name of the victim O’Connor.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Stephany Nunneley

@43 I never thought about the North East. I guess the whole “area” code thing threw me. And Kudos on that biblical reference and the date. Very interesting indeed!

Things like this are really fun, I think anyway. :)

#44 1 year ago
  45. Fidessa

I’m also wondering what a place called Sea Breeze consignments would be doing in Nevada.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Stephany Nunneley

@45 We’re all just having fun throwing guesses out there is all. :)

Every one of us will know for sure where and what and how and why when it’s officially revealed.

#46 1 year ago
  47. dex3108

And they wrote this today on twitter XD So……. you think you’ve found it all? #thehardestcasetosolve

#47 1 year ago