Konami would ‘absolutely consider’ Castlevania: Mirror of Fate HD

Monday, 4th February 2013 14:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate is rather special. In fact you can check out my hands-on impression with the 3DS title’s first three hours here. would Konami ever consider an HD re-release on other console formats? “Absolutely”, said Konami’s UK head Dave Cox.

Speaking with CVG, Cox confirmed Konami’s enthusiasm and stated that the full game has been made in HD form already, “We created everything in high definition – all the textures, all the levels, high-poly models, everything – and we kind of shrunk it all down into the 3DS.

“Then we lost bones from characters, you know, we dropped the resolution of the textures and everything to make it fit. At MercurySteam we have an HD version of the game sitting there in a computer somewhere.”

When nudged on the possibility of the HD build releasing in full one day, Cox added, “Absolutely, yeah. We would consider it. We want as many people to play it as possible. Obviously we have an exclusivity deal with Nintendo right now though and they’ve been very supportive of the product.”

Nice, and the 3DS version isn’t even out yet. It launches March 8th. My preview – again – can be found here.

1. lexph3re

Noooooowww…. I’m in waiting mode

2. Dragon246

Yup, waiting for the hd version then.
    And people connected console sales with exclusivity…..

3. lexph3re

Yup, doesn’t seem to be that way. This and Resident Evil Revelations proves that

4. Clupula

Give it. I would totally play this on PS3.

5. Greek God

lol i guess Fire Emblem will be my next 3ds game then xD

6. polygem

cool…but i want it to be portable. i think it looks great the way it is and i haven´t even seen it in 3d yet.

7. lexph3re

Well you could see it in 3D if you have a 3D display on the consoles?

I do agree it would be a nice portable but If I can get an console HD version I will go for it. Especially if Konami do like Visceral did with Dead Space 2 attaching it to the Castlevania LoS2 disc.

I would then HAVE to have it on consoles.

8. Clupula

@7 – That’d be great, but I doubt they’d do that. Dead Space Extraction was a giant flop for them, so they had to do something to get people’s attention with it. This hasn’t even come out.

Still, if this takes place between LoS 1 & 2, then it definitely should be available to the PS3/360 players, so we know the full story.

I know I, for one, don’t like playing on portables, so an HD port would be perfect for me.

9. lexph3re

@8 Yeah, it sucked DS:E didn’t do well because I really enjoyed it. But, I don’t see this doing so great either. Sure we all like castlevania but its not something parents would be running out to buy their kids. I see it doing about the same as extraction did.

Especially with our community now hearing about this news.

10. manamana

This is totally coming to the Vita once the exclusivity deal (“right now”) with Nintendo is over …

11. killersense

if it is not coming to vita then there must be a clause in that exclusivity deal that you cannot release on competitor handheld. i think that’s the reason revelations is not coming to vita as well. makes sense since nintendo is probably helping them fund the game as well.

12. OmegaSlayer

Once again guys…NO ONE can have a perpetual exclusive from a third party.
    Publishing is just a business agreement and it’s limited in time.
    Intellectual property and copyrights is where the control is.
    If something from a third party doesn’t go multi at all, it’s because of a business choice, not because there are rights.
    Gears could have gone multi too, but Epic didn’t want to lose Microsoft advertising support, that’s why it didn’t go multi.
    Even if a publisher co-funds a game, it can’t control where it will end, because the developer retains every right.
    As I already told, even Bayonetta 2 will go multiplatform after a short period of time.

13. monkeygourmet

Waiting for the HD version as opposed to what? Buying it for a system you don’t own?

3D perspective makes this game an easy port. Maybe it’ll go to 360 and PS3 over Vita though.